Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Let say 2021 starts poorly....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

neil wrote:
What if we go 5 0 ? Do we give Bucks a contract extension?
What if we end up top 4?
What if we win the GF?

A bit early with the sack Buckley threads

To be fair, I never called for Buckley to be sacked in the discussion of this thread.

My point was more what others consider to be the "tipping" point of the season IF things go badly. And secondly, who would take over as intterim coach (for my mind it would be Sanderson).

If we go 5-0 and we make top four. Well that is fairly straight forward, I think barring a Clarkson being available, Buckley gets a twelve month extension.

I just have a feeling the club is up to something. Eddie steps down, Buckley has been at the club almost ten years. Graham Wright comes back.... I feel like Bucks card has been stamped.

I am not calling this for or against. I just have a feeling that barring a top 2...possibly top 4 finish. I think he will be moved on.

Eddie goes, make a clean break from his time. New president, new coach. The club can turn a page from the disaster of a trade period. Can start a fresh with a new narratives and sell memberships on a new look and "hope"...it is a PR win. And let's face it the club is desperately seeking good PR.

I called Stephenson gone late during the season last year. And I called Beams gone well before he went to the Lions (more then a few on here called me a idiot at the time).

I have that feeling again. Unless the coach and team "shoot the lights out" as it were.I think Buckley will be gone.

Last edited by derkd on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Not sure Clarkson would want to come to Collingwood. He is not a “grooming a team for a flag” coach, more a coach who would be great for a team on the brink of flag success. Realistically I very much doubt we would be in that position for a while unless we make the grand final this season, which is unlikely.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Lazza wrote:
Not sure Clarkson would want to come to Collingwood. He is not a “grooming a team for a flag” coach, more a coach who would be great for a team on the brink of flag success. Realistically I very much doubt we would be in that position for a while unless we make the grand final this season, which is unlikely.

You might be right Lazza, but I actually think we are not far at all from a flag. We are bereft of a key forward (stating the obvious i know). The nucleus of the team is however very strong.

Clarkson may well recognise just how much tallent Collingwood has, and what tweaks are needed to get them over the line.

He (Clarkson) is facing some similar issue at Hawthorn, that Buckley is at Collingwood. Namely a team that should be preforming better then it is. With one major difference, Collingwood has gone through the rebuilding and has the youth to work with. Hawthorn has not even started its rebuild and has one of the oldest lists going into 2021..also after sixteen years the walls at Hawthorn must be starting to feel old for him.

The temptation could well be there for him. He may also say I have four flags I want to retire a legend of the game....name me the last coach who retired happily.....aside from Leigh Matthews lol.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 pm

You may be right derkd. You have lifted my confidence a bit by your astute and logical comments. May it be so and come to pass as reality.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
piedys wrote:
Guys, just on this retro failure by the club... IIRC, didn't Williams negotiate with Richmond first, simply as a tyre-kick to inflate his market-value? Then Matthews got wind of this, and decided it wasn't fit that a club captain shop himself to another team, then duly sacked him?
As each VFL club had to offload two players to the inaugural Bears list 1987, Williams was our sacrificial lamb, along with O'Brien. Essendon arseholed Raines and Richardson, to much mirth, to avoid a mutiny.
But Williams would certainly have been welcomed to stay in 1987, from my viewpoint too. He might have made some difference in 1988, when we tailed off in September, and may or may not have still got a senior game by 1990, when he retired during that season.... Shaw would have still remained captain in waiting.

Happily, Williams was afforded appropriate respect by our players when he finished his playing career against our Club in 1990. He carried himself with great dignity and pride after he left Collingwood, as he did when he played for us - including the day he almost carried the Club to victory with the single-greatest quarter played in a Grand Final by a Collingwood captain since the 1950s. The revisionism of some (not you, Dyso) makes me angry - he gave us absolutely everything while he was with us and - but for some serious non-performances by other alleged "stars" in the 1981 Grand Final - would be remembered as a premiership captain. He was a wonderful player - and I didn't begrudge him leaving. I was sad at the time but, frankly, the New Magpies had almost destroyed the Club and it was a surprise anyone stayed.

I agree with what has been said above.

I have no issue at all with players talking to other clubs to get an indication of what they may be worth on the open market. It happens every day and does not mean that a player intends to leave.

Williams is one of my all time favorite players. I had the utmost respect for him as a player and still do. I too was sad when he left, but very happy for him when he won a premiership as a coach. I was hopeful in the past that we would recruit him as an assistant to help Buckley in areas in which Buckley is deficient, such as dealing with the wilder players. Ask Richmond people about why Dusty is such a great player and invariably they turn the conversation to the influence of Mark Williams.

I was quite stunned that a Collingwood supporter could call Mark Williams an arsehole. Lazza, you sound like a jilted lover.

Last edited by 5 from the wing on debut on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:07 am

Lazza wrote:

I don't agree with that.

Hawthorn finished 9th in 2003 then second last in 2004.

Clarkson took over in 2005 and they didn't play finals until 2007. They then won the unexpected flag in 2008.

They had some personnel changes then came back to win premierships in 2013-2015.

Whilst he did have the benefit of some good recruiting decisions, he's not Alan Joyce and he would almost be the textbook example of grooming a team for a flag.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:29 am

All good. Great debate and discussion. Different opinions. My view of Williams was based on what I felt at the time as a mad Williams fan. I felt let down, sad, deflated and upset. I was also young, naive, immature and cutting my teeth. My reaction today would be apathy & ridding him, far more concerned about his replacement, streetwise & less wet behind my ears.
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:30 pm

slangman wrote:
If we make the top 8, Buckley will stay.
A finish between 9th-12th would be touch and go whilst anything lower than 12th would be the end of Bucks tenure.

Disappointing as it well may be, I am expecting us to struggle to finish in the Top8 this year. I just dont think this team is capable of challenging for the flag.

2018 just fell our way, and we should have taken it when it was ours for the taking.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:48 am

SteveH67 wrote:
slangman wrote:
If we make the top 8, Buckley will stay.
A finish between 9th-12th would be touch and go whilst anything lower than 12th would be the end of Bucks tenure.

Disappointing as it well may be, I am expecting us to struggle to finish in the Top8 this year. I just dont think this team is capable of challenging for the flag.

2018 just fell our way, and we should have taken it when it was ours for the taking.

That right their is the story of the Collingwood football club for the last 70 years is it not? We love to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the ONE game that matters.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:58 am

In a funny way that is a reason why I find barracking for Collingwood so damn alluring. You know that whenever we win an illusive flag, the massive celebrations are totally out of this world and incredibly memorable. However being patient is what I find problematic🙄
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:39 pm

Lazza wrote:
... You know that whenever we win an illusive flag, the massive celebrations are totally out of this world and incredibly memorable. ...

Hope we don't win one of those. Shocked Wink
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 pm

K wrote:
Lazza wrote:
... You know that whenever we win an illusive flag, the massive celebrations are totally out of this world and incredibly memorable. ...

Hope we don't win one of those. Shocked Wink

Oops 😆😎 lol 😝
Prefer an elusive flag without the ills that go with it😊

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:21 pm

The landscape will move quickly from the off season racism report straight to the quality of the list & future of the coach come March 19.
We have a critical first 6 games - The Dogs in a 50-50% (The Adam Treloar Cup), The Blues (we may start fave), Lions away (underdog), GWS at home (fave), Eagles away (underdog).
3 & 2 would be the pass mark we are looking for here, but they are all tricky games. We then follow those up with an Anazc Day clash against the Bombers off a Perth game. I believe that if we are 1-4 coming into Anzac Day and lose Anzac Day in front of the footy world, the pressure will mount on Buckley right there & then. We need to win the first two winnable games, just to keep the wolves from the door.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
WE will be one of the youngest sides now, pretty young list, so im not expecting a lot, just show progress, under Bucks, the kids show heart, guts, courage and jell together, win some big games, and finish on a high,for a real flag tilt the following season. If Bucks can mould this team into a great unit, thi season my guess he will get at least one more year.

NO!! Not "if bucks can jell this group together and win some big games"..that is retrograde. He has had 10 years to do that. Unless he gets us to Top 4 in 2021, he is automatically gone in my view. Enough excuses. He disgraced himself in his treatment of both Adz and JS. The catastrophic trading season we had was on his watch. 2018 was likely due just as much to Longmiur and Hocking as to Bux. We need to get rid of him unless he proves he actually has some ability. Top 4 2021, or else get rid of him and start afresh. We have a year to look for a coach.

Really, I don't want him screwing with these young players who are our bright new hope according to some. Under Buckley they will end like all the previous bright new hopes that Buckley has stuffed around. The sooner he retires or is sacked the better. Then he can go off and work on Volume II of his wonderful book. Though something tells me the coming volume will end on the remainder shelves at bargain prices a lot quicker than volume one did.

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:43 am

Not sure how much worse 2021 could start..... actually I hope we never find out.
I don’t think the title of this thread is a hypothetical question anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: