Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who are you looking forward to seeing this year?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been flatter about the pies entering a season. I'd have to go back to when I didn't follow footy as a kid. The trade period has made me flat as a pancake about the pies. Not going to a game in a season doesn't help either. Richmond winning doesn't help. That no hoper club has well and truly passed us. It embarrassing and a shows complete inadequacies of the clubs leadership.

I'll watch games, and hope the spark returns watching some kids come through.

I'm meh about this season.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 pm

^^^^^^^

I can totally empathise where you are coming from šŸ˜„ it is really distressing because the club is solely responsible for our current plight. The lack of strong recruiting (like the Aints did last season) leaves me gobsmacked, let alone all the other bullshit that eventuated. I will use my membership occasionally rather than regularly. Really frustrated about the situationšŸ˜–šŸ˜«

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:16 pm

Im taking the pressure off and wont be expecting finals. If we make the top eight then that will be a bonus. A part of me still feels like we can have a great season, because stranger things have happened. Maybe this exit of players will rejuvenate us!!

I am looking forward to seeing the young guns and if we played them to discover some gems for the future it would be a positive, even if we dropped winning alot of games. If we fell down the ladder and had some incoming first round picks to bargain with ( or use ) in 2022/23, that would be a positive as well. Combined with a probable huge free agent signing it indicates a bright future and possibly another premiership for Pendles before he retires.

This upcoming season for me is all about hitting the reset button and starting again.

Who knows we may even be ahead of the curve with the latest blood letting as far as player payments and salary cap management goes, as compared to other clubs!!

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 pm

Agree this 2021 season is all about re set and a re start to the team and the footy department at Collingwood in general. Iā€™m too not expecting much either make finals is a bonus but all in all not expecting much or anything. To me itā€™s the very start of watching the kids start their footy careers.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Ideal scenario would be Bux gets a one year extension and coaches in 2022, Pendles still playing and ala Maxwell from 2010, announces Collingwood are going to win it. Along with a big free agent coming in to the midfield, several youngsters flying and DeGoey winning the Brownlow in our premiership year 2022.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 pm
Post subject: Ruthless pleaseReply with quote

Like to see ruthlessness enter our mind set too
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:03 pm

melliot wrote:
Never been flatter about the pies entering a season. I'd have to go back to when I didn't follow footy as a kid. The trade period has made me flat as a pancake about the pies. Not going to a game in a season doesn't help either. Richmond winning doesn't help. That no hoper club has well and truly passed us. It embarrassing and a shows complete inadequacies of the clubs leadership.

I'll watch games, and hope the spark returns watching some kids come through.

I'm meh about this season.

You might get the feeling when we're on the eve of the season.

The injury saga around Reid, Langdon and Beams is gone. And I believe we have released the right players moving forward. (Dunn, Berg, Broomy, Appleby, Wills, etc... would have liked Varcoe to go one more, but understand that he was no longer in our best team).

Sier is in phenomenal shape and he is one to look forward to seeing. He is a huge upgrade on Wills and is set to have a big year. JDG is another that has returned in top shape and my feeling is that he's going to catapult into a mega star this year. Will Kelly is in great nick too and could be the player that plugs the hole at FF - He can take contested marks and although needs to work on his set shot, is a fantastic prospect right now.

Grundy is the key for me. He needs to find his 2018-19 form again. If he does, watch out. With Howe back, Moore in AA form, Sidey and Daicos fit and firing, Adams at full fitness, IQ with another pre-season under his belt, there's much to look forward to.

We've shed a bit of age, but with that goes some injury plagued names. We now have only 6 players over 30; Pendles (33), Mayne (32), Levi (31) and Howe, Roughy and Sidey (30).

Looking back at 2020, we had a horrid run that started to happen after we beat Geelong in Perth. The low point of last season was; Round 8 loss to WCE (66 points), Round 12 loss to Dees (56 points), and of course the semi final loss to Geelong (68 points). The 2 point loss against GWS was absolutely gut-wrenching, especially after Howe injured his knee in the last quarter.

It was a weird season, when we had honourable losses against the Lions (8 points) and Power (16 points) in the last three rounds, but had uninspiring wins against lower teams like the Swans and Crows throughout the year. Almost like we were lucky to escape with a few wins against lower teams but unlucky not to get over the line against the top sides. Weird.

But the highlight of the season would be the Elimination Final win against WCE, one of the best wins in our recent history. How good was that night, when the siren rang? We won a final. With a side missing many of our best 22, over in the west, against a side with all the advantage, against all the odds. There is still something in this team.

And looking back at the trade period, I get why many are still not happy about it. We didn't get the FF and we let go of 4 players for peanuts, three that are in many best 22's. And the way it was handled... ugh.

But as hard as that was to watch, we killed the draft and we have some new players to look forward to seeing. That somewhat eased the blow of losing four players for little return. We managed to get something out of it. And it's amazing how Stevo is all of a sudden a superstar and impossible to replace, when only a year ago he was overrated.

We turned Phillips, Atu, Stevo and Treloar into Henry, Macrae, Poulter, McMahon and McCreery, with points being matched for McInnes after a bid. Atu has been replaced and Phillips had already been passed by Daicos. The two tough ones to replace, Stevo and Treloar.... We'll have to wait and see. But I am one who believes Stevo's departure is not a bad thing. The only positive from losing Treloar is the cap space that we have now made available.

Asking around, nearly everyone will tip Collingwood to miss the top 8. But I've learnt that when it comes to the Pies, most people will tip what they want rather than what they think. A great example of this is a college of mine who says "Collingwood are a certainty to be bottom 4" and "I cant see any reason why Essendon can't be top 8".

With a changing of the guard (Ed moving on), new recruitment staff coming in, cap space to spend in free agency, Nick Daicos coming in '22... There is so much to look forward to, even if '21 goes pear shaped. And that's all without mentioning the coaching staff.

Once you get a whiff of the donut van and feel the atmosphere outside the ground, you'll be right. And once we kick that first goal at the 'G and you're back amongst your brothers and sister in the stands, you'll be back!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:55 pm

melliot wrote:
A great example of this is a college of mine who says "Collingwood are a certainty to be bottom 4"

Actually I worry more when others say that Collingwood are certainties to make top four. You know then if the pies didnā€™t do that, they will vilify Collingwood. It is thus always a lose-lose situation. I decided many years never to take much notice of predictions from non magpie fans who in truth will always hope that we will fail to achieve success. Also they have no idea about the information we have of our own team and our chances.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:14 pm

Grundy to De Goey hitting Kelly on a lead. Goal.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 pm

^ ^ ^
Good post Presti. Nothing wrong with a bit of measured controlled optimism during the preseason.
Iā€™m loving the list turn over. Weā€™ve added a number of versatile around the ground hybrid types. Some will make it, some wonā€™t but it was the changing of the guard that had to happen.
Bring on those donuts !
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 pm

Sorry. This off topic. But hard to get excited about 6 first round draft picks being converted to one first round pick.

It will take near a decade to recover.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:01 am

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing my friends at the footy in the legends area in the Ponsford
Lutts 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:00 pm

There is some negativity on this post re the team's prospects for 2021, but I am even more excited than I was prior to last year.
The club has turned over the list removing old / injury prone players.
The club has moved on fringe players who were really just depth.
The club copped a fair bit of criticism re traded players, but Atu was depth, Phillips had been passed by Daicos, Stephenson was playing uninspiring footy (seemed disinterested). Treloar was/is a ball magnet, so for me he is the biggest loss, but most clubs lose a 'gun' over the post season.
Our young players hopefully will come on - Sier, Daicos, Brown/Brown, Kelly, IQ, Noble.
A good core group of experienced players to guide them through.
Howe back from injury.
Exciting draftees.
I see the team improving this year - so top 4 spot.
I can't wait for round #1.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:28 pm

I want De Goey to finally deliver us a full season of A Grade performances, so that the past comparisons of him with Dusty begin to have a ring of truth.

Seriously, if he is fully fit and plays to his full potential, then he can almost win us a flag himself, like Dusty has done 3 times for the Tigers.
Wonka 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:52 pm

melliot wrote:
Sorry. This off topic. But hard to get excited about 6 first round draft picks being converted to one first round pick.

It will take near a decade to recover.

If that's the case, then it will be over two decades between flags, which is what has become the normal flag drought at Collingwood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: