Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kevin Rudd wins defamation against Murdoch, Sky and Cretin

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 pm
Post subject: Kevin Rudd wins defamation against Murdoch, Sky and CretinReply with quote

Congratulations to Kevin Rudd on his campaign for a Royal Commission into The Murdoch Media and their overwhelming control of the media and in Australia.

Rudd was defamed by Credlin through her lies and she’s been forced to apologise.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/kevin-rudd-welcomes-peta-credlin-s-apology-defamation-settlement-20210201-p56ykt.html

Good on him. Sign the online petition so we can try to stop one non Australian man from having so much media ownership and so much ownership of such media concentration that there becomes so little room for alternative views.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope none of the 500,000 morons who’ve signed the petition are any of the same people who complained when the ABC got raided by the AFP.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:14 am

Speaking of defamation cases, wonder if you should consider changing the thread title... Shocked

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/27/businesswoman-feminist-cretin-afr-journalist-joe-aston-wins-280000-elaine-stead

(Still trying to get my head around this one!)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:06 am

David wrote:
Speaking of defamation cases, wonder if you should consider changing the thread title... Shocked

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/27/businesswoman-feminist-cretin-afr-journalist-joe-aston-wins-280000-elaine-stead

(Still trying to get my head around this one!)

Was on Media Watch last night. He just went miles to far.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:08 am

But the judge made a point of saying that calling her a "cretin" was specifically defamatory. (I think that’s ridiculous, needless to say.)

Anyway the fact that Credlin has a show now is pretty hilarious, but I guess it’s interesting to know how the person who ran the country for three years thinks. Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:33 am

David wrote:
But the judge made a point of saying that calling her a "cretin" was specifically defamatory. (I think that’s ridiculous, needless to say.)

Anyway the fact that Credlin has a show now is pretty hilarious, but I guess it’s interesting to know how the person who ran the country for three years thinks. Wink

I didn’t realise he called her a cretin; how prescient then of the thread title 😉

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:56 am

KRudd still blames the Murdoch media for his ousting from the PM's job when it was his own colleagues who booted him due to his incompetence and lousy leadership.

Now he's suffering from relevance deprivations syndrome. Ah well, let him rant and carry on, I don't have to read it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am

stui magpie wrote:
KRudd still blames the Murdoch media for his ousting from the PM's job when it was his own colleagues who booted him due to his incompetence and lousy leadership.

Now he's suffering from relevance deprivations syndrome. Ah well, let him rant and carry on, I don't have to read it.

He's on the money though with the issue which is the thread title that is, that one man shouldn't be allowed to own so much of the media in Australia; I would have thought that basic premise is self evidently true.

Murdoch's lap-dogs Credlin in this case (what's a female dog called?) lied and defamed Rudd.

He's response was eminently and self evidently true: he could afford to go to court and make Murdoch Media accointable but Murdoch's a bully and when his company lies not everyone can afford to take them to court.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:

They are huge on media censorship of anyone who doesn't push their own views.

In the ideal leftist world, Murdoch and anyone who shares his views would be thrown in jail and the ABC would get billions of dollars more to spread their agenda.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:03 pm

I would like to think that there's some middle ground for Murdoch between "thrown in jail" and "dominates entire countries' political discourses and does his best to intervene in their democracies via his vast news organisation in order to get his preferred candidates elected". That's just coming from someone who doesn't find either of those alternatives particularly satisfactory; your own mileage might vary.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:15 pm

David wrote:
I would like to think that there's some middle ground for Murdoch between "thrown in jail" and "dominates entire countries' political discourses and does his best to intervene in their democracies via his vast news organisation in order to get his preferred candidates elected". That's just coming from someone who doesn't find either of those alternatives particularly satisfactory; your own mileage might vary.

A Royal Commission into a media owner just because a failed PM blames him for the fact he got ousted by his own party is completely ridiculous and over the top. I'd prefer Royal Commission's be into things that actually affect people's lives like the Bushfires, something Andrews the Unions were greatly opposed to. Or the Coronavirus response, something else Andrews would completely oppose. What's been a bigger problem, a media company, natural disasters or a global pandemic?

People are free to listen to or read anyone they want, to say Murdoch has that much control would surely result in Coalition governments Australia wide with no hope for the opposition, the fact the ALP have dumb policies and are still relevant suggests Murdoch's power is greatly overstated.

But then I'd like us to have a public broadcaster that wasn't biased and trying to push their own political views. I know that's unrealistic so I don't watch them, except on election night because that's highly entertaining Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:46 pm

I'm no fan of Rudd either as a politician or as a person, but I honestly don't think his motivations are terribly relevant here. I think it's clearly true that the Murdoch newspapers' relentless barracking for the Liberal Party and against the ALP in the lead-up to the 2013 election did significantly affect public perception of each party and influence the vote. Some will say that a newspaper is entitled to barrack for whomever (and however) they like, but that becomes a problem when two-thirds of the newspapers in the country – including five of the eight titles with the biggest circulations – are owned by the same person and parroting the same (explicitly partisan) agenda. That means that we have a significant problem regarding media diversity, which isn't a problem to sneeze at simply because there might be more life-and-death matters to deal with at a given moment. It kind of cuts to the core of the strength of democracy, because an informed populace requires having access to something more than one party's propaganda. That Labor sometimes wins elections doesn't mean that a thumb isn't on the scale.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Good on Rudd for taking on the might of the Murdoch empire and winning,much to the chagrin of a few righties here.The fact is Australia is not well served by the media in this country.The media here is basically a conservative echo chamber,made up of people on the right and the far right.

There’s no diversity of opinion in the media,no real investigative journalism like you see in the United States for example.The media here is weak,wishy washy,too frightened to take a stand on anything for fear of upsetting the Murdoch monopoly and the government.It’s not a healthy situation for any country that likes to call itself a democracy.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:24 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

I didn’t realise he called her a cretin; how prescient then of the thread title 😉

Just to clarify - in case there is any confusion caused by David's post: the judge didn't actually say that Peta Credlin is a cretin. In fact, the judge is a person who hasn't said that publicly.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Just to clarify - in case there is any confusion caused by David's post: the judge didn't actually say that Peta Credlin is a cretin. In fact, the judge is a person who hasn't said that publicly.

😂😂

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: