Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lumumba sues Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy_picken25 Cancer

billy_picken25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a legal case in Australia, Australian lawyers I assume, he has a case, let it play out in the courts. H is a premiership player, he played well for us.

The use of drugs or alcohol or whatever are often part of a person's coping mechanism, usually not the cause of the problem.

maurs64 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 am

I believe that H was always just after a payout. He has played this well. First just ask for a public apology that he was pretty certain would never happen. Then sue for money. Makes him very sympathetic to the general public. My hope is that the court just gets him his apology, no money.
ABC radio giving this too much airtime.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:02 am

Just imagine: Collingwood has a make or break game, but Buckley and Pendlebury have been called to give evidence in Lumumba’s court case.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

David wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Assuming it goes to court, the plaintiff will be required to name the people that acted in a racist manner. Will make the 2010 premiership reunions interesting.

This is my thought too. Possibly undermines Heritier's previously stated intent to not name individuals, so as to keep the focus on structural issues at the club and not create scapegoats – don't see how that won't come out now, though.

I did think the internal review was a cynical PR move on our part, so I don't blame him for not being mollified by that. But I'm still unsure whether this is the right way to go. My suspicion is he's doing this out of a feeling of obligation to other people of colour who find themselves in such situations and not so much for his own sake; if so, it can be dangerous when adherence to a principle – even a totally virtuous one – gets prioritised ahead of one's own gut feeling.

We haven't seen the claim and there won't be a defence filed yet so we have no idea whether the claim has any merits, or whether there are factual or legal defences, such as part of the claim, or all of it, is out of time. He will have to give details of who said what, when and where, well before trial. You wouldn't think that he would have a claim that could even get to trial if he can't do that. When he does it will probably become public straight away.

I doubt that he would want this to go to trial. It seems clear that he has always wanted publicity but who knows what more he wants. Because he lives overseas he may have to pay into court money to cover the club's legal costs, to be used if he loses the case. My guess is there will be a lot of publicity then there will be a mediation, a confidential settlement, and everyone will move on.

One poster above mentioned the club's internal review. We didn't learn anything from the Essendon drugs saga. They conducted their own review then had to hand it over to the ASADA investigators who used it to nail the club. Why our club has given Harry such a big free kick by doing this too is beyond stupidity.Politicians set up royal commissions and inquiries to reach the result they have pre-ordained, but we do it to shoot ourselves in the foot.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 am

^^^^
Thanks for that ...I really appreciate that insight from a professional point of view.
What was in the review that related to this issue?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:03 am

masoncox wrote:
^^^^
Thanks for that ...I really appreciate that insight from a professional point of view.
What was in the review that related to this issue?

Different review. You're thinking of the Murphy review. I was referring to the current one which I understood is being conducted by an indigenous person and which relates to Harry's complaints and cultural issues at the club.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:32 am

Yep, Larissa Behrendt, who's a pretty well-respected Indigenous academic. I honestly don't even get what this "review" is supposed to achieve, though – is it supposed to inspect all aspects of the club's current policies and give it a "certified racism-free" tick (which I suspect is all the club is after with this)? If so, it probably won't be too difficult; I'm sure clubs like Collingwood have had all the right codes of conduct in place and been doing all the right seminars for years now (Robin DiAngelo is probably printing out her boarding pass as we speak). But it's one thing for a workplace to have the right protocols in place; it's quite another to actually be able to regulate the interactions of individuals.

And that's only dealing with now; whether there's any capacity (or intention) to assess how things were at the club 10–15 years ago is another question altogether, and I honestly don't even know where this review would start given that most players and officials from that era are no longer at the club. Are they going to sit Steele Sidebottom down and grill him over whether he overheard any racial microaggressions in his vicinity when he was 18? Somehow I doubt it.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:37 am

If Lumumba has a case, it should go to court to be judged by a jury of his peers and let the cards fall where they may.

If the club is found wanting in the area of 'appropriate workplace conduct' then they should change the way they go about their business and provide the apology for Lumumba he asked for.

The ex-player involved clearly is aggrieved and is entitled to pursue a legal remedy.

Lumumba has so far lived in South America, Australia and North America- I pray that he finds his 'inner-peace' somewhere soon as I am concerned he is running out of continents on which to do so.

lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:50 am

Adz wrote:
We need to erase him from the club. I literally mean removing all references to him and removing him from 2010 paintings etc.

Tell him we shove our review where the sun don’t shine.
Agreed.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:05 pm

I wonder who “SarahSmiles” is in link below. “She” even correctly spells Héritier in French, so smarter than the average Big Footy punter! Someone’s lighting fires. Not saying it’s Heritier, but definitely someone who doesn’t like Eddie. Whoever it was (my guess media) they disappeared after creating this thread.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/héritier-lumumba-blasts-collingwoods-racist-treatment-of-him-during-his-career-civil-discussion-please.1240771/
Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Civil case therefore proof required is only balance of probabilities.
Hard case to proves and probably fought hard because of precedent established and floodgates consequences especially for AFL.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Just imagine: Collingwood has a make or break game, but Buckley and Pendlebury have been called to give evidence in Lumumba’s court case.

Why not give Lumumba credit for waiting until after our finals loss before filing docs with the Supreme Court.

Not everything is a conspiracy.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:56 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:

Why not give Lumumba credit for waiting until after our finals loss before filing docs with the Supreme Court.

He waited for 6 years!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:12 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:

agree, and how about we release some footage of his speeches? not just the ones he read of a teleprompt, you know, the ones where he so lovingly treated woman with the respect he thinks they deserve. is there footage of the fag comment? if he wants to chuck rocks at the glass house, chuck some back.

and yes thank christ he didnt get a written apology. he would have written his own cheque.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:21 pm

It's been clear for a few years now that poor Harry is dealing with some deep mental demons, stemming from child abuse which he has publicly acknowledged. His bitterness at Collingwood, the club which gave his a career, when ALL other clubs had overlooked him, is a disgrace. I'm sure he'll end up with some sort of payout, because that's how the system works, but seriously, he needs a lot of help to overcome his chronic attention seeking behaviour. It's as if he can't accept the fact that he is not an intellectual, or a leader of anyone. He is an ex footballer, that's all. It's time for him to accept that and get on with his life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: