Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Oh, the Humanities!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, there are some things which are best learned outside of the university environment. To take a topical example, I don't believe that even the very best universities can come close to producing such magnificently ignorant jealousy and bile.
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:57 am

Tannin wrote:
To be fair, there are some things which are best learned outside of the university environment. To take a topical example, I don't believe that even the very best universities can come close to producing such magnificently ignorant jealousy and bile.

Just because I disagree with you does not make me ignorant. Ignorance is not acknowledging the fact that humanities courses offered by universities require lower entry scores than nearly any other discipline.
Again, I totally understand the justification you are trying to make for your choice of study. Maybe that bias is the basis of your own ignorance!

All you have so far done is accuse me of ignorance without proving it in any way other than it being contrary to your own opinion. No wonder our education standards have dropped significantly in the last 20 years.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:59 am

watt price tully wrote:

You really should have done that BA.

Never needed one to tell Professors and Dpt Vice Chancellors what to do Wink

Quote:

Never trust the self made man (or woman)

Possibly the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:09 am

slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Yes, when you enrol and go online you get access to materials you don’t get access to when you’re a punter.

Where do you think the course material comes from?

It's all available information just packaged up.

You simply don't get access to the materials it's as simple as that. You don't get to connect the way you do in courses. With academics as teachers one gets pointed in the right direction. Doing it on your own is nigh on impossible to attain a reasonable standard that seems to evade the premise of Slangmans ignorant rant about the humanities.

It is totally understandable that you would defend the university course that your results qualified you for.
Your constant accusations of ignorance are typical of people who have studied humanities. I’m actually surprised that you haven’t thrown in racist, sexist, bigot etc.
My view of the value of humanities as a university degree is different to yours.
There is a reason humanities courses require the lower end of an ATAR or VCE score.
As for your view about self made people, once again a typical humanities students viewpoint.
Humanities....the course people choose when they couldn’t get into anything else!!

That’s why so many either become “career academics” or end up working at Cotton On.....and yes, I know quite a few who wasted their time doing courses that got them a job in retail or hospitality.

When your premise is incorrect so too is your conclusion: I never studied humanities (as such)

The biggest employer of university graduates is from those who have studied humanities and social sciences.

You confuse two different things: an allegation that humanities has the lowest entry scores and university standards. One needs a score of over 93 to get into a BA in Melbourne. That is not low. Rural universities have lower admission requirements for a lot of courses but that does not mean Rural people are inherently stupid (although Eddie here might put up a good argument) the reason some courses have lower entry requirements are multi-factorial.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:16 am

Slangman, that's quite humorous, although I'm not sure if it's intentional. The expected ATAR to get into Melbourne Arts or Melbourne Science this year is 85 (in each case). The lowest ATAR accepted for entry into those courses last year was, respectively, 76.3 (for Science) and 76.05 (for Arts). The median score required for entry to Arts is far above the minimum required for entry to Science.

Here's the link to all the data for Monash (you may sift it yourself): https://www.monash.edu/study/courses/admissions-transparency/atar-offer-profile-report?domestic=true

As we know, it is most difficult to get into Law and Medicine and a couple of other study areas that lead to occupation in reasonably-paid employment - the rest is all much of a muchness. The ATARs are a measure of demand to get in - not the intellect required for the field of learning or to acquit oneself competently as a professional at the end of the course, still less the intrinsic value of the particular study. My daughter, for example, just finished her Bachelor of Music at Melbourne. Hers was a performance degree in voice. The entry requirement, measured as an ATAR, for Music is, relatively, quite low. That's because the vast majority of people don't have the basic aptitude required to get through the (mandatory) audition, so they don't bother applying - eg, how's your "Au fond du temple saint" (you're probably not a Bjorling or a Merrill, I expect)? It is also true to say that the vast majority of people who do that course go on to teach. Indeed many of the most elite professionals in that field have to supplement their earnings from internationally-acclaimed performances by working at Lush or Cotton On or selling bras in Myer. A very tiny fraction will, like my daughter probably will, be professional opera singers in major international opera houses (and only occasionally work in retail). The fact that the job market is extraordinarily competitive and there aren't many highly-paid jobs at the end of the degree doesn't mean that the training is not valuable. More importantly, the only way you are going to produce elite performers and develop an elite understanding of music from that pool of students is by giving them elite teaching. That could not, with respect, be done at "night school" or in a TAFE course.

Generally speaking, the people who become "career academics" in the humanities are so highly-skilled, intelligent and capable that they have burnt off the opposition - they aren't the people who "scraped in" with the low ATAR. There will, of course, always be people we think of as the exception. It is, I suppose, your "right" to disregard entire fields of critical thinking and human endeavour and to embarrass yourself by adopting your own unique worldview that identifies you as (or allows you to identify with - I don't know which) some "apex predator" at the top of the chain of human achievement. Personally, I think people who cannot play Liszt's Concert Etudes to international performance standard are not quite "all there". But I try not to allow that particular facet of my elitism (I have others - be careful what you wish for) to lead me to disregard entire fields of human endeavour and pretend that they are for "second-rate" people. In the fields I work in (no, I am not a "career academic" and I don't these days work as a professional musician, either), I have learned that many of the people I work with are brilliant at things but cannot play Liszt's music adequately (indeed, some of the best of those people can't play a note).

At one (incredibly superficial) level, everything that is taught in any undergraduate school could be taught at TAFE. It's only an obsession with a notion that some things are "hard" and others not that leads some to the view that the things they think aren't "hard" shouldn't be studied in a university.

I think you probably also need to revise some of your other assumptions, by the way - not too many of the people having a crack at your militant ignorance work in the "humanities" (whatever that means).
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:32 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
As we know, it is most difficult to get into Law and Medicine and a couple of other study areas that lead to occupation in reasonably-paid employment - the rest is all much of a muchness. The ATARs are a measure of demand to get in

You have summed up my point perfectly.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:33 am

That isn't a "point". It's just a trite observation.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:38 am

slangman wrote:
Again, I totally understand the justification you are trying to make for your choice of study.

In fact, you haven't understood a thing. (No surprise there, I suppose.)

Like several others here, I studied in multiple disciplines. Sadly, I was a very poor humanities student. Frankly, I battled with things like English Literature. I did much better in the economics, social science, and maths departments, and chose my majors from those areas.

slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:40 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
That isn't a "point". It's just a trite observation.

But that “trite observation” as you call it is a fact.
Is your ignorance precluding you from admitting this fact??

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:10 am

Yes, of course I "admit" it's fact. It would be surprising if I didn't - after all, I said it. And the semantic content of the sentence I used it in makes it plain that I believed the statement to be true. It has no potentially sensible bearing on any logically competent argument about what courses should - or should not - be taught at university.

You plainly think that your last post is some kind of telling argument. So I'd guess it's desirable just to leave it there.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 pm

Slangman, what I really want to know is what you think of marketing degrees. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHEOGrkhDp0

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:46 pm

I'd just like to welcome Slangman to the VPT.

It's a pleasant change having someone other than me or Eddie copping all the heat Mr. Green

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:

It's a pleasant change having someone other than me or Eddie copping all the heat Mr. Green

There’s chips on two shoulders (you and Eddie) where are we going to fit Slangman’s chips?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:56 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Never needed one to tell Professors and Dpt Vice Chancellors what to do Wink

Quote:

Possibly the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

No, if you’d had a bit of experience you’d know that I’m 100% correct with the last quote.

With your first quote 😉🙄😉

slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Thanks mate but I’ve finished my beer and I’m getting the hell out this Tavern 🤣🤣.

All I did was make a comment about Pringle and the horns came out.
I’ll get back to the General Discussion board where things are more football related.
I’m not really keen in engaging in online debate with people that I don’t know or who don’t know me, especially regarding politics or cultural ideology.
I’m surprised I stayed this long because I understand that we all have different views and opinions and I accept others right to their opinion irrespective if I agree with it or not. That’s the beauty of democracy.
Have fun and take the VPT with a grain of salt.

P.S WPT, as for the chips, Mexicana Doritos thanks.....and I’ll even share them with you 😊

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: