Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 3 - Al Pacino's turn to mumble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:49 pm

Depressing stuff!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:34 pm

Regardless of the who/where/why/what of our vaccine rollout, we don't need it as much as other places in the world. It seems that until manufacturing is undertaken on a large scale here that our rate of vaccination won't match other places.

There are just so many unanswered questions surrounding this though. Will the vaccine work? Will it work for a time and then won't work on mutations?

Assuming everyone is vaccinated, what will that mean, if anything, for the vulnerable? The virus is here to stay, it isn't going anywhere. The vaccine isn't a cure, it aims at minimising the damage caused by the virus. What does that mean, for example, to the elderly in nursing homes? If the vaccine doesn't stop transmission then they are still in trouble, vaccinated or not.

It may be that we are now living in a completely new world where the virus is continually an issue, regardless of vaccination. That's depressing.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm

I think it goes without saying that COVID-19 will continue to be an issue, at least in the medium term. But I guess the hope is that soon it will be a much smaller, manageable issue, like the many other viruses that still exist and cause serious illness and death but don't require lockdowns, travel bans, etc. to be contained.

I think it's a good point that vaccination is less of an immediate priority here and that it's more important that other countries get it under control quickly (it's encouraging, for instance, to see that the particularly hard-hit UK has partially vaccinated almost 50% of its significantly larger population and fully vaccinated almost 10%). But the longer it takes for us to get to herd immunity here (possibly won't even happen this year, by the looks of things), the more openings there will be for outbreaks – maybe even bad, second-wave-level ones – and lockdowns, not to mention sickness and death. After more than 12 months of this and many of us (well, at least me) feeling pretty confident that we were out of the woods, that's a pretty draining thought.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Is herd immunity something that is still thought to be possible?
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:13 pm

That's basically the primary point of this mass vaccination, isn't it?

From the article P4S posted:

Quote:
One of the aims of vaccination is to achieve “herd immunity”, which is when enough people are immunised to stop or slow the spread of the disease.

The threshold for herd immunity varies with each disease. For measles, for example, about 95 per cent of the population needs to be immunised, whereas for polio, the figure is closer to 80 per cent.

The threshold for COVID-19 is still unknown but expert estimates range between 60 and 90 per cent.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:46 pm

As far as I am aware, no one on the planet has been immunised and there are no plans for that to occur. That article must be from the commencement of the pandemic and not more recently.

Medicos may correct me, but doesn't immunisation give you immunity? There is no immunity from covid. The vaccine doesn't do that, it just reduces the effects of covid, if it works at all. There have been many reported instances of vaccinated people becoming infected. We even had a nurse in Qld fall into that category, although it was after the first jab, not the second.There are also reports of people suffering from covid more than once. Covid is mutating.

I would like to be wrong about this, but we will see.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Actually, the ABC article is only a month old (from 2 March), and was updated as recently as today.

I'm no medico, but I think you do have the wrong end of the stick on COVID-19 and immunity:

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/is-it-true/is-it-true-how-long-does-it-take-to-have-immunity-after-vaccination

Quote:
Both the Pfizer and the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines require two doses. Whilst partial protection against COVID-19 may be as soon as 12 days after the first dose, this protection is likely to be short lived. The second dose encourages the body to create stronger protection (immunity) against the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19.

The Australian Public Assessment Report (AusPAR) provided by Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration outlines that individuals may not be fully protected until:

• 7 days after their second dose of the Pfizer vaccine
• up to 14 days after the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Because of this, you can still become ill prior to this time.

That latter part may explain how some people have contracted the virus after vaccination, though I also think it's probably the case that no vaccine – for COVID or anything else – can provide 100% guaranteed immunity. And yes, mutations may be another matter.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Vaccination - administration of a vaccine

Immunisation the response of your immune system to a training event (typically vaccination). This prepares the immune system to deal more successfully with infection.

The "immun" in the word "immunisatiion" doesn't refer to "immunity", it refers to the immune system.

Vaccination is something the doctor does. It teaches your body about a specific new infection. Immunisation is something your body does: it learns how to recognise and fight an infection.

But beware! In practice, people often mix the two terms up.

Last edited by Tannin on Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:10 pm

That surprises me as I have read in more than one place that the vaccine will not provide immunity, but rather, will minimise the effects of covid. I discussed that a few weeks ago with a friend who runs the family business which is two aged care facilities. His concern was along the lines of the vaccine not being a cure, how will their safety policies and procedures have to continue into the future.

I read somewhere a while ago that when Sweden tried herd immunity they tested those that had had covid and only about 7% of them had developed antibodies which they thought would prevent them from getting it again.

We will have to wait and see if the vaccine is more effective than being infected and then recovering. Here's hoping.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:20 pm

Why can;t my 90 ywar old Dad and 84 year old Mum get the virus. Probably because they do not live in Gold Coast or Brisvegas.

In Thailand they are looking at opening up "sandboxes: so tourists who have had the jab. Yo fix it they intend to vaccinate Thai citizens. They won;t allow private clinics the vacs so the multitude of Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians miss out plus a 100,000 expats in these areas who own business or retired.

Politicians the world over need a kick in the arse.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:51 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
That surprises me as I have read in more than one place that the vaccine will not provide immunity, but rather, will minimise the effects of covid. I discussed that a few weeks ago with a friend who runs the family business which is two aged care facilities. His concern was along the lines of the vaccine not being a cure, how will their safety policies and procedures have to continue into the future.

I read somewhere a while ago that when Sweden tried herd immunity they tested those that had had covid and only about 7% of them had developed antibodies which they thought would prevent them from getting it again.

We will have to wait and see if the vaccine is more effective than being infected and then recovering. Here's hoping.

It doesn’t provide immunity but minimises the effects, that is correct. They also have no idea how long it will last with some being told to expect a second round of injections before the year is out.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:18 am

Actually, we already know how effective the vaccines are. That's one of the reasons that they run those major trials, and do extensive follow-up tracking too.

We don't know how long the enhanced immune response that the vaccines produce will last.

There are two key effects from vaccination: (1) vastly redued risk of life-changing illness or death; (2) the virus is unable to reproduce in large numbers (because your immune system is fighting it thanks to the vaccine) and is much less likely to spread.

BTW: if that 7% figure is correct (it sounds absurd to me, but let's assume that it is correct for the moment), then the vaccines are about 12 times more effective in producing immunity than the disease itself.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am

In Victoria today: no new cases, no active cases, 13,291 tests reported.

So, that's a whole lot of zeroes - until we start taking big bunches of COVID-y international travellers into Hotel Quarantine (which resumed today).
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:07 am

Tannin wrote:
Actually, we already know how effective the vaccines are. That's one of the reasons that they run those major trials, and do extensive follow-up tracking too.

We don't know how long the enhanced immune response that the vaccines produce will last.

There are two key effects from vaccination: (1) vastly redued risk of life-changing illness or death; (2) the virus is unable to reproduce in large numbers (because your immune system is fighting it thanks to the vaccine) and is much less likely to spread.

BTW: if that 7% figure is correct (it sounds absurd to me, but let's assume that it is correct for the moment), then the vaccines are about 12 times more effective in producing immunity than the disease itself.

Well, you may be correct about the 7% figure.
I read about it, but that doesn't mean that it is correct.

As to the effectiveness of the vaccine, my understanding is that is exactly what the Astra Zeneca promoters lied about which is why it has not been approved by the FDA for use in the USA.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 89 of 200   

Jump to: