Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
The US can’t allow Iran to take over the whole region.

No, of course not. That would upset their buddies, and biggest terrorist supporters/enablers, the Saudis.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:09 pm

Get real. The picture is a lot bigger than that. Taking out a few non Syrians in Syria who are indeed Hezbollah and the location is a place of weapons transfer is a smart thing to do: limited in scope. If you want Iran to take over then do nothing. That of course might be nice for those not involved and give a few on the left a warm fuzzy feeling but the “real politic” is another matter entirely.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:22 pm

David wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
I don’t know why people here are objecting to it really.It was a limited targeted strike on one group apparently.As far as we know no civilians were killed.In the CNN article it said that they scratched a second strike for fear that civilians might have been caught up in it as well.

As I said before all presidents do this sort of thing in the Middle East,even the great peacemaker himself,Trump.In the article I posted it mentioned that Trump bombed the same very group on the 29th of December 2019 and there have been various attacks before that as well ,yet I don’t remember anyone here complaining about his bombing of these people.Funny about that.

Doris, did you read the Guardian article I posted? I think it lays out some very good reasons for concern over what Biden is doing here, and simply saying "Trump / everyone else did it" doesn’t make it ok. One person died as a result of this strike – let us never trivialise such things – and the targets’ affiliation with another nation state makes it a risky manoeuvre geopolitically, particularly with a country that the US needs to be offering an olive branch to right now, not ratcheting up tensions with.

Biden is arguably the most powerful man in the world, and at any rate in charge of the biggest superpower. He needs a lot more critical scrutiny from politically engaged people than "well, nobody complained when Trump did it" (which isn’t even true – Trump’s authorisation of strikes like this received consistent criticism from the left, some Democrats and isolationists on the right alike). It’s not about tearing him down, but seeking accountability.
person? Civilian or terrorist?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:36 pm

A combatant (see previous discussion about the word "terrorist" in this context)

watt price tully wrote:
Get real. The picture is a lot bigger than that. Taking out a few non Syrians in Syria who are indeed Hezbollah and the location is a place of weapons transfer is a smart thing to do: limited in scope. If you want Iran to take over then do nothing. That of course might be nice for those not involved and give a few on the left a warm fuzzy feeling but the “real politic” is another matter entirely.

Nobody’s saying that Iran are the "good guys" here, but the sad reality is that there are no good guys – certainly not between the two powers competing to be regional hegemon, Iran and Saudi Arabia, both of which have proxy forces stationed throughout Middle Eastern countries (particularly in Syria) and are responsible for numerous human rights atrocities in those countries. My view ultimately is that it’s not really for the US to put their thumb on the scale in that regional conflict, and that’s even if they were themselves a disinterested force for good, which they’re obviously not. They’re not even helping anyone by being there.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:38 pm

So not a civilian?a genuine target of the mission? No it’s no better, but that works both ways
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:11 pm

David wrote:
A combatant (see previous discussion about the word "terrorist" in this context)

watt price tully wrote:

Nobody’s saying that Iran are the "good guys" here, but the sad reality is that there are no good guys – certainly not between the two powers competing to be regional hegemon, Iran and Saudi Arabia, both of which have proxy forces stationed throughout Middle Eastern countries (particularly in Syria) and are responsible for numerous human rights atrocities in those countries. My view ultimately is that it’s not really for the US to put their thumb on the scale in that regional conflict, and that’s even if they were themselves a disinterested force for good, which they’re obviously not. They’re not even helping anyone by being there.

Well there is no Saudi proxy presence in Syria currently (of any significance) The US needs to protect it’s interests and blasting a few “ Party of God” mercenaries from Lebanon at a site known as a transport hub for the transfer of Iranian/Russian/North Korean arms is an inherently good idea. There weren’t any Syrians involved that I’ve read about.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:17 pm

The Republican nominee wins the Virginia gubernatorial election, after 8 years of Democrat control.

Also a tight race in New Jersey as well.

Could be a sign of things to come for next year's midterms.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/republican-win-in-virginia-is-a-dire-sign-for-biden-20211103-p595qb.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:15 pm

I think history already suggests pretty clearly that the Democrats will get washed in the midterms. Certainly there's no indication that the new administration has done anything to warrant a different result (many of Biden's campaign promises have been jettisoned thanks to stonewalling by conservative Democrats in the senate, and it seems his approval rating has already taken a plunge). If so, it may well be another two-year Democratic legislative majority wasted, much like what played out in Obama's first term before the Tea Party made him a lame duck.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:13 am

^^ It's primarily a local issue, David. Matt Taibbi has written a very good article on the debacle in Virginia, and how the Democrats are, once again, refusing to properly analyse why they are losing a large number of their voting base.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:36 am

So now that the Republicans have won the Governorship in Virginia,everything is fine and dandy with the voting system and they have no problems with it.Yet when the Democrats win under the same electoral system,they scream voter fraud and want to violently overturn the election results.What a bunch of Malakas they are.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:09 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
So now that the Republicans have won the Governorship in Virginia,everything is fine and dandy with the voting system and they have no problems with it.Yet when the Democrats win under the same electoral system,they scream voter fraud and want to violently overturn the election results.What a bunch of Malakas they are.

Didn’t the Democrats perpetuate Russiagate for the entirety of Trump’s presidency?

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:27 pm

fair call
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:37 pm

Jezza wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

Didn’t the Democrats perpetuate Russiagate for the entirety of Trump’s presidency?

Trump was President? I must have missed that. What's he doing. now? Laughing
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Jezza wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

I don’t recall them trying to heavy state officials to overturn the election result.I don’t recall them fighting court battle after court baattle,and losing every single one of them,to have the election result overturned.I don’t recall a rabid Democratic mob attacking the capitol building and violently trying to overturn the result of the election at the behest of their deluded,demented leader.So in summary,no comparison at all,
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:31 am

I'm very pleased with few things: withdrawal from Afghanistan; the reinstatement of environmental protections and carbon commitments; the pushback against dangerous religious quackery (e.g., anti-vax, anti-science, anti-abortion lunacy); and the G20 agreement on a global minimum tax. I'm sure there are more advances I can't recall off the top of my head. But those first four things dwarf everything else mentioned, don't they, dementia or not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 7 of 34   

Jump to: