Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my English relos didn’t have to suffer. Thanks for the explanation. The situations there are terrifying. Cheers. More people need to care. Smile
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:49 am

The silver lining of brexit is that it may hasten Scotland leaving the UK.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:19 am

pietillidie wrote:
Now take all that into a long, dark British winter with no end of these horrid creeps, and no electable opposition, in sight.

That's the most depressing thing about this, looking from afar – the fact that such a loathsome figure as Starmer and his cronies are the UK's best hope seems like a sick joke. Plus the length of time between elections means it feels like half a lifetime before they might actually have someone decent in charge. Australian politics is an absolute dead end, but I'd actually gladly take it over the UK's right now.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 pm

^Yes, Starmer is clearly as unelectable as Corbyn, but offers even less by way of choice and constructive policy.

Either way the Tories only need to put up a shameless clown act and they get free reign.

The collapse of accountability across society obviously favours the amoral right and its billions, and the mass of lies they generate, but it's taking too long for a counter-effort to emerge.

At the moment the cycle is locked in: extremist rage > wreckage > pay for wreckage > anger at paying for wreckage > repeat.

Sane and decent people can't penetrate that cycle because by definition they aren't narcissistic or sociopathic enough, or driven by any base impulse enough, or prone to bad religion enough, to run entirely deceitful hate-based campaigns, funded by violent and corrupt money, simply to 'win'.

It's a doom loop: we need moderation but the moderate will never win.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:41 pm

The irony is, you see dead ends like this and then have to muster up your own sense of exaggerated self-importance to motivate yourself to help solve the dilemma.

I mean, you have to have tickets on yourself to some degree to even try to do something like influence society.

The trick is presumably to muster up just enough self-delusion to motivate yourself to take action, all the while knowing what you're doing is itself nonsense at some level. But that weak form of faith struggles to compete with malignant, fist-waving forms of motivation, which deliver fast dopamine rushes to their addicts.

How far can you push a 'productive delusion' before you start actually believing it and thinking your shite don't stink? The best example of this is watching the talented entrepreneur go from a productive creator one minute to a destructive self-server who manipulates markets and politics the next.

The left keeps trying different forms of moral superiority and purity, but this also collapses into fundamentalism. Those who try to avoid malignant forms of motivation end up retreating to the hills, having no influence on society.

Anyhow, the subject of motivation might hold some answers here.

roar 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 am

pietillidie wrote:

The left keeps trying different forms of moral superiority and purity, but this also collapses into fundamentalism. Those who try to avoid malignant forms of motivation end up retreating to the hills, having no influence on society.

Yep.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:32 pm

Looks like old Billy has been naughty again......

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/15/bill-clinton-to-remain-in-hospital-as-he-recovers-from-urological-infection

was it the maid or the butlers wife?

Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:06 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Anyhow, the subject of motivation might hold some answers here.

This is why I think the only hope for the left is to to focus squarely on material issues first and foremost – standard of living, people living below the poverty line, healthcare, etc. – and to make a coherent argument for why the current system is causing these very real problems and why only an overhaul (say, of the kind proposed by Sanders in the US, though we might have cause to go further here given where we're at) will cause significant improvement. For that you have to be able to target people's self-interest and speak to them inclusively (i.e. not divide people up into morally weighted categories the way identity politics has done or exclude people on a sectarian basis as many in the various radical left camps do).

I'm not saying here that we need a strident anti-identitarian leftism here, by the way – as per the last bit in the parenthetical above, people who see the world that way absolutely need to be part of any progressive movement with critical mass, and any serious left can't just pretend racism, misogyny, transphobia etc. don't exist or don't matter. What we do need to do is foster more cynicism towards the corporations, institutions and political parties jumping on the id-pol bandwagon and recognise that aspects of identity politics can play neatly into the hands of traditional capitalist forces. Achieving that kind of broad-coalition base is a big first step, but it's one that, for instance, the Sanders campaign in the US and the Greens here have managed quite well (and if you don't have a vision for getting to that stage, then just stay home or keep attending your telephone-box meetings with your twenty ideologically identical fellow-travellers, either of which has functionally the same outcome).

The next challenge, and where Sanders failed quite significantly, is using this base as a platform for reaching the large numbers of people who are not hugely politically engaged, either because they don't think the system can do anything for them or, more challengingly, because they already live a relatively comfortable (certainly by global standards) middle-class life and don't see any particular need for change. This is where I think how you get the message across is really important, and probably requires something deeper than mere material gain, as important a part of any coherent platform that is: you need to be able to talk about a better society as something transformative, something that could actually make regular people's lives better and more meaningful; talk, for instance, about social atomisation and isolation, the dehumanisation of much modern employment, the destruction of communities and the distrust and enmity spread by culture-war-style discourse.

If that's all too much to read, I could sum it up like this: come up with a left-wing platform that's so good that even right-wingers will want to vote for it – and, like everybody else, because progressive politics should be about improving all of society, be welcomed into the movement with open arms (without giving ground on issues themselves). How to actually make that happen is a big job that nobody in living memory (at least, in the West) has managed. But I feel like this premise would be an encouraging step.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:11 pm

^

Well said.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:06 am

^I get the desire here. People do retreat to in-group gains when they can't (or perceive they can't) obtain more general gains. So, the thought is to extend an olive branch, find common ground, put differences aside, etc. I think that's the goal, but you can't get there without the right treaty.

I was dealing with a good illustration of general gains today. Putin is trying to make fuel prices an argument against green energy transition, but the EU - confident in its own progress and stability - is taking this as a signal to go even harder with renewables to overcome demand spikes. Thus, confidence in EU identity and direction is trumping Putin's wedge mischief. Brexit Britain, on the other hand, is far more vulnerable to Putin's efforts (thank goodness for COP26 being in the UK, heading off this risk to some extent).

In other words, people who can see general gains are more able to stick to comprehensive plans that benefit the whole. (As an aside, when you drill down into the survey data, people in countries like Poland might complain about the EU but there is no way in hell they would seriously consider leaving it).

This then can easily become another vicious cycle: no perceived general gains > retreat to immediate group gains > less chance of driving general gains > repeat. So, you need an offer on the table that motivates people through its benefits or they will retreat into tribalism.

At the same time, a lot of 'olive branchism' is still just 'identitarianism', but running the other way.

Why would people who have been battered into strong minority identities play Jesus and Gandhi for any other group for the good of a whole that has never benefitted them? They don't see a worse world to rectify; indeed, their motivation is to do anything but go backwards in time.

The deal being offered can sound a lot like this: "Look, we understand you've worn more oppression than anyone else, but you're going to have to take another one for the team so that people who openly despise you and are a risk to your wellbeing can live slightly better off by being floor managers over you in 1970s factories at ten times the cost of going world prices."

This sort of olive branchism assumes that minority identity is stronger than majority identity and therefore more dysfunctional. But white working class identity is every bit as potent and all-encompassing as any identity out there, if not more so. And we all know just how toxic it can be.

When you drill into a lot of the thinking of the old Corbyn industrial left, that's the olive branch being extended: "How about you give up your minority identity that you were beaten into so we can finally get back our lost industrial identity that is by now little more than maudlin imaginings as we seek revenge on Reagan and Thatcher." (This goes hand-in-hand with the term 'neoliberalism', which no one can explain other that it's bad and somehow did away with manufacturing).

Also, the idea that current divisions are just or even mostly about identity - when incentive and motivation are driven by many more things - is misleading. Parliaments are full of identical-looking middle-and-upper class folks staring at each other across an aisle divided not by identity, but by interests. Competition will always separate interests that people then align with and dress up in team colours after the fact for branding purposes. So, there's an awful lot of noise to pierce which looks like 'identitarianism' but is just plain old competition.

To top things off, the terms 'identitarianism' and 'identity politics' are dubious because 'identity' is what humans do for a cognitive living. There is no 'non-identity' politics; it does not and cannot exist. And there was only apparently less 'identitarianism' in the past because society was far more oppressive of other identities and competition, not because it was more enlightened and accepting. So, we have to be sure we understand what those terms really imply.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:30 pm

I'm not sure I explained that very well, but when I tease apart suggested overtures to the new popular right, they usually entail a one-way concession to a vocal white working class, replete with fantastical economics, in order to get it to stop wrecking things.

That's problematic for all kinds of reasons: behaviourally, it rewards rage and thuggery; economically, it involves a weird redux of old industrial leftism that bears no relation to commerce as it is; and morally, it pushes the old left nationalist idea that working class white folk ought to be the centre of the universe (even as it claims morality is a middle class luxury it can't afford).

That kind of deal isn't going to wash with victims of the white working class, a group encompassing far more of society than is generally understood. Don't forget to add that segment of people in business, science, technology, academics, the arts and public service, to name a few fields, who consider themselves to have been victimised by working class culture.

Then, there's the economics of the olive branch, which speaks volumes by avoiding explanation. It usually entails some sort of vague wish about a return to a post-war manufacturing economy. That idyll, which was handed down by my grandparent's generation, already made no sense by the end of my father's career and is now firmly the realm of mythology.

As I think David alluded to above, there has never been a satisfactory expression of these ideas, which is probably a sign that their assumptions should be revisited.

Anyhow, none of that is written to discourage people. But still more efforts to position the white working class at the centre of a very big universe by invoking its economic myths most certainly won't move things forward. Even that favourite myth of the tax-havened wealthy, the 'trickle-down effect', is more reality-based than thinking you can power a successful economy with high-paying low-skilled jobs.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:55 pm

I feel like the notion of old-school left politics being fixated with the white working class is a bit of a pejorative stereotype pushed by sections of the media in the wake of 2016 – even so-called class reductionists on the left, such as Adolph Reed, are able to point out that a significant proportion of blue-collar workers in the US and other Western countries are non-white. So I don't think you can have a coherent class-first leftism nowadays without acknowledging that diverse constituency. The notion here is not that racism and misogyny don't matter and that minority groups should just cop it for the sake of class solidarity or whatever, but that material concerns are far more relevant to working-class minorities' political interests than whatever nonsense some upper-middle-class POC undergraduate is writing in a Guardian op-ed about "white fragility", Western cultural appropriation of yoga classes or the intricacies of TV show plotlines. And it's fair to surmise that that's something that a lot of working-class people from minority backgrounds would wholeheartedly agree with.

Now I should reiterate here that the above is not quite the way I see things, and I happen to agree with you that class-first leftism often comes across as merely another kind of identitarianism in which the Venn diagrams have been drawn in a slightly different way. I'd also concede that, even though I hold a much more positive view of Corbyn than you do, your diagnosis of his ideology as being infected with nostalgia for an unattainable past is hard to argue with (although I would still hold that a vision for progressive transformation tainted by fanciful thinking is far preferable to holding no vision for change at all, as is the sad case with Starmer's Labour and most other social democratic parties around the world now).

My way of thinking is not that evinced by concern-trolling centrists (see here for a classic example of the genre: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/11/lessons-donald-trump-marie-le-pen) or "red-brown alliance" types who think that the way forward for working-class power is to abandon certain (or all) progressive social issues. While I do think there are certain excesses of id-pol discourse that deserve scorn (remember when we were being instructed not to address mixed-gender groups as "guys"?), I think it's absolutely essential to not give an inch on issues like racism, gender equality, trans rights and so on, and you're not going to get anywhere by condescending to or dismissing those on the front lines of those particular causes. I don't personally think cultural appropriation is the most pressing political issue of our time, but I do think that, as a white person, it's important to listen respectfully to those from minority cultural backgrounds who think it is and consider their arguments seriously. You meet people where they are, not where you think they should be. So I think it's the personal animosity one needs to put aside, not the politics.

For instance, one thing I've argued for in the past (and would love to see more people on the left speak in favour of) is the idea of maintaining temporary coalitions. For instance, if you're a leftist building an anti-war movement or getting together organised opposition to state surveillance and, say, right-libertarians present as potential allies on those fronts, I think you should absolutely collaborate and march with them. That doesn't mean that you start softening your stance on company taxation or gun regulation to make your own politics more palatable to libertarians; it just means that, for the purposes of this specific issue, you recognise that they may be useful allies and assist in advancing a mutually agreed-upon cause, and their weight of numbers may mean all the difference in achieving vital policy change (while remaining opponents on other fronts).

It should be an absolute no-brainer, right? I'm reminded of a quote from, perhaps, Gerry Adams (I wish I could find it again, but have googled without success) in which an IRA member saw some ideological opponents marching at an anti-occupation rally and remarked in disgust, "Why are they here?", to which he replied something along the lines of "Why isn't everybody here?". That to me sums up a critical difference in how one approaches politics, and I feel like far too many on the left are like the first guy in that story – too busy ostracising fellow leftists (let alone those with even more disparate political opinions) and maintaining cliques to even consider how to go about attracting the necessary critical mass to build a popular movement that would achieve anything.

I'm not sure if any of the above fits what you're describing as olive branchism, but I hope it at least clarifies my position.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:01 pm

Pi wrote:
Looks like old Billy has been naughty again......

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/15/bill-clinton-to-remain-in-hospital-as-he-recovers-from-urological-infection

was it the maid or the butlers wife?

Laughing

Quote:
On Thursday, Ureña said Clinton was “up and about, joking and charming the hospital staff”.

It would be a bloody game student Nurse who agreed to give him a sponge bath. Wink

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:57 pm

You know what I want to say: The investment of two decades of national capital in three lost wars — Afghanistan, Iraq and global warming denial — is the greatest failure in Australian history by a country mile.

A painful two decades. It's been like watching a conman stealing an elderly person's savings as the crowd denies its happening and some even offer him a helping hand.

Quote:
A huge leak of documents seen by BBC News shows how countries are trying to change a crucial scientific report on how to tackle climate change.

The leak reveals Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia are among countries asking the UN to play down the need to move rapidly away from fossil fuels.

It also shows some wealthy nations are questioning paying more to poorer states to move to greener technologies.

This "lobbying" raises questions for the COP26 climate summit in November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58982445

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:22 am

Is extremist, is 'evangelical', is Republican — Muslim, Hindu, Protestant, Catholic or whatever flavour of fundamentalist.

It was always tacit, which is why the Republicans pick up so many Latin American immigrants. But here's what the data looks like as the extreme join forces to form one great bat-eared anti-Enlightenment block:

Quote:
Yet these non-Protestants are embracing the evangelical label for slightly different reasons. Protestants and non-Protestants have a strong affinity for the Republican Party and the policies of Donald Trump, but non-Protestant evangelicals are much more religiously devout. For instance, half of Muslims who attend services at a mosque more than once a week and align with the G.O.P. self-identify as evangelical. (Just 20 percent of Republican Muslims attend mosque once a year.) In essence, many Americans are coming to the understanding that to be very religiously engaged and very politically conservative means that they are evangelical, even if they don’t believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/opinion/evangelical-republican.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 10 of 37   

Jump to: