Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Impeach Trump II - Revenge Served Cold

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Even though Trump's no longer on Twitter, he's still causing some very welcome internecine havoc:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-mcconnell-gop-attack-b1803187.html

Quote:
“Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack, and if Republican Senators are going to stay with him, they will not win again,” said Mr Trump.

The former president said that the GOP would “never again be respected or strong” with Mr McConnell “at its helm.”

Not only is it delightful to see two of the Republican Party's most odious – and powerful – figures at each other's throats, it bodes poorly for their chances in the next few years if the party is going to be split between the (presumably majority) Trump loyalists and everyone else who hasn't drunk the Q kool-aid. The effect all this will have on the 2022 midterms will certainly be interesting, let alone the presidential primary that follows. Expect things to get very ugly.

My thoughts exactly.Get the popcorn.The Republican Party is tearing itself to pieces over Trump,and frankly it couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of people. Smile
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:35 pm

With a lot of these conflicts, I often think that they're overhyped: at the end of the day, one side of the conflict is so weakened that they'll ultimately be trampled by the other with few problems and the party will quickly close ranks again, as happened with the Tea Party takeover of the Republican Party during the Obama administration. But I really don't know that that's the case here: the Trumpists may be in the ascendancy when it comes to rank-and-file voters, but McConnell and the interests he represents – basically, big business and the various other crooked forces that fund the Republican Party, who are only out for their own interests and will only tolerate this Q nonsense if it gets them where they want to go – is no pushover either, and they will know full well this time around that Trump 2024 is a sinking ship that you don't want to be on. So I think there'll be a major stoush here, and I don't think it's at all certain who will prevail.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:10 pm

^

I think Biden will largely determine the winner as depending on how he goes will shape the Repubican response.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 pm

If he lives so long and can stand again. He will be 81.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:23 pm

^
That's not what I mean. It's how Biden does over his term which will determine whether the reasons the Trump supporters became Trump supporters still exist.

Whether Biden goes for re-election or not is largely irrelevant, his actions over this term should largely inform both Democrat and Republican strategy for the next election and their preffered style of candidate

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
If he lives so long and can stand again. He will be 81.

He can barely stand now.
I wouldn't let him back my car out of a narrow driveway.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:27 pm

It will be interesting as Harris has very little electoral appeal (as her own failed presidential campaign showed), and may turn off some of the conservative suburban dwellers who opted for Biden over Trump. So I think the question of whether Biden runs again might have quite a lot of impact.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 pm

Interestingly, seems like reports about a police officer being brutally killed by the rioters (hit in the head with a fire extinguisher, no less) may have been fake news:

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-false-and-exaggerated-claims

Quote:
Not only was there no reason to believe this happened from the start, the little that was known should have caused doubt. On the same day the Times published its two articles with the “fire extinguisher” story, ProPublica published one that should have raised serious doubts about it.

The outlet interviewed Sicknick’s brother, who said that “Sicknick had texted [the family] Wednesday night to say that while he had been pepper-sprayed, he was in good spirits.” That obviously conflicted with the Times’ story that the mob “overpowered Sicknick” and “struck him in the head with a fire extinguisher,” after which, “with a bloody gash in his head, Mr. Sicknick was rushed to the hospital and placed on life support.”

But no matter. The fire extinguisher story was now a matter of lore. Nobody could question it. And nobody did: until after a February 2 CNN article that asked why nobody has been arrested for what clearly was the most serious crime committed that day: the brutal murder of Officer Sicknick with a fire extinguisher. Though the headline gave no hint of this, the middle of the article provided evidence which essentially declared the original New York Times story false:

Quote:
In Sicknick's case, it's still not known publicly what caused him to collapse the night of the insurrection. Findings from a medical examiner's review have not yet been released and authorities have not made any announcements about that ongoing process.

According to one law enforcement official, medical examiners did not find signs that the officer sustained any blunt force trauma, so investigators believe that early reports that he was fatally struck by a fire extinguisher are not true.

The CNN story speculates that perhaps Sicknick inhaled “bear spray,” but like the ProPublica interview with his brother who said he inhaled pepper spray, does not say whether it came from the police or protesters. It is also just a theory. CNN noted that investigators are “vexed by a lack of evidence that could prove someone caused his death as he defended the Capitol during last month's insurrection.” Beyond that, “to date, little information has been shared publicly about the circumstances of the death of the 13-year veteran of the police force, including any findings from an autopsy that was conducted by DC's medical examiner.”

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 am

And in other fake news, an attempt to remake the law of defamation in the US - the "everyone with half a brain knew I was actually lying" defence:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/23/sidney-powell-trump-election-fraud-claims

Quote:
A key member of the legal team that sought to steal the 2020 election for Donald Trump is defending herself against a billion-dollar defamation lawsuit by arguing that “no reasonable person” could have mistaken her wild claims about election fraud last November as statements of fact.

In a motion to dismiss a complaint by the large US-based voting machine company Dominion, lawyers for Sidney Powell argued that elaborate conspiracies she laid out on television and radio last November while simultaneously suing to overturn election results in four states constituted legally protected first amendment speech.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact,” argued lawyers for Powell, a former federal prosecutor from Texas who caught Trump’s attention through her involvement in the defense of his former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

Powell falsely stated on television and in legal briefs that Dominion machines ran on technology that could switch votes away from Trump, technology she said had been invented in Venezuela to help steal elections for the late Hugo Chávez.

Those lies were built on empty claims that apparently originated in anonymous comments on a pro-Trump blog, only to be amplified on a global scale by Trump himself in a 12 November tweet in which he wrote in part “REPORT: DOMINION DELETED 2.7 MILLION TRUMP VOTES NATIONWIDE.”

Etc etc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: