Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Let say 2021 starts poorly....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
So finishing fourth at the end of the H and As and then not winning a final would mean what ? ( other than finishing fifth or sixth )

I doubt if Buckley will be measured by wins and losses in 2021.
As long as they compete strongly every week and we develop a few kids, I would think that should be enough to get him the gig in 2022.
Having said that, the heat would be right on him in 2022.
I hope it is not true,that he cant be judged by wins and losses in 2021. In fact, this is exactly the criterion he must be judged by. He has had 10 years. He can, and must, be judged by wins and losses in 2021. Why delay the heat until 2022? This is just more backsliding and delaying Judgement Day
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:30 am

Piesnchess wrote:
WE will be one of the youngest sides now, pretty young list, so im not expecting a lot, just show progress, under Bucks, the kids show heart, guts, courage and jell together, win some big games, and finish on a high,for a real flag tilt the following season. If Bucks can mould this team into a great unit, thi season my guess he will get at least one more year.

Just no - flag or bust, he's had ten years already.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:41 am

90 nice wrote:
Nope Bucks has to go regardless had enough of him and his attitude too. Time to go.

Blunt, but apt. Will give him breathing space only if we get Top 4 in 2021.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:18 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
So finishing fourth at the end of the H and As and then not winning a final would mean what ? ( other than finishing fifth or sixth )

I doubt if Buckley will be measured by wins and losses in 2021.
As long as they compete strongly every week and we develop a few kids, I would think that should be enough to get him the gig in 2022.
Having said that, the heat would be right on him in 2022.
I hope it is not true,that he cant be judged by wins and losses in 2021. In fact, this is exactly the criterion he must be judged by. He has had 10 years. He can, and must, be judged by wins and losses in 2021. Why delay the heat until 2022? This is just more backsliding and delaying Judgement Day

By extension, what I mean is that if we are competing strongly and we are developing kids along the way, then we would be winning more than losing anyway.
We’re still a reasonable team when we’re switched on, it’s just that we’re no longer flag material in the short term.
I believe Buckley will and should be measured by his ability to keep us “ switched on “ in 2021. If he’s seen to be getting the best out of what he’s got, then I don’t see why you would sack him.
Why should he have to make the top four to survive when he doesn’t have a top four list to work with ? ( close to a third of this list haven’t played more than a couple games of senior footy yet )
For mine, when he loses the players is when you move on him.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:28 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
WE will be one of the youngest sides now, pretty young list, so im not expecting a lot, just show progress, under Bucks, the kids show heart, guts, courage and jell together, win some big games, and finish on a high,for a real flag tilt the following season. If Bucks can mould this team into a great unit, thi season my guess he will get at least one more year.

Just no - flag or bust, he's had ten years already.

Mate, thats wishful thinking, im realistic, we cannot win the flag with such a young list now, not this season, not yet, we simply wont be ready yet, too inexperienced, we have lost a shitload of older, experienced players, with hundreds of games between them. Id be content to make the 8, give these kids some Finals taste early on.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:24 pm

A premiership and only a premiership in 2021 will save Buckley. From runners up and down Bucks has to go and go for good. Get out of footy all together.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 pm

He'll do media 100%er he was doing very well there before be became an assistant coach
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:21 pm

You don't run a business purely on 'what ifs', particularly on the number of wins we expect in one season. I don't expect that's what the Club heirachy are waiting for. I susepct the die has already been cast.
The Club will have a contingency plan and they would have asked the question by now, what's required to make a multi-year flag push and one that resembles the Hawks / Tigers success?

Our DNA was built on premierships and it's been 43 years since consecutive flags in a decade (53 & 5Cool.

The appointment of Wright, the stepping down of Eddie, list turnover through the draft all points to a marked change in the direction of the Club.
I expect Craig Kelly won't be far behind as the President designate and Buckelys contract will be extended, unless they are able to dislodge Mitchell from Hawthorn along with Wright...

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:29 pm

neil wrote:
What if we go 5 0 ? Do we give Bucks a contract extension?
What if we end up top 4?
What if we win the GF?

A bit early with the sack Buckley threads

9+ years early.... okayyyyyy..... Laughing

Im not saying keep Bucks after 2021 just sack Bucks in January is too early

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:34 pm

neil wrote:
neil wrote:
What if we go 5 0 ? Do we give Bucks a contract extension?
What if we end up top 4?
What if we win the GF?

A bit early with the sack Buckley threads

9+ years early.... okayyyyyy..... Laughing

Im not saying keep Bucks after 2021 just sack Bucks in January is too early

OK.
February then?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:31 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

I think that your view may be a bit skewed and that you are being a bit hard on Williams. I took the text below from The Roar website:

"By 1983, new Collingwood coach – and his former SANFL Port Adelaide coach – John Cahill made him captain. In 1984, he led Collingwood’s goal-kicking with 53.31. In 1986, he led the players through the request to take a 20 per cent pay cut.

Williams grew disgruntled when he learnt that he – the club’s captain – was the eighth highest paid player on Collingwood’s list. Collingwood felt Williams was holding them to ransom and sacked him. Allegedly, there was never any conversation between the two.

Williams had barely missed any footy in his six years at Collingwood (just three games) and was definitely one of Collingwood’s better players – especially during that time everything was unravelling.

He was uncompromising on the field, a strong leader, and could play on the ball or forward. He’s one of the toughest players I’ve seen, and would be held in higher regard had his career not being depreciated by his tenure at the fizzling Brisbane Bears.

I thought both Daicos and Williams deserved better – especially given the state of the club when each were discarded".

Guys, just on this retro failure by the club... IIRC, didn't Williams negotiate with Richmond first, simply as a tyre-kick to inflate his market-value? Then Matthews got wind of this, and decided it wasn't fit that a club captain shop himself to another team, then duly sacked him?
As each VFL club had to offload two players to the inaugural Bears list 1987, Williams was our sacrificial lamb, along with O'Brien. Essendon arseholed Raines and Richardson, to much mirth, to avoid a mutiny.
But Williams would certainly have been welcomed to stay in 1987, from my viewpoint too. He might have made some difference in 1988, when we tailed off in September, and may or may not have still got a senior game by 1990, when he retired during that season.... Shaw would have still remained captain in waiting.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 pm

90 nice wrote:
A premiership and only a premiership in 2021 will save Buckley. From runners up and down Bucks has to go and go for good. Get out of footy all together.

Jock Mchale, Norm smith, Barrassi, or even Clarko, could not take this now young list to a flag this year, they wont be ready, lack experience, just too young. We delisted a lot of very experienced players, thats a fact. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:31 pm

You can’t talk logic to the Buckley haters mate. They want Buckley out. I hope the club assesses the situation and makes the best choice for Collingwood, not to please these anti Buckley agitators.🙄
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:01 pm

We're not haters, we're optimists.. we see a bright future for the Pies once we finally close this sad sorry chapter in our clubs history...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:08 pm

piedys wrote:
Guys, just on this retro failure by the club... IIRC, didn't Williams negotiate with Richmond first, simply as a tyre-kick to inflate his market-value? Then Matthews got wind of this, and decided it wasn't fit that a club captain shop himself to another team, then duly sacked him?
As each VFL club had to offload two players to the inaugural Bears list 1987, Williams was our sacrificial lamb, along with O'Brien. Essendon arseholed Raines and Richardson, to much mirth, to avoid a mutiny.
But Williams would certainly have been welcomed to stay in 1987, from my viewpoint too. He might have made some difference in 1988, when we tailed off in September, and may or may not have still got a senior game by 1990, when he retired during that season.... Shaw would have still remained captain in waiting.

Happily, Williams was afforded appropriate respect by our players when he finished his playing career against our Club in 1990. He carried himself with great dignity and pride after he left Collingwood, as he did when he played for us - including the day he almost carried the Club to victory with the single-greatest quarter played in a Grand Final by a Collingwood captain since the 1950s. The revisionism of some (not you, Dyso) makes me angry - he gave us absolutely everything while he was with us and - but for some serious non-performances by other alleged "stars" in the 1981 Grand Final - would be remembered as a premiership captain. He was a wonderful player - and I didn't begrudge him leaving. I was sad at the time but, frankly, the New Magpies had almost destroyed the Club and it was a surprise anyone stayed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: