Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Brittany HigginsReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
What happened to the thread ?

Anyway, Samantha Maiden writes a very good article about the whole mess.

https://www.news.com.au/national/simple-truth-emerges-as-brittany-higgins-texts-are-leaked/news-story/088b7657f1a3ef41898b3e74ed5ad07f

Quote:
Somewhere, lost in the vortex of thousands of Brittany Higgins’ text messages being leaked to media outlets, is this simple truth.

Whatever you think of how Ms Higgins, in her own words, “weaponised” her own story, nobody deserves to have the private contents of their phone disgorged across the media.

It is a terrifying precedent if we are to accept that the price of ever speaking to the media is that your entire phone is “fair game”.

Particularly when you consider that the ones who had access to her phone, and the ability to leak stuff, were member of the Federal Police.

I don't know whether she was raped or not, but it's looking like her and her boyfriend definitely went through a planned process before the public announcement to "weaponise" whatever happened to her own advantage.

The texts are mindboggling, she’s going to lose a lot with that! I have no idea what happened, but yeah, reading that I’d want video evidence if I was on the case!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

<Discussion of modération moved here: https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=92032

Thanks, David for BBMods.>

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:57 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
I have no issue as it exposes corruption in Parliament.

Agree 100%.

The best thing out of this is Lisa Wilkinson's destroyed her career. Couldn't stand that woman and her idiot husband.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:58 am

If I was representing Mr Lehrmann, I'd tell him to go underground and not say anything or been seen anywhere. The media unpicking the text messages are doing more for him than he could.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:46 pm

That’s what I thought!

If I was on the jury and read those texts I’d have reasonable doubt

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:56 pm

What are the most damning texts, exactly? I've seen a few that have suggested possible collusion with a Labor MP in getting the story out – which does indicate political weaponisation – but none of them seem to have any bearing on the actual facts of the case.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:02 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12169427/Brittany-Higgins-text-messages-reveal-secret-plot-enlist-Anthony-Albanese-senior-Labor-MPs.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:38 pm

The key allegation isn't political weaponisation by Labor, something any politician would do given a chance, but the fact that Gallagher was asked in the Senate if she knew about the story before the interview came out and said No. The texts suggest she lied and deliberately midlead the Senate.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:50 pm

Right – but that reflects mostly on her credibility, not necessarily that of Higgins, doesn't it?

I'm not sure I fully understand why Higgins and her partner would have sought to involve Labor politicians in this (presumably in the knowledge that her story would thus be used for political capital), but I also don't know what it's like to go public with allegations of being raped and what sort of protections you'd want in place before doing so.

As someone who doesn't have a particular dog in this fight or any biases towards either side (I believe in both justice for victims and presumption of innocence for the accused), my natural sympathies still lie with the woman who's saying she was assaulted unless there were compelling indications to suggest she's lying. And the question of whether or not she was raped seems a far weightier one than how she decided to air the story two years on from the night in question.

think positive wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12169427/Brittany-Higgins-text-messages-reveal-secret-plot-enlist-Anthony-Albanese-senior-Labor-MPs.html

Thanks TP. As I thought, all of this seems very far from questions about the allegations themselves, which some here seem to be subtly calling into doubt at the moment.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:02 pm

Nothing to see here. This is a Murdoch beat up as per usual.

Lets get a few facts right shall we:

A Liberal party Employee alleges she was raped in a liberal party minsters office by a Liberal Party staff member and colleague.

The Liberal party sacked the complainant.

The Liberal party held their own investigation under the mendacious Morrison government and have not made those findings public (who knew what and when)

The trial was aborted due to a friggin' idiot of a juror

Defamation proceedings occurred however when the alleged Liberal party male perpetrator had his chance to state his viewpoint in court he did not he chose to end those particular proceedings he would have had to be cross examined so he conveniently avoided that)

Other defamation proceedings remain

The alleged Liberal party male perpetrator was interviewed on Channel 7 in a fluff piece to give his point of view & was not challenged.

Release of texts by the commercial media (hello police, hello news media ) & in parallel with the hen minster Reynolds make insinuation & accusations that this is a conspiracy & Katy Gallagher lied to parliament.

At the Labor women’s conference in Perth on Saturday, Gallagher said she was “aware of some allegations in the days leading up to the choice of Ms Brittany Higgins to make those allegations public” but “did not mislead the parliament”.

“I was responding to an assertion that was being made by minister Reynolds at the time that we had known about this for weeks and had made a decision to weaponise it,” she said.

“That is not true, it was never true.

“Mr Sharaz provided me with information … I did nothing with that information. And I was clear about that at the time. So some two years ago, when I spoke with senator Linda Reynolds about it, I said to her exactly that. That I had been made aware. I wasn’t aware of the full allegations that were made public when the interviews went to air.”

Pressed on what, exactly, she was aware of, Gallagher said she was aware “that there was going to be some public reporting that a young woman [was] making serious allegations about events that had occurred in a minister’s office [and they] were going to become public”.

“I was given some information, I did nothing with that information. I was clear about that with Senator Reynolds when she raised the issue in the committee,” she said.

“When she raised it, I explained what had happened but I categorically rejected … the assertion she was putting, which was that we had chosen to weaponise that information weeks ahead of being told about it
.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jun/10/katy-gallagher-denies-misleading-parliament-over-knowledge-of-brittany-higgins-allegation

This is mostly a liberal party issue. She was allegedly raped by a liberal party staffer, she was a liberal party staffer and it occurred in a then liberal party minsters office.

The Liberal party still have not revealed the outcome of their inquiry. It also happened as part of the wider issue of the liberal party has with women & continues to have with the women.

Deflection by the Liberals and their fellow nutters of the crazy right wing press won't work.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:14 pm

David wrote:
Right – but that reflects mostly on her credibility, not necessarily that of Higgins, doesn't it?

I'm not sure I fully understand why Higgins and her partner would have sought to involve Labor politicians in this (presumably in the knowledge that her story would thus be used for political capital), but I also don't know what it's like to go public with allegations of being raped and what sort of protections you'd want in place before doing so.

As someone who doesn't have a particular dog in this fight or any biases towards either side (I believe in both justice for victims and presumption of innocence for the accused), my natural sympathies still lie with the woman who's saying she was assaulted unless there were compelling indications to suggest she's lying. And the question of whether or not she was raped seems a far weightier one than how she decided to air the story two years on from the night in question.

think positive wrote:

Thanks TP. As I thought, all of this seems very far from questions about the allegations themselves, which some here seem to be subtly calling into doubt at the moment.

I think the allegations need to remain in some doubt, they haven't been proven in any judicial arena, the alleged rapist recently did an on air TV interview where he denied everything, and when she went back to the parliamentary offices with his she was absolutely shitfaced drunk.

What comes out of those texts, to be, is the desire to use the Labor party to weaponise the interview she has done/was doing with Wilkinson, not just to maximum damage for the Libs but maximum financial reward for herself. That's motive.

My first instinct when a woman says she's been raped is to want to believe her, but that doesn't mean it happened.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:18 pm

Exactly Stu
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:43 am

I believe Ms.Higgins was raped.

I also believe that the type of personality who is attracted to becoming a staffer for the Liberal Party is also someone seduced by money, power and influence so it comes as no surprise she would seek to extract revenge in the media and gain financially if she couldn't do it in a court of law.

Personally I think the Liberal Party would want to be very careful because the question of who knew what and when regarding her allegations prior to the election before last is of far more interest and potentially damaging.

We've already heard of allegations of interference with the police investigation (from the DPP no less) as well as other instances like the husband of Senator Reynolds attending the trial during the testimony of Ms Higgins.

Then of course are the actions of the Senator herself throughout this entire ordeal with allegations ranging from her calling Ms.Higgins a lying cow upon initially hearing the accusations to aiding the defence at trial.

Personally I think Ms.Higgins initially stayed silent or was persuaded to for the good of the party (which in of itself could be seen as a reflection of character) but once she felt she was being ostracized and not rewarded for her discretion she decided to speak out publicly.

At the end of the day if you believe like myself that she was raped then it's understandable that the trauma and rage she felt was always going to explode in some manner given the high stakes environment it occurred in.

roar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:59 am

We can "believe" any scenario but how can anything be proved?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:36 pm

@WPT, do try to get some facts straight.

Quote:
As for the Gaetjens inquiry, the reason we have never seen this report is because it was never completed and the reason for that, as Albanese well knows, is because it was suspended on legal advice it could prejudice the outcome of Bruce Lehrmann’s trial and because the ACT DPP Shane Drumgold had advised Higgins not to participate in it.

Oh, and the reason Gaetjens hasn’t gotten around to completing it is because he isn’t the Secretary of the Dept of PM&C anymore because, one of the first things Anthony Albanese did upon becoming Prime Minister last May, was to sack him.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/campbell-albo-had-no-explanation-for-discrepancy-between-gallaghers-statement-and-what-sharazhiggins-messages-show/news-story/45cf11ce3e8826eec006742d59a7c2de

Also, the Liberals sacked the alleged perpetrator, not the complainant. IIRC she resigned[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 36 of 42   

Jump to: