Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Western Bulldogs and Collingwood settle Treloar contract

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is we gave a 7 year deal to a ruckman which is the least most important skill in the game, one who is the leader in every pure rucking ability and stat in the game with the exception of actually putting it down the throat of our players - he can't play forward either...? His one saving grace is he's excellent around the ground with his ruck roving skills..

I actually like him too but if he's going to cost us so much for the next 6 odd years he must improve his ability to hit our players in a meaningful way... period.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Seems to be a fair bit of revisionism about Treloar. He was a very good footballer but not a brilliant one. At his best he was a very important player in our team.

Strengths:

Getting the ball
Tackling numbers
Breaking lines
Pace / Speed
Getting the ball in tight spaces
Disposing of the ball quickly in tight spaces

Weaknesses

Lack of physical presence
Disposal ( at times)
Lack of goals
Accuracy in front of goal

That’s a reasonable strengths / weaknesses overview. I would also add injuries to weaknesses just as I would add consistency to his strengths.

I’ve been trying to anticipate how we will go about replacing him. I expect Sidebottom will spend more time in the square, just as DeGoey will also.
Maybe Crisp spends more time on the ball and T Brown looks most likely of the young players to be the next ready to bloom mid. Anything Sier does at this point of his career is a bonus, so I have no expectations.
We aren’t short of options but the challenge is to improve without robbing Peter to pay Paul around the ground.
At least the club has a pre season to groom his replacement for the role, whoever that might be.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:26 pm

This Treloar debacle will return to bite the club on the bum but I get the distinct impression that they couldn’t give a stuff 😡
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:04 am

Lazza wrote:
This Treloar debacle will return to bite the club on the bum but I get the distinct impression that they couldn’t give a stuff 😡

Well, we will find out by round one eh?
It will reek of that Cloke stigma game of round 1, 2017.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:53 am

Who gets Treloar? Hmmm interesting!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:32 am

Monster future cult status occupier the Mayne man. Have a close physical presence on him which Treloar dislikes. It will be compulsory viewing😎😅
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:26 pm

No, it’ll be whoever plays forward pocket - his centre clearances generally involve getting the ball, charging straight to centre half back and handballing to an opposition forward.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:17 pm

That is a nonsensical generalisation if ever I have heard one🙄 He will do other good stuff far more than this turnover shit.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:59 am

Happily, not for us - since his inability to match it in the midfield with genuinely good footballers made us vulnerable. It isn’t that he’s a “bad” player, it is just that he occupied a spot in our team that requires a truly great one. The way the Club shuffled him off (a determined effort over more than 12 months) wasn’t very “nice” - but you’re not going to survive on a salary level that is reserved for epoch-defining players if you’re just a good ordinary footballer who doesn’t understand where and how to move to your team’s advantage on the field.

I should, perhaps, add that I hoist my colours to the mast on my view of Treloar years ago. He hardly ever popped up at a key moment to influence an important game in the way that the real champions do. Hopefully, correcting this egregious recruiting mistake will enable Collingwood to develop or recruit an actual champion to be slotted into Treloar’s spot. Make no mistake, though, we’re closer now to having a real star in that position (whoever it will be) than at any time since Swan retired - because the Club is not now committed to pretending that Treloar is that player.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:00 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Happily, not for us - since his inability to match it in the midfield with genuinely good footballers made us vulnerable. It isn’t that he’s a “bad” player, it is just that he occupied a spot in our team that requires a truly great one. The way the Club shuffled him off (a determined effort over more than 12 months) wasn’t very “nice” - but you’re not going to survive on a salary level that is reserved for epoch-defining players if you’re just a good ordinary footballer who doesn’t understand where and how to move to your team’s advantage on the field.

I should, perhaps, add that I hoist my colours to the mast on my view of Treloar years ago. He hardly ever popped up at a key moment to influence an important game in the way that the real champions do. Hopefully, correcting this egregious recruiting mistake will enable Collingwood to develop or recruit an actual champion to be slotted into Treloar’s spot. Make no mistake, though, we’re closer now to having a real star in that position (whoever it will be) than at any time since Swan retired - because the Club is not now committed to pretending that Treloar is that player.

Couldn't agree more. Couldn't have expressed it so well
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:15 pm

Uncle Jack wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Couldn't have expressed it so well

Yes,
It an AT saga that keeps on giving.

Its like football has to be squeeky Californian politically perfect!

Its football.. and these issues constantly cycle around all clubs.

We paid overs for AT, and the trade has been weighted down further by the argument that we needed talls. That just muddied the waters.

He was recruited as an under-age selection by GWS, and in an open draft who knows?.. 1 to 3...50? When we got him, he had been twice included in the U22 All Australian team.

Looked like a friggin good enough player to grab if you could. And we did.

What if we'd said NO, and he goes on to win a Brownlow with GWS?. The same experts who are now saying we paid overs, would now be saying why didn't we?

Was he worth 1 or 1.5 first rounders? Definately minimum 1.5 imo.

So .5 of a first round in effect was the overs. 5 years and 5000 threads for .5 of a pick. lol

What did we get for Adam T? 5 years of good service. And pick 14.

In 5 years or so, Adam will have retired, and Oliver Henry as a 24 year old hits his 100 games. Lets assess the 'debacle' then.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:48 am

watt price tully wrote:
Seems to be a fair bit of revisionism about Treloar. He was a very good footballer but not a brilliant one. At his best he was a very important player in our team.

Strengths:

Getting the ball
Tackling numbers
Breaking lines
Pace / Speed
Getting the ball in tight spaces
Disposing of the ball quickly in tight spaces

Weaknesses

Lack of physical presence
Disposal ( at times)
Lack of goals
Accuracy in front of goal

Thank you from me WPT. Ads was a very influential player for us pre- hamstring injury. I recall being devastated when that awful injury happened, as he was playing so well and in dynamic form prior to that.
Interestingly, very few seem to acknowledge he was in our top three players in that
exhilerating finals win over the Weagles, only just a few months back. He was also one of the few who kept trying his heart out to the bitter end of the Geelong defeat.
I wonder if some are trying to excuse the club for its despicable treatment of him by now down playing the undoubted value he gave to our team? In my mind, there will never, ever be excuses for that shoddy display of coercive bullying.

He features heavily in photos of the Bulldogs first training session for the year and I hope that it's a sign of great and rewarding things to come for him at his new club. Mitch Wallace has said that the arrival of Ads has enabled him to move more permanently into the forward line, so at least he's appreciated by someone over at the Bulldogs Wink
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:00 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
The funny thing is we gave a 7 year deal to a ruckman which is the least most important skill in the game, one who is the leader in every pure rucking ability and stat in the game with the exception of actually putting it down the throat of our players - he can't play forward either...? His one saving grace is he's excellent around the ground with his ruck roving skills..

I actually like him too but if he's going to cost us so much for the next 6 odd years he must improve his ability to hit our players in a meaningful way... period.

Spot on IMHO. There's a distinct possibility that Grundy's contract could prove to be a far greater salary burden that Treloar's was in terms of return for investment. For his sake as well as the team's, I sure hope his output in 2020 was an anomaly and the centre bounce problem can be rectified. I don't actually hold out that much hope for the latter, at it's been an issue for several years now.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:25 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Make no mistake, though, we’re closer now to having a real star in that position (whoever it will be) than at any time since Swan retired - because the Club is not now committed to pretending that Treloar is that player.

I would say that the club did not do any "pretending" about Treloar - what a strange notion. He was the best available recruit of his type at the time. Remember Richmond were after him too. They simply made a huge stuff up in back-loading his contract so heavily. Entirely their mis -management and their fault. They may have also made a mistake in awarding Grundy overs to keep him.

I would argue that until the next Swanny or Pendles does arrive, we will miss Treloar's contributions. We could well be waiting for a very long time for a "real star in that position".
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:42 am

You will. I won’t. I’m already enjoying the midfield more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: