Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sacked for comments on social media

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:26 pm
Post subject: Sacked for comments on social mediaReply with quote

I thought we used to have a thread about this but, WTF time for a new one.

The people who held the engagement party at the weekend have copped a lot of stick for their behaviour, a lot of it deserved but this isn't.

Quote:
The Royal Melbourne Hospital has sacked a female clinical assistant for suggesting Jewish Orthodox revellers from an illegal engagement party in St Kilda should be “put in the gas chamber”.

The comment was made on a Facebook post where people were discussing how the party had the potential to create a superspreader event that could keep Melbourne locked down longer.

The comment was brought to the attention of the hospital’s executive team.

When approached by news.com.au, a spokesperson for the hospital confirmed the worker had lost her job.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/royal-melbourne-hospital-sacks-worker-over-gas-chamber-comment/news-story/831c21cad9b310040bc6e4b0461275b7

Now that is an extraordinarily fast reaction, I assume the person must have been a casual or a recent hire or both, but I don't think you could argue with the outcome.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We can quibble over whether extreme cases of hate speech like this justify losing your job, but the broader problem is the precedent it sets and the principle it upholds. If you fundamentally oppose employers policing what you say or do off the job then you can’t make an exception for a particularly abhorrent or anti-Semitic remark on Facebook. So yeah, sorry, can’t agree with this.

We need to find a way of responding to people who hold and express vile opinions without running to their employers at the first opportunity and asking them to enact some kind of justice on our behalf. The problem isn’t being outraged and angered by the post; it’s thinking that the RMH have any business dealing with it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:18 pm

oh whoa, that is truly a horrible thing to say.

dont agree with sacking them but name and shame them everywhere, that is not acceptable.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:49 pm

I don’t know if this woman is a rabid anti-Semite or just posted something dumb without thinking, but this story makes me think of a not entirely unrelated issue.

I’ve been seeing stuff on Facebook in recent days about Melbourne Neo-Nazis being "outed" (the latest being some singer in a Melbourne punk band), with the aim being to get them fired from workplaces and ostracised in general. A lot of energy goes into that kind of thing in some sections of the left (i.e. Antifa types and fellow travellers), but I have to admit I’m somewhat sceptical. Firstly, I take it for granted that there are people out there with all kinds of kooky views, some of them more benign than others and some more socially acceptable than others. Yes, the views of bigots and conspiracy theory peddlers should be challenged, but you can’t eradicate stupidity.

Secondly, as a committed leftist myself, I just don’t know that I see it as my primary political goal to chase people with really bad views out of town; if anything, it kind of seems like a distraction to me. Racism is a thing that primarily manifests through societal structures, and that’s how it tends to negatively impact people’s lives – not because some maladjusted weirdo without any social power thinks Hitler was a cool guy. So it seems to me to be a bit of an easy/lazy target compared to, say, actually winning broad public support for an anti-racist left-wing political program. And that’s putting to one side the question of whether pointing out and ostracising individual right-wing extremists actually serves the stated goal, which is to prevent Neo-Nazis from becoming more powerful as a political force. I think there’s every chance it sends them underground and makes them stronger, better connected, and more energised by a politics of resentment and perceived victimisation. Let’s not forget that Hitler wrote Mein Kampf in jail.

Last edited by David on Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:54 pm

David wrote:

We need to find a way of responding to people who hold and express vile opinions without running to their employers at the first opportunity and asking them to enact some kind of justice on our behalf. The problem isn’t being outraged and angered by the post; it’s thinking that the RMH have any business dealing with it.

For the record when looking at stuff on Twitter about the party, one goose I saw had made some anti Semitic remarks so I just reported him to Twitter.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:48 pm

I would have thought that hospitals would need every clinical assistants they could get at the moment. Surely a reprimand was warranted but if the twits hadn't put the event on facebook in the first place they wouldn't have drawn the reactions.

I am waiting for lawsuits to start up about loss of business and reputation etc. It might make people think twice if they start losing homes etc.

The 2 Doctors who were at the event may be in strife as well

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:33 pm

ronrat wrote:
I would have thought that hospitals would need every clinical assistants they could get at the moment. Surely a reprimand was warranted but if the twits hadn't put the event on facebook in the first place they wouldn't have drawn the reactions.

I am waiting for lawsuits to start up about loss of business and reputation etc. It might make people think twice if they start losing homes etc.

The 2 Doctors who were at the event may be in strife as well

I suspect the ambulance chasers are tracking down the dismissed hospital worker to commence an unfair dismissal action.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:15 pm

When I first heard of this story I was wondering whether it was a case of anti zionism being labelled anti semitic as some in the Jewish community are prone to do to shut down any legitimate criticism or debate about the government of Israel.

In this instance though what the person stated was about as insensitive as it can get and it shouldn't come as any surprise that this specific type of employer has taken this action once notified of it.

What I do hope though is that the employer now shows a level of consistency if other employees are found being blatantly racist against other minorities on public forums.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:22 pm

@David, I tend to agree with what you say. This cancel culture seems mostly a product of the left and the focus on employers to penalise people for expressing unpopular or downright wrong views.

In this day and age, people should be fully aware that if they post controversial stuff under their real name on social media, there can be consequences. Organisations are gun shy about their brand and being being associated with improper stuff.

In this case, if RMH didn't sack this person there would have been a pile on to them, people saying they condone anti semitisim etc etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: