Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#31 Beau McCreery

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else think that McCreery could find himself squeezed a little through the season? We seem to have a lot of pressure forwards. I’m not sure there’s going to be any space for him in the middle.
With the “preseason” caveat, he had some c-grade ammo’s moments in the first q of the trial yesterday - although quite a few looked fumbly. I’m sure that will improve as we go forward.
I agree with others that the main goal of yesterday was no injuries and looks like that was successful.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:45 am

^Based on the practice game? Or in general?
The practice game for me is exactly that. It's the equivalent of going to the driving range so I'm not looking to these as ones I'll be assessing a player's ability or broader contribution to our side.

FWIW, I'm hoping the pre-season comp soon becomes a thing of the past.
These mickey mouse matches are nothing more than community engagement exercises. By all means, run community camps, but make them training camps.
If we're going to risk players, risk them with 4 points at stake.

Reality is though, he's not damaging enough on a number of key statistics to hold a HFF position alone and not be at risk of natural attrition. But that also has to come from those vying for a starting senior spot.
Harrison will be on his hammer by seasons end.
Ask me again at the mid-season break and we'll have sufficient body of work to make an informed assessment regarding his ability to rotate through the middle if he's given the opportunity, which I'm sure well see.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:55 am

LaurieHolden wrote:
^Based on the practice game? Or in general?

I have to say in general, because I agree with you that 20 minutes in a practice game in Feb cannot be the benchmark...

I like him as a player, and he has some great highlights, but he's going to be behind Schultz, Elliott and Hill (at least) in the HFF role you flagged, and there should hopefully be some young whipper snappers striving. If they want to play both Reef and Johnson that also probably puts more pressure on how many smaller forwards you can play. Perhaps theyre grooming him for the Adams role from last year - 10-15% midfield?

It's a hard role to play - one where you can be a little invisible if you dont kick 2-3 or have 8 score involvements and those other three guys have proven to be able to make the moments that catch the eye.

Anyway - I wish him well and lets see if he can lift his game in either that position or another. We saw last year how he, WHE, Lipinski, Ginnivan, Noble and potentially Mitchell were all in that 19-25th position in the team. Hopefully spots can be demanded rather than opened up duje to significant injury - although there is bound to be some of those too.

I do enjoy his bone crunching tackles - I liken them to folding someone in half like you were packing them into a suitcase.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:20 pm

McCreery is way, way ahead of Reef in terms of selection. He is a gun player, set to take off in 2024. Reef is yet to even demonstrate he is good enough to play senior footy.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:12 pm

The pressure hill and Schulz bring puts pressure on mcreery as lipinski will spend time through middle and fwd.

Miocheck, Elliott, cox/Cameron are certainties
Hill and Schultz are definite

So you are left with 1 of McInnes/Johnson/ Kruger/mcstay/ mcreery
Depending on the day and opposition
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:12 pm

It's a tough caper sometimes. Hypothetically, would Schultz be a better option at HFF, and would Reef slot deep into the forward line ?
So whilst on paper it would read OUT : McCreery IN Reef, the forward setup is different.
Repeat, it's a hypothetical.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:38 pm

Sure Fly and Co will get the best possible team chemistry
And why not. They got it right last year

Rex 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:39 pm

mgh3536 wrote:

Miocheck, Elliott, cox/Cameron are certainties
Hill and Schultz are definite
So you are left with 1 of McInnes/Johnson/ Kruger/mcstay/ mcreery
Depending on the day and opposition

I agree with your certainties/definites, but they account for four forwards, not five. One ruck is always named on the bench with six genuine forwards named in the 18. That means two of Johnson, McIness or McCreery make it. Krueger only gets in if the others are injured. If Harrison’s good enough to force his way in we will be in an excellent position.
Although McInnes has only played fwd at Collingwood he came to us as a big-bodied mid. This preseason we’ve seen a bit of that skill set. For that reason he might push McCreery out. It may depend on match-ups.
And I’d be surprised if Elliott gets through the whole season without weeks off. So expect players to rotate through.
And in the latter third when McStay’s fit…what a dilemma the coaches will have!
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:48 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
McCreery is way, way ahead of Reef in terms of selection. He is a gun player, set to take off in 2024. Reef is yet to even demonstrate he is good enough to play senior footy.

Agree with this. I am anticipating a breakout year from Beauu. He has elite speed and strength, and I am sure he is going to play a more prominent midfield role.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Agreed, but very different players and fill different roles.

Reef is the tall forward option, Beau is a pressure small forward who shows signs of being an impacting mid.

duke750 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:55 am

Beau could easily have kicked 4 or more goals in the GF. I think he is currently comfortably picked in the best 22. Of course, that could change as the season goes on, but I hope that he is able to improve his game even more.

It appears to me that the coaching group want the talls in the forward line to contest and not be outmarked. They see the pace and smarts of our pack of small forwards as a big asset.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:57 am

A team that can't fit Beau into its best 23 is travelling pretty well, I'd say.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:56 pm

duke750 wrote:
I think he is currently comfortably picked in the best 22.

FWIW so do I for round zero - but just curious to see how that looks when we are half way through the season...

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:03 pm

I just don’t see McCreery as a midfielder, particularly while he’s at Collingwood. Hes currently behind DeGoey, Nick, Mitchell, Pendles, Crisp Sullivan, MacRae, Lipinski and likely DiMattia ( in 12 months ) who all have attributes that are more suitable to starting in the centre square than McCreery. It’s not a knock on McCreery, he plays his role very well …. just as our true midfielders play their roles very well too.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:03 pm

D P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21   

Jump to: