Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Can Bux continue without Ed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
^ Ross Lyon springs to mind, was at two Clubs for a long time, made GFs, but no cigar, if you go back thru history of other clubs, their probably have been long tenure coaches, that never got the Flag.

Ross Lyon

St Kilda = 2007-2011 (5 seasons)
Fremantle = 2012-2019 (8 seasons)

Buckley's entering his 10th consecutive season as coach of the club. How long until we say enough is enough?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:28 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Let the club do the recruitment process to identify the best candidate. Why do you need the answer before the club goes through the process. That's what the process is for, to get the right person.

Exactly. Collingwood has never done this before and always gone for the captains pick, whether it be Hafey, Matthews, Shaw, Malthouse or Buckley among others. It's led to mixed success.

All senior coaches other than Brett Ratten are undertaking their first senior coaching role at AFL level. It's very likely our next coach after Buckley will be an assistant from another club if the trends are anything to go by. Who that will be is anyone's guess.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:57 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
^ Ross Lyon springs to mind, was at two Clubs for a long time, made GFs, but no cigar, if you go back thru history of other clubs, their probably have been long tenure coaches, that never got the Flag.

This, published by SEN before the 2020 season - If he coaches next season to the end, Buckley will have the "crown" if the 'pies don't win the flag:

Quote:
“The coach to ever have coached the most amount of games (at the one club) is the late Ted Whitten Sr, he coached 228 games for Footscray Football Club – only the one club – without winning a premiership,” Wallace told SEN Mornings.

“Second on that list is Neale Daniher on 223 at the Melbourne Football Club and third on the list is Wally Carter; coached North Melbourne, fourth on the list is Brad Scott … he finished on 211 (games), and fifth on the list is Nathan Buckley on 184 games.

“If Collingwood don’t a flag in the next two years, Nathan Buckley will become the longest ever serving coach of the one club not to have delivered a premiership.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/01/23/the-unwarranted-tag-that-looms-over-collingwood-coach-buckley/
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:02 pm

I will support the club’s choice of coach irrespective of whether I agree with them or not. The club knows best, but the club also comes first always.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:47 am

Presti35 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Buckley wouldn’t even get a gig with the Gold Coast Suns. But still you have some fools so blinded by his playing career that think he should break McHales record for most games coached but with zero premierships to go with it.

Bucks will get a job at another club. Maybe not as head coach, but someone would pick him up.

Kangas would have thrown everything at him if he was available right now. I reckon the Crows will approach him too next year. The Crows job might be the only one available next year, other than Collingwoods anyway. Will GWS stick with Leon Cameron I wonder?

I reckon media is more likely than him taking in an assistants job

No way he gets a head coaching job, not with his record!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:48 pm

Jezza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Ross Lyon

St Kilda = 2007-2011 (5 seasons)
Fremantle = 2012-2019 (8 seasons)

Buckley's entering his 10th consecutive season as coach of the club. How long until we say enough is enough?

Depends how he bonds with this now very young list, and how they respond to him too. If we are very competitive in most games, and show big improvements, maybe even make the 8, they might go one more year with him. But if we have a bad season, poor games, that would probably be it, so time will tell i guess. I just wish for once, the poor bugger had a fit and healthy list, just once, that has never happened for him, in all his tenure. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:11 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
I suspect when the end does finally come, he'll take a well deserved holiday after which he'll get a media job.

I guess he can work on Vol. 2 of his damn book. That should please his loyal minions well enough

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:21 am

[quote="eddiesmith"][quote="Presti35"]
eddiesmith wrote:

Agree. I don't think he would want to suffer the humiliation of going back to an assistant coach. He will become a media commentator, and I think he actually would be quite good in this role.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:58 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Agree. I don't think he would want to suffer the humiliation of going back to an assistant coach. He will become a media commentator, and I think he actually would be quite good in this role.

Yep, thought he was quite good in his previous stint in the media and it probably suits him better
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:43 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Yep, thought he was quite good in his previous stint in the media and it probably suits him better

He is as far as commentators go the best of a bad bunch.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:42 pm

Lets see,

205 games coached for 113 wins, 90 loses and 2 draws. Giving him a winning percentage of 55.61%.

To put that into comparison, he has the 25th best winning % for coaches over 200 games. There are currently 42 coaches with over 200 games to their name. Of those 42, 30 have won at least one flag. With 9 of the remaining 12, including Bucks, coaching a grand final loss.

The factor here is no premiership. I wonder how we'd feel had we won that flag? After getting so close in 2018, and then losing the following years Prelim, it's hard to see us climb that high again, but anything can happen.

He could be the greatest coach in the world, but until that premiership is won, the pressure will be on.

2021 will be a big year for our club, one way or another.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:53 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Lets see,

205 games coached for 113 wins, 90 loses and 2 draws. Giving him a winning percentage of 55.61%.

To put that into comparison, he has the 25th best winning % for coaches over 200 games. There are currently 42 coaches with over 200 games to their name. Of those 42, 30 have won at least one flag. With 9 of the remaining 12, including Bucks, coaching a grand final loss.

The factor here is no premiership. I wonder how we'd feel had we won that flag? After getting so close in 2018, and then losing the following years Prelim, it's hard to see us climb that high again, but anything can happen.

He could be the greatest coach in the world, but until that premiership is won, the pressure will be on.

Yes, 2018 was a sliding door moment, really was, Sheed misses, whatever, we hang on somehow, Bucks becomes a legend. Footy can be a bloody cruel game, us Magpie fans know it all too well, far too well, but, hope springs eternal, so yes, 2021 is going to be make or break for him, for sure. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Wonka 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I just wish for once, the poor bugger had a fit and healthy list, just once, that has never happened for him, in all his tenure. Surprised

What makes you think the poor bugger is not to blame for never in all his tenure having a fit and healthy list?
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:31 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Lets see,

But 2018 was also the moment he was shown up on the grandest stage. It was poor coaching that even allowed them to get back in the game instead of kicking away was why we lost.

It’s one thing for some people to blame an umpiring decision but the fact we let it get to that stage after kicking the first 5 goals is on the game plan.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:18 pm

Wonka wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
I just wish for once, the poor bugger had a fit and healthy list, just once, that has never happened for him, in all his tenure. Surprised

What makes you think the poor bugger is not to blame for never in all his tenure having a fit and healthy list?

exactly, Wonka. Ever since he became the coach, injuries became problematic, and have not looked like abating over the last 7 or 8 years. Our injury statistics have been consistently among the worst under his tenure. It has passed the stage when this could be attributed to dumb luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20   

Jump to: