Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Western Bulldogs and Collingwood settle Treloar contract

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
You will. I won’t. I’m already enjoying the midfield more.

That might also be because we haven’t started the season yet.

I actually get your comments about the club trying to utilise him as something he isn’t. ( paraphrasing )
If we are going to improve, we simply needed to make on field changes. The bigger the domino to fall, the bigger the impact to those changes.
I will always rate him as a quality player with a couple specific limitations but his age going forward, worsening injury profile and salary were all about to become a hinderance to our progress.
He deserved a far more gracious exit but we can’t change the past.
IF we prove to have nailed this draft, then the mid field will indeed be very enjoyable to watch.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Yes. I actually expect the team to go backwards this year (although, as if it even needed to be said, I will be barracking as hard as ever for them to win every game) but I go into watching the next season knowing that we aren’t going to be beset with the most “adequate” midfield in the comp. I would have preferred them to move Adams on, too - but perhaps his hard work and desperation will achieve more if he’s given more damaging players than Treloar on the outside. Anyway, Treloar, Phillips, Wills and Beams are all gone, so 4 out of 5 isn’t bad.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:57 pm

Move on Adams????
Are you perhaps under- estimating the value of "hard work and desperation" to the motivation and determination of the players around him?
Plus, Tay has shown in recent seasons that he is quite capable of doing more than the "grunt work". A Copeland trophy would attest to that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:13 pm

Adams isn't a one-touch player. He's never going to be. Everything about him is admirable except that he lacks that ball-handling skill.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Quote:

On the whole, I struggle to reconcile how Collingwood rated a player so highly in acquisition, paid him and contracted him to a high-value, lengthy tenure after a severe injury, and then abruptly decided he was not only disposable, but disposable to the extent they’d accept a lowball offer and be willing to front a big chunk of his contract for the next five years.

Quoted from https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/01/12/the-adam-treloar-mystery/
This is an interesting article about Collingwood's recruiting prowess in general over the past decade, which comes across as rather dismal.

I don't subscribe the Herald Sun, but there's apparently a report just posted that declares:
Quote:
Treloar says mental health issues came back to bite him

Adam Treloar believes his honesty about his mental health struggles came back to bite him as his time at Collingwood came to an end.

It all has me wondering whether supporters were told an outright lie by Geoff Walsh (from memory I think it was him who said it, perhaps Bucks too) when it was said that nervousness about Treloar's partner and child moving interstate had nothing to do with wanting to offload him ? .
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:48 am

to me that was the only legit excuse. and it still is a concern.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Adams isn't a one-touch player. He's never going to be. Everything about him is admirable except that he lacks that ball-handling skill.

And he's a sh*t kick too
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:58 pm

After the coach and the QB, the third most important job in an NFL team is the salary cap manager..... I've been saying that for years. We didn't get that part of it right.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:52 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

And he's a sh*t kick too

Correct. 49.2%
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:41 pm

Wearing #1 at the welfare in 2021.
Stevo #2 at pauperoos....

Wonka 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 pm

E wrote:
After the coach and the QB, the third most important job in an NFL team is the salary cap manager..... I've been saying that for years. We didn't get that part of it right.

Do you think we got the coach and the QB right?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:05 pm

E wrote:

Whoever ticked off the Beams trade fvcked up everything. That one trade has killed us. We lost draft picks and two key players because we have to squeeze his salary into our cap.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:02 am

E wrote:
Whoever ticked off the Beams trade fvcked up everything. That one trade has killed us. We lost draft picks and two key players because we have to squeeze his salary into our cap.

You are absolutely right but it’s time to move on I reckon. Crying after spilt milk gets you nowhere. Let’s just watch our young kids blossom into excellent AFL level footballers who will assist us win a flag in the very new future.

On Adams, if he can iron out a few flaws he could well be our next Captain.

Swanny2011 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:07 am

Whoever ticked off the Beams trade fvcked up everything. That one trade has killed us. We lost draft picks and two key players because we have to squeeze his salary into our cap.[/quote]

I don't think you can blame this one deal for everything. It wasn't just the Beams deal. You can add Wells, Mayne, Treloar, Grundy and if the salary reports are correct Stephenson and Phillips as well. And the combination of all this will restrict our list for years to come.

Anyway at long last the Club moved the incompetent person on and now Graham Wright will hopefully guide us in the right direction. (he couldn't do any worse)
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:59 pm

Swanny2011 wrote:
I don't think you can blame this one deal for everything. It wasn't just the Beams deal. You can add Wells, Mayne, Treloar, Grundy and if the salary reports are correct Stephenson and Phillips as well. And the combination of all this will restrict our list for years to come.

I think the Beams and Wells deals were the worst. And considering the amount of games we got for that money too.

Anyway, Beams, Wells, Stephenson, Phillips and Treloar are all gone now, and so are their contracts (Well sort of. The bulk is gone anyway). Mayne and Greenwood are now on low 1 year deals too.

We've done what we needed to do to start to repair these large contract mistakes. And you'd think we've learnt our lesson too. Grundy is going to be the one that will hurt us the most if he doesnt produce.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: