Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Western Bulldogs and Collingwood settle Treloar contract

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

In the history of football, all clubs purpose is to pursue the big prize. If you can see your fingers touching it, all rules are out the door...that final 100 metres with that big fat chocolate at the end is all there is in the world.

Contracts extended, salaries appeased, Ass's kissed.

On the cusp of the 'great' opportunity...is that the time for prudent?

Ageing list Geelong, just gave 3 good picks..Even with Taylor and Ablett gone, they reckon the window is open for 2 more years. Good luck.

We tried. Came out well placed to make the 8 again with one of the youngest sides and a long window of opportunity.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:02 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
How ridiculous,to pay a player $300,000 a year to play at another club.Only Collingwood could do that.

Happens all the time... I remember when Woewodin came to the Pies, Melbourne were still paying $320k of his $500k salary

Yeh true. It has happened before quite a bit with other clubs. Im not talking this situation, but you can bet the Cats gave away an arm and a leg to get Cameron, he would not have come cheap to those bastards, thats for sure. Surprised

An added advantage of living in Geelong is the cheaper accomodation/living costs.
Swans had a disadvantage attracting players bc of higher living costs so they were afforded an increase in their salary cap.
Wonder if it should work in the opposite direction for the Cats.

think better 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:10 pm

It's no coincidence that this deal gets struck after the draft when we know who we've got on the list and the standing of the salary cap for the next couple of years.

Notable too that we signed up 4 players recently so it looks like we are settling the list for the next couple of years

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:09 pm

FWIW - its exactly $830k over 5 years
CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:42 pm

MJ23 wrote:

If you’re right, I would definitely take that outcome. I must say our contributing $1.5m over 5 years to his contract felt unlikely, but the (Murdoch) media has been pretty strong on that number.

~$180k per year sounds so much more manageable.
CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:42 pm

MJ23 wrote:

DP
mugway05 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 am

MJ23 wrote:

How do you know this?

Check out: www.myspace.com/mugway05
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 am

I wish I could sign a contract and then within twelve months cancel it, costing me $830k, and have almost everyone saying what a great job I did!

This club and their management are inept. No other organisation - except maybe the Victorian State Government - gets to rip up contracts costing huge money and be praised for it!

daicos from the boundry 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:54 pm

Just staggers me. Who signed Treloar on this money??? Remembering this would of been a contract extension from his previous contract to come to Collingwood from GWS. Was this done by the new list manager Ned Guy or was it done by Geoff Walsh. Was this done before or after his hamstring injury’s?. I understand that you have to pay overs to get a player to join your club but when they are already at your club you have to back your processes and inner strength of the playing group for players to stay. If there not invested out you go(see Stephenson). Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips didn’t want to leave. They have said that in existing the club. I don’t see the point in offering up 5 to 7 year deals unless you are paying well unders in dollar terms.
I’m not disappointed that Treloar has gone. He was a selfish football in a lot ways on field. I don’t think he did enough off ball to help the side. Be interesting to know his ranking for 1%ers On the list
Disappointing in what we got for him as a trade more, but we all feel like that.

Wonka 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:01 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
I wish I could sign a contract and then within twelve months cancel it, costing me $830k, and have almost everyone saying what a great job I did!

Then apply for Ned Guy's job!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:49 pm

daicos from the boundary, I think I posted last year in one of the other dozen or so Treloar threads that this was an extension that was designed to back-end his contract, so that the Club could keep the list together and push for a flag. The agreement was reached in early 2019 (so, after his hamstring injury). I don't support the extension (I didn't support recruiting Treloar and - to this day - have no idea why we did). I'm just answering your question.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:52 am

Seems to be a fair bit of revisionism about Treloar. He was a very good footballer but not a brilliant one. At his best he was a very important player in our team.

Strengths:

Getting the ball
Tackling numbers
Breaking lines
Pace / Speed
Getting the ball in tight spaces
Disposing of the ball quickly in tight spaces

Weaknesses

Lack of physical presence
Disposal ( at times)
Lack of goals
Accuracy in front of goal

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am

What’s ridiculous is Treloar still thinks he’s worth $900k a year.
daicos from the boundry 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
daicos from the boundary, I think I posted last year in one of the other dozen or so Treloar threads that this was an extension that was designed to back-end his contract, so that the Club could keep the list together and push for a flag. The agreement was reached in early 2019 (so, after his hamstring injury). I don't support the extension (I didn't support recruiting Treloar and - to this day - have no idea why we did). I'm just answering your question.

How things change in 2 years then. From a player with injuries that they wanted around the club for 7 more years ( start of 2019) to wanting to offload. I wouldn’t be offering a 7 year deal ( which it had become) to anyone unless their captain or a star of the competition. Mind blowing. Grundy had at least won two B&F and younger with no major injuries when offered which I don’t agree with either

Wonka 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:16 pm

daicos from the boundry wrote:
I wouldn’t be offering a 7 year deal ( which it had become) to anyone unless their captain or a star of the competition. Mind blowing. Grundy had at least won two B&F and younger with no major injuries when offered which I don’t agree with either

It is not entirely out of the question that, if Grundy has another year or two like the last one, and if the footy department personnel remains the same, they will attempt to do to him what they did to Adam Treloar, shipping him off to an Adelaide club and paying possibly $400000 of the million dollars he is owed in salary each year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: