Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Oh, the Humanities!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
There's lots of ways to transfer knowledge and educate people other than classrooms and Universities.

Everything you could learn in a History Degree for example should already be available for free on the Internet for anyone interested enough to do the research. You may have to filter through the dross and bullshit but the point remains valid.

I don't have a problem with someone doing a degree in history or whatever if it's on offer, you do have to question the value of some of them.

Not really Stui. You don’t get access to quite a bit of information that by doing the course allows you to get access to quite a lot.

History is not just what happened when: that’s where wilful ignoramus’s like Slangman just get it so wrong.

I take it that you have a studied humanities at uni?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:52 pm

slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
There's lots of ways to transfer knowledge and educate people other than classrooms and Universities.

Everything you could learn in a History Degree for example should already be available for free on the Internet for anyone interested enough to do the research. You may have to filter through the dross and bullshit but the point remains valid.

I don't have a problem with someone doing a degree in history or whatever if it's on offer, you do have to question the value of some of them.

Not really Stui. You don’t get access to quite a bit of information that by doing the course allows you to get access to quite a lot.

History is not just what happened when: that’s where wilful ignoramus’s like Slangman just get it so wrong.

Mate, I’ve done apprentice like courses, worked in abattoirs, at GMH on an assembly line, worked in banana plantations and social science degrees with post grad studies, worked in the floor, in policy, education, management, closed an institution, built community houses : so don’t give me “I studied in the real world” malarkey. I’ve had death threats for doing my job in the Bush and not from drug affected arseholes either (that was from my family) 😉

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:15 pm

Covid 19 has forced a change of thinking in office workers workers in Australia, the traditional ideology was upended and many of the biases against home based working proven wrong.

It has also forced a re-think in the tertiary education sector. Universities were forced to pivot and deliver services online that were previously delivered in classrooms or lecture theaters.

is anyone here familiar with Micro Cred's? Short targeted online learning that gives a credential like a qualification.

The way things were isn't the way things will be.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:26 pm

watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Mate, I’ve done apprentice like courses, worked in abattoirs, at GMH on an assembly line, worked in banana plantations and social science degrees with post grad studies, worked in the floor, in policy, education, management, closed an institution, built community houses : so don’t give me “I studied in the real world” malarkey. I’ve had death threats for doing my job in the Bush and not from drug affected arseholes either (that was from my family) 😉

Quite a resume.
I’m sure you must be proud of what you have achieved. 👍

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:37 pm

There’s at least one occasional poster on Nicks who has a PhD in History and was a lecturer in Sport at University. Also he’s a mad Collingwood supporter.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Covid 19 has forced a change of thinking in office workers workers in Australia, the traditional ideology was upended and many of the biases against home based working proven wrong.

It has also forced a re-think in the tertiary education sector. Universities were forced to pivot and deliver services online that were previously delivered in classrooms or lecture theaters.

is anyone here familiar with Micro Cred's? Short targeted online learning that gives a credential like a qualification.

The way things were isn't the way things will be.

Yes, when you enrol and go online you get access to materials you don’t get access to when you’re a punter.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:

With the greatest of respect, Universities may have worked that way back when you attended one. I'm unconvinced it works that way now and I just spent 2 years working at one.

To be fair, that possibly has as much to do with modern students as anything

I don't want to say anything.

Well, OK, I'll say this: I remember being shocked - not "surprised", not "very surprised", absolutely shocked one day when I returned to my university for a few sessions as a guest lecturer. It was only a few years after I'd graduated but the decline in standards was fair-dinkum horrendous. This was just after that asinine turkey Dawkins upped the retention rate, meaning that kids had to stay in school whether they wanted to or not. The obvious result eventuated: the don't-want-to-be-heres dumbed down the entire system. Nobody learned anything.

These days you probably need a masters, maybe a PhD, to qualify as "university educated".

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:51 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Yes, when you enrol and go online you get access to materials you don’t get access to when you’re a punter.

Where do you think the course material comes from?

It's all available information just packaged up.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I haven't seen any information that isn't readily available elsewhere, only difference is you don't have to pay any extra for it, but given how much the courses cost, it would probably cheaper to find the info out yourself!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

With the greatest of respect, Universities may have worked that way back when you attended one. I'm unconvinced it works that way now and I just spent 2 years working at one.

To be fair, that possibly has as much to do with modern students as anything

I don't want to say anything.

Well, OK, I'll say this: I remember being shocked - not "surprised", not "very surprised", absolutely shocked one day when I returned to my university for a few sessions as a guest lecturer. It was only a few years after I'd graduated but the decline in standards was fair-dinkum horrendous. This was just after that asinine turkey Dawkins upped the retention rate, meaning that kids had to stay in school whether they wanted to or not. The obvious result eventuated: the don't-want-to-be-heres dumbed down the entire system. Nobody learned anything.

These days you probably need a masters, maybe a PhD, to qualify as "university educated".

If you were shocked then, I strongly suggest you don't go back again. The modern student, particularly the international ones who were providing all the cash, are interested only in the qualification not the learning experience.

The result is evident in the quality of those trying to enter the workforce post qualification and the remedial action employers need to take to bring graduates up to par.

I've supported University line managers who's staff all have PHD's in setting performance improvement plans for some of said staff who were struggling with things I could coach a year 9 dropout to be able to do.

I've also interviewed candidates for paid HDR positions and wondered how some were able to do basic things like bathe and dress themselves.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
That's just risible. You aren't seriously contending that human knowledge comes from the internet?

No, I'm not and never did contend that. I was saying human knowledge is accessible via the internet.

There is no "knowledge" on the internet, just "stuff". Some of it can be turned into knowledge if you have the intellectual apparatus to do so. The intellectual apparatus - the ability to reason in a particular way required by a particular discipline and to discern the useful from the merely used - is what comes from the learning: it is deliberately acquired. The fact that it doesn't much happen at undergraduate level has little to do with the humanities disciplines and a lot to do with the dumbing down that has been required of universities, progressively, since Dawkins was let loose.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I haven't seen any information that isn't readily available elsewhere, only difference is you don't have to pay any extra for it, but given how much the courses cost, it would probably cheaper to find the info out yourself!

Sheer and utter nonsense.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

You really should have done that BA.

You simply don't get access to the materials it's as simple as that. You don't get to connect the way you do in courses. With academics as teachers one gets pointed in the right direction. Doing it on your own is nigh on impossible to attain a reasonable standard that seems to evade the premise of Slangmans ignorant rant about the humanities.

Never trust the self made man (or woman)

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 pm

Unless you do a course in 2020 and you get none of that...
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:02 am

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

You really should have done that BA.

You simply don't get access to the materials it's as simple as that. You don't get to connect the way you do in courses. With academics as teachers one gets pointed in the right direction. Doing it on your own is nigh on impossible to attain a reasonable standard that seems to evade the premise of Slangmans ignorant rant about the humanities.

Never trust the self made man (or woman)

It is totally understandable that you would defend the university course that your results qualified you for.
Your constant accusations of ignorance are typical of people who have studied humanities. I’m actually surprised that you haven’t thrown in racist, sexist, bigot etc.
My view of the value of humanities as a university degree is different to yours.
There is a reason humanities courses require the lower end of an ATAR or VCE score.
As for your view about self made people, once again a typical humanities students viewpoint.
Humanities....the course people choose when they couldn’t get into anything else!!

That’s why so many either become “career academics” or end up working at Cotton On.....and yes, I know quite a few who wasted their time doing courses that got them a job in retail or hospitality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: