Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
@WPT, do try to get some facts straight.

Quote:
As for the Gaetjens inquiry, the reason we have never seen this report is because it was never completed and the reason for that, as Albanese well knows, is because it was suspended on legal advice it could prejudice the outcome of Bruce Lehrmann’s trial and because the ACT DPP Shane Drumgold had advised Higgins not to participate in it.

Oh, and the reason Gaetjens hasn’t gotten around to completing it is because he isn’t the Secretary of the Dept of PM&C anymore because, one of the first things Anthony Albanese did upon becoming Prime Minister last May, was to sack him.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/campbell-albo-had-no-explanation-for-discrepancy-between-gallaghers-statement-and-what-sharazhiggins-messages-show/news-story/45cf11ce3e8826eec006742d59a7c2de

Also, the Liberals sacked the alleged perpetrator, not the complainant. IIRC she resigned
[/quote]

And if you believe the report wasn’t completed by the partisan Gaetjens then I have a used car to sell you. Campbell is a liberal party supporter married to the failed candidate who lost in the most recent by election. The Morrison government interviewed heaps of their own insiders.

I have this Lada I know you’ll like. Drives beautifully. Only driven to the meeting of the central committee every Sunday comerade 😉 what colour would you like 😜

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:22 pm

An excellent article by Jacquline Maley of the Age:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/mutually-assured-misery-of-higgins-case-is-rough-justice-for-all-20230609-p5dfdz.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:27 pm

It is a very good article, read it this morning. Doesn't change that Albo knows exactly what happened to the report, as reported. Laughing Wink
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:22 pm

This sums it up well, from the link above:

Jacqueline Maley wrote:
Whatever you think of the merits of the bitter and thoroughly awful Higgins/Lehrmann matter, the villainising of a sexual assault complainant in the press, and the rubbishing of her privacy, is a terrible indictment on our society’s ability to administer justice.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:44 pm

^ she went to the media but now we're supposed to feel sorry about an invasion of her privacy.

Get real

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:52 pm

Harry and Megs say hello!
David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:55 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^ she went to the media but now we're supposed to feel sorry about an invasion of her privacy.

Get real

So if anything bad ever happens to you and you decide to talk about it publicly, your private communications become fair game? Interesting.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:56 am

Probably wouldn’t be dumb enough to text about it! Those texts sound mighty grubby
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:36 pm

think positive wrote:
Probably wouldn’t be dumb enough to text about it! Those texts sound mighty grubby

Not half as grubby as Higgins was treated and continues to be treated by the Liberal Party. The treatment at the time was appalling by Morrison, Reynolds and Michaela Cash.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:39 pm

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Get real

So if anything bad ever happens to you and you decide to talk about it publicly, your private communications become fair game? Interesting.

So where is the line? Assange and others distribute confidential info, in the public interest and get hailed as heros despite being charged. This one decides to do an interview for TV and try to weaponise a political party over an alleged incident that happened (12 months?) earlier and her texts get released.

I personally don't like either, but is one right and one wrong?

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:05 pm

Yes, and it's to do with power and who has it. Assange revealed government and military secrets that were in the public interest. Any good journalist would have done the same, and all of that stuff should be available through FOI laws anyway. Most news that matters comes to our attention through leaks, because those in power (in politics and business alike) have plenty of concealment strategies in place to shield themselves from accountability. To get to the truth, you have to dig deep.

Trawling through ordinary people's (an alleged rape victim, no less) text messages, emails and garbage bin is not in the same category at all. News of the World pushed this kind of practice to its most unethical extremes and rightly got run out of town as a result. There's a bit of grey area in this specific case because politicians are involved, so I don't think we can state that there isn't any public interest here – but also keep in mind that it's not the politicians' messages that are being leaked. So yes, there's a significant difference between what Assange, Manning, Snowden, David McBride, Witness K etc. have done and cases like this one.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:07 am

Bernard Keane the Political Editor of Crikey nails it again this time in relation to Brittany Higgins, the Liberal Party under Morrison especially and the right wing press owned by that American:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/06/14/brittany-higgins-political-games-punishment/

David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:21 am

An excerpt from the above article that I think summarises it astutely:

Bernard Keane wrote:
And all along, the desire to destroy Higgins, to publicly punish her as an example of what happens to those who threaten people in power, has driven a sordid media campaign fuelled by leaks. Last year I explored how the campaign against Higgins — the smears, the interference in the trial of the man she accuses of raping her, the extensive leaking of information by the Australian Federal Police — reflected a systemic response to the threat that she posed to those in power.

Since then, particularly with the leaking of her private communications, the campaign to destroy her has only escalated, and its perpetrators — an aggrieved political party and its apparatchiks, its media supporters, a deeply compromised and politicised federal police — have been joined by other media companies (coincidentally, in Seven and the Daily Mail, both owned by right-wing billionaires).

Buried within the most recent attacks, based on the leaking of texts to politicians and staff, is the insistence that there was something fundamentally illegitimate about Higgins and Sharaz attempting to generate political interest in her efforts to obtain justice and expose the toxic culture of Parliament House. Real rape victims, the suggestion appears to be, simply let the criminal justice system do its job, rather than trying to engage politicians, especially opposition politicians.

[…]

If Higgins and Sharaz are guilty of anything, it’s only what there’s an entire industry devoted to in Canberra: seeking to influence politicians to achieve an outcome. In their case, it’s an outcome they should be proud of — the Commonwealth Parliament finally took steps to curb the toxic nature of employment of political staffers and provide more avenues of redress for those who are victims of assault, harassment and bullying.

It’s OK for large corporations, media companies and the super-rich to influence politicians, it seems, but a woman alleging sexual assault? An outrage. Higgins, it’s implied, deserves to have her texts leaked, for engaging in such an activity.

She was, in other words, asking for it.

And no one is demanding that we see the texts exchanged between lobbyists, corporate executives, tycoons and politicians and journalists — something that would be far more revelatory of how power really works in Australia than the leaking of Higgins’ texts.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:56 pm

she didn't deserve to have them leaked. no one does, its privileged information, but it's out there, and its shit. I always tell my kids don't put in writing anything you might regret one day!

speaking of privileged information, you don't get to pick and choose. Stuff Assange! If he had found good information, would he have sold it? no because there is no market for it!

David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:54 pm

This thread's not about Assange, which is perhaps for the best, because I have no idea what you're talking about. Who sold what now? And what does "good information" mean, if multiple front-page stories on major newspapers don't qualify?

On the question of Wikileaks vs Higgins' texts, I think the problem has been articulated well by Edward Snowden, among others: in a democratic, non-tyrannical society, citizens should have privacy but governments should be transparent. What we have instead is a situation in which citizens have no privacy but nobody knows what the governments they vote for and the powerful institutions under their control are up to.

Knowledge is power, and the goal for those of us who care about democracy and civil liberties is to shift that imbalance back the other way – not try to create some kind of one-size-fits-all solution. We don't just "get to" pick and choose; we have an obligation to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 37 of 42   

Jump to: