Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Can Bux continue without Ed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I can assure you that no names will be mentioned if we start 10-0 next year. Start 3-7, and I can assure you, names will emerge.

I concede that you make a very good point here which I fully agree with. Embarassed

Just for the record, I want us to start 10-0, or better yet, 25-0.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 am

AS i said before, if Bucks goes, i only want a winner , and thats Luke Hodge, nothing less will do now, and i reckon Hodge would love the challenge.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 am

^^^^ I don't know if Luke Hodge is the right man for the job but I absolutely agree that we should select an experienced 'winner' whenever we replace Bucks.
If you look at the coaches who have won flags in the last 20 years they mostly have been successful, multiple flag winning players - Sheedy, Matthews, Thompson, Scott, Simpson, Scott, Longmire and Hardwick.
Even Clarkson, whilst not a successful player, had won a SANFL flag as a coach before being selected by Hawthorn.

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:54 am

npalm wrote:
^^^^ I don't know if Luke Hodge is the right man for the job but I absolutely agree that we should select an experienced 'winner' whenever we replace Bucks.
If you look at the coaches who have won flags in the last 20 years they mostly have been successful, multiple flag winning players - Sheedy, Matthews, Thompson, Scott, Simpson, Scott, Longmire and Hardwick.
Even Clarkson, whilst not a successful player, had won a SANFL flag as a coach before being selected by Hawthorn.

Have to agree on this point. You can have an idea about winning culture, tactics and culture, but unless you've lived and breathed it, ideas count for zero. Success breeds success. The evidence is overwhelming. Even if you limited your vision to Collingwood's recent history we have only tasted success in the past 60 years by recruiting externally from those who have tasted success. Case closed. Let's pick based on those metrics and not out of blind love or loyalty to the past and we may taste success yet again.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Jezza wrote:
Lazza wrote:
True PiesnchessšŸ™„ Shouldnā€™t waste our time, it only enables them. Their opinions suck but they have the right to have shitty opinions. What I dislike is that they havenā€™t bothered to provide even one name of an available coach for us to debate their merits. All noise from empty vessels but no relevant information for active consideration. Just anti Buckley drivelšŸ¤¬šŸ˜”

Okay let's stick with Buckley for eternity because no one has provided any suggestions as to who replaces him?

Buckley is entitled to see out his contract this year, but barring any substantial improvement I'd support moving him on at seasons end. 10 seasons at one club with no premiership to show for it is more than enough time for any coach to succeed.

As others have said elsewhere, it will become clearer as to who potentially succeeds him once the coaching vacancy opens up. Most people have sensibly suggested that a panel and interview process should be set up to ascertain who the best candidates are.

We're a big club and I'm certain plenty of candidates will be putting their hand up to coach us in a heartbeat. The most likely candidate is someone who is an assistant coach at another club, preferably one that is associated with premiership success.

Did Richmond supporters know who should replace Terry Wallace in 2009?

Did West Coast supporters know who should replace John Worsfold in 2013?

Did Western Bulldogs supporters know who should replace Brendan McCartney in 2014?

Did Brisbane supporters know who should replace Justin Leppitsch in 2016?

The answer to all four is no. They undertook a proper process to appoint the right person for the coaching job. All four paid dividends in the long-term.

My biggest frustration is Collingwood has been too conservative in the last decade, unwilling to push the boundaries and be ruthless where it's necessary. Buckley wouldn't have lasted this long in the job if he didn't have the benefit of being a favourite son and being very close to McGuire.

I really think the timing fits perfectly. McGuire is departing at the end of the year and Buckley has a year left on his contract. A new president and senior coach in 2022 may be the fresh start and re-invigoration the club needs.

I agree. 2022 will probably be 7 seasons too late - but (short of a TARDIS) it is the best we're going to get.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm

13, 37, 12, 1, 72, 193, 2, 45, 138, 12, 47 and 88.

Those are the games coached at Collingwood by non-premiership winning coaches before they were sacked or walked away before being sacked.

193 is Bob Rose.

138 is Tom Hafey.

88 is Tony Shaw.

Of course I have omitted the top scorer, NB, who is on 205 not out at the tea break. He will retire hurt somewhere in the 220's next season, with a record that will never be broken.

I really don't think that there's any question that he was only appointed coach, and remains so, because of friends in the right places.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:40 pm

Voss might be a good option given he's not new to coaching, and have been the senior assistant at PA over the past 2 years.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm

^ It might also be mentioned that Bob Rose only coached 168 games in his first stint from 1964 to 1971 - the other 25 in 1985 and 1986 came because he stepped into the breach to try to keep the Club afloat. It is also perhaps worth mentioning that he took the team to the Grand Final in two of his first 3 seasons (and 3 of his 8 ), made the finals in every year except 1 and had the team 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 7th, 1st, 1st and 4th at the end of the home and away season in that first 8 season stint. Even though we all loved Bob Rose - and considered him to be an extraordinarily "unlucky" coach, we all accepted it was time when he moved on at the end of 1971, despite getting the team to first or second in the home and away in 5 out of 8 seasons.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:54 pm

Yes, and didn't he also force Matthews to take over from him earlier than the then succession plan dictated?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:00 pm

^ He pulled the pin after three losses in a row at the start of 1986. He took the view, as I recall, that that had to be done for the good of the team because the start was unacceptable.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:36 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
AS i said before, if Bucks goes, i only want a winner , and thats Luke Hodge, nothing less will do now, and i reckon Hodge would love the challenge.

Hodge has zero coaching experience. Shocked
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:04 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ It might also be mentioned that Bob Rose only coached 168 games in his first stint from 1964 to 1971 - the other 25 in 1985 and 1986 came because he stepped into the breach to try to keep the Club afloat. It is also perhaps worth mentioning that he took the team to the Grand Final in two of his first 3 seasons (and 3 of his 8 ), made the finals in every year except 1 and had the team 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 7th, 1st, 1st and 4th at the end of the home and away season in that first 8 season stint. Even though we all loved Bob Rose - and considered him to be an extraordinarily "unlucky" coach, we all accepted it was time when he moved on at the end of 1971, despite getting the team to first or second in the home and away in 5 out of 8 seasons.

Hard to compare eras. No draft or salary cap back then. Perennial losers like St Kilda, Fitzroy, South and Footscray never got enough talent at the same time to compete for very long.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:17 am

K wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Hodge has zero coaching experience. Shocked

Id take a punt on him, he has observed Clarkson for years, he knows the drill, hes seen the best coach in action, his ways, tactics, Hodge is a winner, exudes confidence, hes an outsider, and thats what we need. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 am

Many of the defenders of Buckley seem to think that it is the responsiblity of those who want to see him gone to put forward a new coach. this is just so stupid. Why should they have to suggest an alternative??? That is up to those who, supposedly, are qualified to identify talent. If I believe that both Trump and Biden are politically bankrupt, it is not up to me to suggest an alternative.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:22 am

Why do people keep suggesting Hodge when they know damn well he is never coming to Collingwood?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20   

Jump to: