Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Oh, the Humanities!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^
I read this a few years ago.

https://apo.org.au/sites/default/files/resource-files/2019-11/apo-nid268606.pdf

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:41 pm

David wrote:
How familiar are you with Behrendt’s work outside of this review? She’s a well-respected academic with a productive track record over the better part of three decades. This is a small excerpt from her Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larissa_Behrendt

Quote:
Behrendt has been active in issues around Indigenous education including literacy. In 2002, she was the co-recipient of the inaugural Neville Bonner National Teaching Award. She has served on the board of Tranby Aboriginal College in Glebe, Sydney and has been ambassador for the Gawura Campus (an Indigenous primary school) of St Andrew's Cathedral School since at least 2012. She was a founder of the Sydney Story Factory in 2012, which established a literacy program in Redfern.

In April 2011, Behrendt was appointed to chair the Review of Higher Education Access and Outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People for the federal government. The Review, tasked with providing a roadmap for Indigenous university education, delivered its report in September 2012 and received a widely positive response for its emphasis on achievable parity targets and the re-allocation of existing resources to support meaningful outcomes such as "fostering a 'professional class' of Indigenous graduates". In releasing the report on 14 September 2012, Senator Chris Evans, Minister for Tertiary Education, accepted all of its recommendations.

What a pity such a career pathway was available to her and she didn’t just spend her working life in a McDonald’s drive thru box with the rest of us. Shocked

Is this the same Larissa Behrendt who in 2011 tweeted that she found indigenous anti-violence campaigner Bess Price more offensive than “sex with a horse”???.
Bess Price, a woman who is committed to improving standard of living in Aboriginal communities by tackling one of the biggest issues, violence.

….and Collingwood engage Larissa to conduct an investigation into “behaviour and culture”.

I laugh at the stupidity of the club in not appointing someone less toxic and more balanced.
I could’ve told you which way the report was going to go before it even begun.
Lumumba probably would’ve been more impartial haha.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:52 pm

slangman wrote:
imho humanities subjects are opinion based

Remember how a number of posters in this thread have described your view using the word "ignorant"? This is why.

What I suggest you do is enrol in a degree course in any of those subjects you basket together as "humanities". Submit a paper based on your opinion. (Or on any other person's opinion.)

If it is your very first paper in first year, you'll get marked down for it. (Because no-one expects much from a raw first-year student.)

Any other paper and you will fail. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. If you can't support your argument with evidence, you will fail. Simple as that.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:02 pm

PS: Don't bother finding someone with training and qualifications as (for example) a historian who happens to be a total idiot. It is trivially easy to find a nut qualified in any field of study ever invented. Look, for example, at the certifiable Ian Plimer, a trained geologist, and a very good one in his day. I remember going to hear him speak years ago and he was excellent. But for reasons not properly explained, he abandoned his scientific training and became a fanatical climate denier fit for publication only in The Australian.

And we can find equally loopy physicists, mathematicians, jurists, agronomists, chemists, engineers, army officers, doctors, bus drivers. Any profession you name, there are some loopy people in it. That does not mean the whole profession is worthless.

Last edited by Tannin on Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:02 pm

There's lots of ways to transfer knowledge and educate people other than classrooms and Universities.

Everything you could learn in a History Degree for example should already be available for free on the Internet for anyone interested enough to do the research. You may have to filter through the dross and bullshit but the point remains valid.

I don't have a problem with someone doing a degree in history or whatever if it's on offer, you do have to question the value of some of them.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:20 pm

That's just risible. You aren't seriously contending that human knowledge comes from the internet?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Everything you could learn in a History Degree for example should already be available for free on the Internet for anyone interested enough to do the research. You may have to filter through the dross and bullshit but the point remains valid.

Actually, Stui, that is not correct. Good universities don't teach stuff they teach you how to find things out in a reliable way. It's not about knowing things, it's about learning the skills and disciplines of discovery and verification and communication. The fact that you happen to (for example) learn a lot about the French Revolution while you are doing your history degree is not the point, what you have actually gained is the ability to learn things and think clearly about them.

You yourself know that there are things no amount of academic learning can substitute for, only hands-on experience can teach you those skills and understandings. (Different ones in different jobs, of course.) Similarly, there are things that only disciplined academic study can teach you, you can't learn them in the workplace or by walking around museums.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:29 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
That's just risible. You aren't seriously contending that human knowledge comes from the internet?

Not the whole Internet, silly. Only Facebook.

Oh, and Twitter. I nearly forgot Twitter.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 pm

Tannin wrote:
slangman wrote:
imho humanities subjects are opinion based

Remember how a number of posters in this thread have described your view using the word "ignorant"? This is why.

What I suggest you do is enrol in a degree course in any of those subjects you basket together as "humanities". Submit a paper based on your opinion. (Or on any other person's opinion.)

If it is your very first paper in first year, you'll get marked down for it. (Because no-one expects much from a raw first-year student.)

Any other paper and you will fail. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. If you can't
support your argument with evidence, you will fail. Simple as that.

Why would i want to take a step back in life.
I left school and joined the real world. I submitted plenty of essays/reports during my time at school. It was interesting researching politics and history (which btw were my favourite subjects) but as i have stated before, i don’t think that those topics are degree worthy.
History and politics (along with religion) are the most discussed campfire topics in the world. How can someone possibly be a professor of quite literally campfire discussion?
Humanities topics are important and discourse is great, but i find it hard to fathom how someone could make a career out of it because at the end of the day, paper or no paper, it's just an opinion.

I'll leave the humanities papers to the ones who couldn’t get into medicine.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
There's lots of ways to transfer knowledge and educate people other than classrooms and Universities.

I don't have a problem with someone doing a degree in history or whatever if it's on offer, you do have to question the value of some of them.

Not really Stui. You don’t get access to quite a bit of information that by doing the course allows you to get access to quite a lot.

History is not just what happened when: that’s where wilful ignoramus’s like Slangman just get it so wrong.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 pm

The fact that you are wholly ignorant about the social sciences does not indicate a problem with the field, or the people who work in it, it indicates a problem with your education - or more to the point, lack of it.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Tannin wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Not the whole Internet, silly. Only Facebook.

Oh, and Twitter. I nearly forgot Twitter.

😂

You should see how many geese I have to deal with who self diagnose with Dr Google. Quite a gaggle

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

No, I'm not and never did contend that. I was saying human knowledge is accessible via the internet. You may have heard of it, it's relatively new.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Actually, Stui, that is not correct. Good universities don't teach stuff they teach you how to find things out in a reliable way. It's not about knowing things, it's about learning the skills and disciplines of discovery and verification and communication. The fact that you happen to (for example) learn a lot about the French Revolution while you are doing your history degree is not the point, what you have actually gained is the ability to learn things and think clearly about them.

You yourself know that there are things no amount of academic learning can substitute for, only hands-on experience can teach you those skills and understandings. (Different ones in different jobs, of course.) Similarly, there are things that only disciplined academic study can teach you, you can't learn them in the workplace or by walking around museums.

With the greatest of respect, Universities may have worked that way back when you attended one. I'm unconvinced it works that way now and I just spent 2 years working at one.

To be fair, that possibly has as much to do with modern students as anything

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:15 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Not really Stui. You don’t get access to quite a bit of information that by doing the course allows you to get access to quite a lot.

History is not just what happened when: that’s where wilful ignoramus’s like Slangman just get it so wrong.

Question for you.

Would you honestly say that the quality of Nurses being turned out by the University system is better than the hospital trained ones in the past?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: