Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lumumba sues Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me is why not, part of me is yeah sure, part of me is why Collingwood (again) so I don’t actually have a position because I’m not clear that I fully understand all the issues from his perspective.

One can’t be subject to racism if that’s what it is in a workplace. No way and none of that would be supported by any of us. This is 21st Century Australia.

Whether it’s opportunistic or not is another matter but if it is shown it did occur / there was an unsafe working environment then as employers there is a responsibility to the employee to provide a safe working environment.

All true but there has to be corroborated evidence for any chance of a win in court. Some Advocates say that these are the hardest matters to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Good luck to Harry if the allegations are proved to be correct. The thing I detest most in life is any form of racism towards anyone, irrespective of who they are. Totally infuriates me no end.

We have a few legal guys on nicks.
Could they give us a rough idea whether he has a case?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:57 pm

Lazza wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me is why not, part of me is yeah sure, part of me is why Collingwood (again) so I don’t actually have a position because I’m not clear that I fully understand all the issues from his perspective.

One can’t be subject to racism if that’s what it is in a workplace. No way and none of that would be supported by any of us. This is 21st Century Australia.

Whether it’s opportunistic or not is another matter but if it is shown it did occur / there was an unsafe working environment then as employers there is a responsibility to the employee to provide a safe working environment.

All true but there has to be corroborated evidence for any chance of a win in court. Some Advocates say that these are the hardest matters to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Good luck to Harry if the allegations are proved to be correct. The thing I detest most in life is any form of racism towards anyone, irrespective of who they are. Totally infuriates me no end.

I abhor racism as well, but that doesn't mean every time an individual cries racism, that it occurred. It was all under Malthouse's watch and he's the least tolerant person around if he had any inkling that it occurred.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Assuming it goes to court, the plaintiff will be required to name the people that acted in a racist manner. Will make the 2010 premiership reunions interesting.
duke750 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Regardless of any other thoughts posted in this thread (whether racist or not), I will always remember Heretier as a Collingwood premiership player and will always respect him as such.

In my 60+ years following the Pies there have only been 42 players who carry that honour.

I will always remember the pride and jubilation he showed when he kicked that goal in the final quarter.

I hope that we are able to come to a suitable outcome in this, but regardless, H should always be welcome at our door. (The same goes for the other 2010 premiership players who have left - and returned).

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm

duke750 wrote:
Regardless of any other thoughts posted in this thread (whether racist or not), I will always remember Heretier as a Collingwood premiership player and will always respect him as such.

In my 60+ years following the Pies there have only been 42 players who carry that honour.

I will always remember the pride and jubilation he showed when he kicked that goal in the final quarter.

I hope that we are able to come to a suitable outcome in this, but regardless, H should always be welcome at our door. (The same goes for the other 2010 premiership players who have left - and returned).

I’m not sure any outcome will suit him.

duke750 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:12 pm

In some ways, it is what outcome is suitable for Collingwood FC in a way that projects the values that we want to reflect our club.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Lazza wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I here that and as I was writing I was thinking about the burden of proof; I think in a civil matter the burden of proof is less than “beyond reasonable doubt” to on the “balance of probabilities”.

Perhaps his worship Pies4Shaw could lend a legal opinion?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:17 pm

Yep I think you are right WPT however I too would love to hear the official legal situation by any poster here who has expertise on the subject.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 pm

Harry sure does have one massive chip on his shoulder, from what i have seen, read, the Club has gone out of its way to make amends with him, to reconcile, apologize, mediate, learn lessons, and move on, but he still just wants to endlessly stir the pot. NO wonder he did not last long at the Deees, hes nothing but trouble now, pity, cos he was a really fine player. He kicked the sealer to win our flag, great goal, and his reaction, but this myriad mess of utter litigation, will be all hes remembered for, which is a great pity.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:18 am

dalyc wrote:
Assuming it goes to court, the plaintiff will be required to name the people that acted in a racist manner. Will make the 2010 premiership reunions interesting.

This is my thought too. Possibly undermines Heritier's previously stated intent to not name individuals, so as to keep the focus on structural issues at the club and not create scapegoats – don't see how that won't come out now, though.

I did think the internal review was a cynical PR move on our part, so I don't blame him for not being mollified by that. But I'm still unsure whether this is the right way to go. My suspicion is he's doing this out of a feeling of obligation to other people of colour who find themselves in such situations and not so much for his own sake; if so, it can be dangerous when adherence to a principle – even a totally virtuous one – gets prioritised ahead of one's own gut feeling.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 am

Taking the piss. Hopefully will lose his money as well as as credibility. In LA where ambulance chasing lawyers outnumber sensible people.
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:42 am
Post subject: Lumumba sues CollingwoodReply with quote

It must be a terrible ordeal for a footballer to have the same nickname as Bobby Skilton.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:11 am

ronrat wrote:
Hopefully will lose his money as well as as credibility. In LA where ambulance chasing lawyers outnumber sensible people.

O'Brien won't even have enough money to <let’s refrain from defaming his lawyers, please - they will have signed the pleading, so their identity is ascertainable. Thanks. Pies4shaw for BBMods> foot a legal bill.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:15 am

David wrote:
dalyc wrote:

This is my thought too. Possibly undermines Heritier's previously stated intent to not name individuals, so as to keep the focus on structural issues at the club and not create scapegoats – don't see how that won't come out now, though.

I did think the internal review was a cynical PR move on our part, so I don't blame him for not being mollified by that. But I'm still unsure whether this is the right way to go. My suspicion is he's doing this out of a feeling of obligation to other people of colour who find themselves in such situations and not so much for his own sake; if so, it can be dangerous when adherence to a principle – even a totally virtuous one – gets prioritised ahead of one's own gut feeling.

This- although it would be interesting to see who is funding his case.

I imagine Leon Davis's recent article would be enough evidence for the pies to shut this down.
It is impossible to prevent racism- yet I would suggest based on all that I have read and heard, the AFL and Collingwood had in place various programs that would be viewed as actively taking more than reasonable steps to create as safe an environment as possible- educative programs, grievance procedures.
Even H said that as soon as he brought it u- it was addressed and stopped.

Clearly didn't impact his ability to gain future employment- went to Melbourne- and there is a fair case his claimed 'concussion' related retirement and admission of using mind altering drugs would seriously diminish the validity of of claims.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:31 am

matrix10 wrote:
.... and admission of using mind altering drugs would seriously diminish the validity of of claims.

Wonder if they are from the same dealer who seemingly supplies our recruiting dept?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: