Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Let say 2021 starts poorly....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikel3030 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:49 am
Post subject: Re: Let say 2021 starts poorly....Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
So I am talking disaster start... for me if we are 0-5 Buckley goes during the season. If we drift along as I expect some good wins and respectable losses, we wait till the end of the season.

The only way Buckley survives beyond 2021 for me is a top two Finnish.

What do you all think? At what point would you make a move on the coach? What is an acceptable start and end point for 2021? (Leavening aside an obvious Premership).

Edit: and another question...if Buckley was to be replaced mid year..Who comes in as interim coach?

We wont - we have a top 4 team
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
You can’t talk logic to the Buckley haters mate. They want Buckley out. I hope the club assesses the situation and makes the best choice for Collingwood, not to please these anti Buckley agitators.🙄

“These Anti-Buckley agitators”
Some of those evil devils, of which I’ve been right up front since 2011, when it became clear that we were determined to pull off the biggest self-inflicted since Melbourne thought it might be clever to dump that Norm Smith bloke.
We may have been evil, but we were consistently correct about what would happen as a result of that genius move, the greatest cock-up in the history of... history.
Personally I forecast that he’d have us out of finals within 4 years. I misjudged him. It only took 3. What followed was one of our longest finals droughts until a slew of new players & an assistant coach (Longmuir) put something like confidence back into the side in 2018.
But after 2013, when it was clear he had no great coaching insight, & his primary tactic was to blame the players, taking zero responsibility on himself, I renewed my call to dump him. He’d chased off half the 2010 Premiership side already, & seemed determined to finish the job. I can remember few more depressing periods in my 50 years as a Magpie, save perhaps the mid-‘80s & the late ‘90s, but at least, unlike the ‘70s, we didn’t have a great list in those periods, in the early to mid ‘teens’ we had champions on every line, but couldn’t finish out a season, in fact in 2014 & 15 we were top 4 at the halfway mark, only to plummet out of finals contention by the end. ThT was about as depressing as it gets.
So what was the ‘logic’ you had in mind Lazza?
Was Buckley hard done by? Underrated? At the time the ‘Sunshine Brigade’, like Buckley, blamed the players for everything, & blamed our annual injury toll on ‘bad luck’. They then attempted to get rid of as many ‘Buckley Haters’ as possible by fair means or foul.
Not a period I remember fondly.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Lazza wrote:
Not sure Clarkson would want to come to Collingwood. He is not a “grooming a team for a flag” coach, more a coach who would be great for a team on the brink of flag success. Realistically I very much doubt we would be in that position for a while unless we make the grand final this season, which is unlikely.

This could be right, or... consider this...

Clarkson turns 53 in April. He has spent his life playing football or coaching football. Like many of us that have notched the half century we are now eyeing the finish line with trepidation. Do we change careers now? Can we continue doing what we are doing to get to the end? If someone offered him a possible 10 years, and we would be desperate enough to offer him 5 straight up, then probably he might take it. The other questions possibly in his mind is can he get to the end at Hawthorn? Does he want to do media instead? What about family time? He has options, where will his mid-life crisis take him?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

starts poorly???? i mean what $$%^%%$ next!!!
Adz 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:10 pm

I’d be shocked if he he wasn’t also moved on before round One.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:50 pm

Adz wrote:

think positive wrote:
starts poorly???? i mean what $�$%^%%$ next!!!

They move Buckley on before round 1 (see above) and make Adz coach. Just sayin'. Laughing
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:53 pm

Cam wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Not sure Clarkson would want to come to Collingwood. He is not a “grooming a team for a flag” coach, more a coach who would be great for a team on the brink of flag success. Realistically I very much doubt we would be in that position for a while unless we make the grand final this season, which is unlikely.

This could be right, or... consider this...

Clarkson turns 53 in April. He has spent his life playing football or coaching football. Like many of us that have notched the half century we are now eyeing the finish line with trepidation. Do we change careers now? Can we continue doing what we are doing to get to the end? If someone offered him a possible 10 years, and we would be desperate enough to offer him 5 straight up, then probably he might take it. The other questions possibly in his mind is can he get to the end at Hawthorn? Does he want to do media instead? What about family time? He has options, where will his mid-life crisis take him?

Doesn't really fit the media 'mold' personality wise imo, I mean I'm not saying he wouldn't be involved 'somehow' but I can't see him doing a Leigh Matthews.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Adz wrote:

think positive wrote:
starts poorly???? i mean what $�$%^%%$ next!!!

They move Buckley on before round 1 (see above) and make Adz coach. Just sayin'. Laughing
i really LOL!

Maybe Adz coulda done better! Just sayin!

Last edited by think positive on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:56 pm

I think football is the least of our worries now. With Emirates now gone we'll be lucky to have any sponsors left.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Time to revise, so we are among a group of sides who have started more down then up...

The Loss to the Dogs (they are a very good football side) and deserve the spot in which they find themselves.

The Win against Carlton (good win, well played and gave some hope).

The Loss to the Lions , yes they are a good side..but ouch...no excuses we should have won it.

...The loss to GWS...this one is the real worry, once again, coming up against and injured and out of form side, and we fall flat on our face. If we had been missing the quality of players they had been, it would have been a 60 point drumming.

The real concern for me out of this game was this...our forward line and midfield have been abysmal for awhile, but now, finally, our one strength..the backline is starting to break.

We may pinch a win against one of Essendon or West Coast....I fear however we are in line for two big losses.

This brings me back to the point of this thread. As I have felt all along...Collingwood has Buckley's replacement already in mind. If this is the case, at what point do they pull the trigger and put the caretaker in place?

Lose to West Coast and Essendon....I think they will make the move.

Surely they won't let the absurdity drag on? They won't discuss a extension...meanwhile the losses build and the team looks increasingly a shambles.

They have to completely cut ties with the latter Eddie years....Buckley remains the last major part of it. Right, wrong or indifferent...I have no personal issue with Bucks...but the club wants a clean slate...so the move has to be made at some point....or Bucks decideds to walk...this could also happen and would be completely understandable.

slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:44 pm

derkd wrote:

This brings me back to the point of this thread. As I have felt all along...Collingwood has Buckley's replacement already in mind. If this is the case, at what point do they pull the trigger and put the caretaker in place?

Who is their preferred replacement?

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:49 pm

slangman wrote:
derkd wrote:

Guess we'll find out in about a month.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:44 pm

After Rd 4, we are 1 - 3 and will be in 14th position.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:13 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
slangman wrote:
derkd wrote:

I still have my money on Clarkson.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:18 pm

derkd wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
slangman wrote:
derkd wrote:

I still have my money on Clarkson.

I could be wrong, might be someone else. But I think whom ever it is they will put in a care taker, either Havey or Sanderson. The latter would be my pick as caretaker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: