Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Indefinite Hiatus

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:28 pm
Post subject: Indefinite HiatusReply with quote

I was going to post this in the WTF thread but I'll do it here. Probably get deleted, but whatever.

I've been pretty disturbed by both the atmosphere and moderating around here lately. Making someone a Mod who has displayed open hostility towards members, shows a lack of understanding of the internet and seems to have no idea how to effectively moderate a forum is bemusing to say the least. As long as their politics are right I guess?

Long time members have been dropping like flies. Too many people are happy to say things that would get them a smack in the mouth if they said it in person. Most people will just quietly leave when that happens, especially when the offenders never get pulled up for it. Ever.

You're in danger of creating an echo chamber, I'd say it's pretty much already there. If I wanted left wing censorship from overly officious wankers I'd go and hang out on Reddit.

What has been created here is a hostile environment, there has been no pulling into line of instigators and every post devolves once the same 1 or 2 people get involved. Passive aggressiveness and bullying are rampant, again, as long as it's from an approved person. If I acted the way these posters do I'd be carded in a day.

I've decided to take an indefinite break from Nick's. There are people here I genuinely enjoy conversing with but overall the experience has become toxic and most of those people (the good ones) are on Facebook anyway. Every conversation is quickly dumped on with snark, passive aggressiveness and walls of text. Instead of a forum for robust and polite discussion as it's been in the past, this place has become the abode of far too many poo flinging monkeys. I'll let them sit in the filth they've made.

To everyone else, it's been good while it lasted but as they say, all good things must come to an end.

Go Pies.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you feel that way, Wokko. Despite our many differences of opinion, I've always enjoyed engaging with you here. I also think that, honestly, it's a good idea to escape from social media from time to time (I've done it before and didn't regret it) and come back when the time is right – but of course that's up to you. Wishing you all the best, and see you around.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 pm

Sorry to see you go, Wokko.

I'm starting to feel the same way as well. I cannot be bothered by the endless fighting on VPT, so I may only reduce my time on the forum to posting nightly numbers on the coronavirus thread, and posting on the other boards.

Hope you comeback soon enough.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Understandable but a shame Wokko. I like reading your posts because they present a different point of view especially for someone like me who has no clues about the politics of for e.g the USA and is too lazy to research it!

All the best!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Don’t go. Don’t let the bastards win. You don’t need a break from social media, we all need Clarkson to stand up for us. Cheers
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 pm

Sorry to see you go, catch you on Facebook.

Unfortunately the reasons you give for leaving will fall on deaf ears, as correct as they are.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Sorry to see you go mate, it is a bit like the borg collective at the moment....
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 pm

You are leaving just as the chickens are coming home to roost for some of the things you've vigorously advocated, from climate change denial to Brexit and Trump. This feels like cutting and running, and leaving the mess with others to deal with.

Despite, I wish you well and a swift return.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 am

Now that the OP has withdrawn - however temporarily, posters have some space to reflect a little more carefully on just how much neo-fascism they are content to tolerate on our Collingwood supporters’ forum. The following warning from ASIO may resonate:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-12/asio-briefing-warns-far-right-is-exploiting-coronavirus/12344472

As to philosophical explanations for the direct link between purported conservative libertarianism and the almost inevitable drift to neo-fascism, see: https://medium.com/@elliotgulliverneedham/why-libertarians-are-embracing-fascism-5a9747a44db9

Enjoy.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Censorship is often a very fine line but it is necessary and it is up to the mods to have to decide where to draw the line. It is their subjective opinion which we will not always agree with but at the end of the day, so what if my comment gets withdrawn? I don't really care in the grand scheme of things as I have much bigger things to worry about than being moderated on a footy blog.
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Now that the OP has withdrawn - however temporarily, posters have some space to reflect a little more carefully on just how much neo-fascism they are content to tolerate on our Collingwood supporters’ forum. The following warning from ASIO may resonate:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-12/asio-briefing-warns-far-right-is-exploiting-coronavirus/12344472

As to philosophical explanations for the direct link between purported conservative libertarianism and the almost inevitable drift to neo-fascism, see: https://medium.com/@elliotgulliverneedham/why-libertarians-are-embracing-fascism-5a9747a44db9

Enjoy.

Neo-Fascism???…..It's a bloody footy forum mate. Post political crap elsewhere.

Go Pies!!!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:28 pm

I've stopped posting in VPT.

I have no regrets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: