Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s the background on what just happened,

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/25/politics/us-iraq-iran/index.html

If you read the whole story,it seems that the U.S launched an attack on the same group on December 29 last year in Iraq (when Triump was still President).It’s funny,but I don’t remember anyone here complaining about that particular attack.Or any other previous attack for that matter.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:51 pm

Jezza wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
This was an attack on terrorist groups who have been attacking US forces in Iraq,not an attack on Syria the country.Quite a big difference.You don’t think that the U.S has the right to defend itself when its forces have been attacked by terrorists?

Iranian-backed militias are fighting alongside Assad, who are fighting Sunni jihadist groups.

The US shouldn't even be involved in the conflict.

Agreed. Let’s not forget that the hit on Soleimani was also a response to attacks on "US targets" by "Iran-backed militia" – and that almost got us all into WW3. Maybe it’s about time "US targets" got out of these countries they’re occupying altogether?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:06 pm

doriswilgus wrote:

If you read the whole story,it seems that the U.S launched an attack on the same group on December 29 last year in Iraq (when Triump was still President).It’s funny,but I don’t remember anyone here complaining about that particular attack.Or any other previous attack for that matter.

Check my posts from 2017.

I criticised Trump when he bombed a Syrian airbase unnecessarily based on flimsy evidence that Assad used chemical weapons against his citizens.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:14 pm

David wrote:
Jezza wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
This was an attack on terrorist groups who have been attacking US forces in Iraq,not an attack on Syria the country.Quite a big difference.You don’t think that the U.S has the right to defend itself when its forces have been attacked by terrorists?

Iranian-backed militias are fighting alongside Assad, who are fighting Sunni jihadist groups.

The US shouldn't even be involved in the conflict.

Agreed. Let’s not forget that the hit on Soleimani was also a response to attacks on "US targets" by "Iran-backed militia" – and that almost got us all into WW3. Maybe it’s about time "US targets" got out of these countries they’re occupying altogether?

I agree.As long as they’re there in the Middle East,there’s always the chance of them responding to attacks from terrorist groups.As the U.S congressman said in the article I just posted ,Biden is the fifth U.S president in a row to have launched strikes in the Middle East.They all do it,so he certainly isn’t the only one to have done it.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:35 pm

Jezza wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

Check my posts from 2017.

I criticised Trump when he bombed a Syrian airbase unnecessarily based on flimsy evidence that Assad used chemical weapons against his citizens.

2017 is probably too far back for me to check.But if you said that at the time,then that’s good.I think it’s good that you took a stand on the issue.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:31 am

doriswilgus wrote:

You’ve missed my point completely.
Apart from that I suppose you wouldn’t mind it if the Chinese bombed houses in Melbourne if there were anti CCP protestors living there? Because they wouldn’t be attacking Australia then, would they?
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:47 am

Deleted.CBF’d arguing with the Wally.

Last edited by doriswilgus on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 am

^ We should be careful about politicised terminology here – these people weren't terrorists, going on those articles. If they're conducting attacks on US military targets then that's exactly the same thing the US are doing to them, for better or for worse.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:35 pm

Is militia a better word,David?When they're firing rockets at you,i think it's just a matter of semantics what you call them.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:24 pm

doriswilgus wrote:

Good on him. Blasting Iranian backed terrorists / mercenaries / armed militias who are not Syrian in Syria. Go for it. The US can’t allow Iran to take over the whole region despite Trumps best efforts in making Russia, Iran and North Korea great again.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:27 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Is militia a better word,David?When they're firing rockets at you,i think it's just a matter of semantics what you call them.

Well, the US (and every other military force, state-backed or otherwise) fires missiles at people too, so that seems neither here nor there. I just think terrorism is a specific concept – generally related to random attacks on civilians that are carried out to spread terror and increase internal divisions – that is often used by governments to justify the extension of existing legal and military protocols in order to contain. So referring to garden-variety armed antagonists as "terrorists" can end up being a propaganda tool for governments looking for shortcuts and justifications for illegitimate military strikes.

Otherwise, I think this piece lays out what’s at stake pretty well:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/26/biden-iran-deal-diplomacy-syria

Quote:
Presumably, Biden wanted to signal to Iran that it would pay a heavy price if it ordered attacks against US troops in order to pressure Washington to return to the Iran nuclear deal. But by bombing Syria for this reason, Biden proved how failing to rejoin the nuclear agreement endangers US national security – Iran’s nuclear program continues to advance while the US and Iran glide closer to a military confrontation.

Biden knows these arguments quite well. He made them against Donald Trump only a few months ago. His top officials have spent the past years extensively criticizing Trump’s maximum pressure strategy. They were all correct.

Which makes his steps on Iran in his first month all the more perplexing. While Biden’s intent to return to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) seems unquestionable, good intentions and good strategy are not the same thing. Rather than bringing diplomacy back, Biden appears to be falling back into old patterns where appearing tough trumps being smart and where diplomacy is merely a slogan sprinkled on policies centered on coercion, not a genuine give and take.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

Good on him. Blasting Iranian backed terrorists / mercenaries / armed militias who are not Syrian in Syria. Go for it. The US can’t allow Iran to take over the whole region despite Trumps best efforts in making Russia, Iran and North Korea great again.

I don’t know why people here are objecting to it really.It was a limited targeted strike on one group apparently.As far as we know no civilians were killed.In the CNN article it said that they scratched a second strike for fear that civilians might have been caught up in it as well.

As I said before all presidents do this sort of thing in the Middle East,even the great peacemaker himself,Trump.In the article I posted it mentioned that Trump bombed the same very group on the 29th of December 2019 and there have been various attacks before that as well ,yet I don’t remember anyone here complaining about his bombing of these people.Funny about that.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 pm

doriswilgus wrote:

Good decision.
It’s very hard to argue when you don’t understand.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:42 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

Good decision.
It’s very hard to argue when you don’t understand.

I do understand.You just didn’t make a very good point,
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:55 am

doriswilgus wrote:
I don’t know why people here are objecting to it really.It was a limited targeted strike on one group apparently.As far as we know no civilians were killed.In the CNN article it said that they scratched a second strike for fear that civilians might have been caught up in it as well.

As I said before all presidents do this sort of thing in the Middle East,even the great peacemaker himself,Trump.In the article I posted it mentioned that Trump bombed the same very group on the 29th of December 2019 and there have been various attacks before that as well ,yet I don’t remember anyone here complaining about his bombing of these people.Funny about that.

Doris, did you read the Guardian article I posted? I think it lays out some very good reasons for concern over what Biden is doing here, and simply saying "Trump / everyone else did it" doesn’t make it ok. One person died as a result of this strike – let us never trivialise such things – and the targets’ affiliation with another nation state makes it a risky manoeuvre geopolitically, particularly with a country that the US needs to be offering an olive branch to right now, not ratcheting up tensions with.

Biden is arguably the most powerful man in the world, and at any rate in charge of the biggest superpower. He needs a lot more critical scrutiny from politically engaged people than "well, nobody complained when Trump did it" (which isn’t even true – Trump’s authorisation of strikes like this received consistent criticism from the left, some Democrats and isolationists on the right alike). It’s not about tearing him down, but seeking accountability.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 6 of 34   

Jump to: