Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

List Departures 2020: Running tally

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
If you get past the trashing we received off Geelong, I thought Thomas played his guts out. Not easy in a forward line deprived of the ball. That should be enough for him to see his contract out next year. I'd keep him for 2021.

Actually, I thought Thomas was one of our best players (not saying much) in our submission to the Cats.

Thomas kicked 4 goals 4 points in 14 games for the whole season.
He kicked 38 goals in 2018.
He looks to be finished.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:36 pm

If you get past the trashing we received off Geelong, I thought Thomas played his guts out. Not easy in a forward line deprived of the ball. That should be enough for him to see his contract out next year. I'd keep him for 2021.

Absolutely agree. Ideally, we don’t want him to be part of our best 22 but you don’t go from a best 22 and then follow that up with something like 12 / 15 under 21 year olds coming in behind them. You need some depth and you need mature age players to come in when there are the inevitable injuries. You also need players to put some pressure on the best 22 if someone like Thomas was performing in the VFL.
You don’t have to totally wipe the slate clean in one off season, particularly after having won a final. Let’s just at least keep one of two players who can come in knowing their roles rather than throwing in someone who isn’t ready yet.

There’s a reason why the only clubs who put lines through ten players in one off season choose to follow that route. That’s because they have finished somewhere around the bottom and have no one who can take them forward.
We haven’t reached that fork in the road just yet.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Treloar was ok when he first came to the pies don’t get me wrong but nowadays he’s useless his body is simply cooked he is done
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 pm

masoncox wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Actually, I thought Thomas was one of our best players (not saying much) in our submission to the Cats.

Thomas kicked 4 goals 4 points in 14 games for the whole season.
He kicked 38 goals in 2018.
He looks to be finished.

I agree. I was simply pointing out that his last game was one of his better ones. Overall, however, I hope we move him on or keep him as a depth player only.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:36 pm

It’s the midfield stupid!

That’s what I’d be saying if I was a forward getting the arse from Bucks.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:44 pm

i agree that Adam Treloar was a cracking good player when he first arrived but feel double hammies then another hammy has set him back —was still getting a lot of the ball but his getaway to either link with a good disposal or those break away goals are memories

When he could gain space he did as he pleased but he cannot get that clear space an therefore hurries his disposal—-another injury at our club limiting our players advancement

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:22 pm

dalyc wrote:
It’s the midfield stupid!

That’s what I’d be saying if I was a forward getting the arse from Bucks.

That is true.
It is the midfield that needs to be fixed first and for most.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Maybe I’m optimistic but I reckon a decent injury free preseason will magically transform Treloar to his previous best work. Many of you are not fully comprehending the terrible impact on and disruption to usual footy caused by Covid, not to mention mental health issues. I realise that this would’ve affected all teams but especially Victorian ones due to the greater restrictions. So have faith that Treloar will be back to being a gun🔫 player.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:38 pm

any decisions made on the forwards are blind until the midfield is fixed.

But what to fix?
Pedders is a star
Adams won the copeland
Grundy is one of the best
Daicos is the next big thing
Elliot has been solid
Mayne is reliable

people are quick to throw blame at phillips but surely one player, who hasn't played in weeks cannot be the problem.
We've thrown Crisp and Maynard in the middle but I'm not seeing a revolution when that happens.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:17 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
any decisions made on the forwards are blind until the midfield is fixed.

But what to fix?
Pedders is a star
Adams won the copeland
Grundy is one of the best
Daicos is the next big thing
Elliot has been solid
Mayne is reliable

people are quick to throw blame at phillips but surely one player, who hasn't played in weeks cannot be the problem.
We've thrown Crisp and Maynard in the middle but I'm not seeing a revolution when that happens.

The way the game is played now, if you don't get the ball into your forward line quickly the probability is that you will not score as there are too many defenders there. So what you need is quick, accurate ball movement. Of those that you have listed:
Pendles - Yes for quick and accurate.
Adams - He gets the hard ball out to others but don't want him kicking to the forwards.
Grundy - Ignoring hitouts, he is very slow to make a decision, isn't a great kick, and always seems to take the safe, no risk option. No quick ball movement when he is involved.
Daicos - Yes for quick and accurate.
Elliot - Not as direct as he could be. Not bad on both counts, but not great either.
Mayne - Slow in decision making and execution. Poor kicking skills. Sideways, backwards, don't take a risk. A forward's nightmare.

If you think our current crop of midfielders are ok think back to what we had a decade ago. If Swan, Ball and co. weren't doing well they could throw Didak in there. Remember him coming out of the centre and ramming the ball down a forward's throat? We don't have anyone now with that sort of skill.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Are there any players not associated with nor mentioned as regular mids or cameo mids that we can cap as a mid down the track

I have one that could become one with more AFL experience—certainly too early in his career to consider
I speak of I Q. Biggish of body and excellent kick of a Sherrin

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:18 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
I had the following, so 5 is a start.

De-list: D.Beams, T.Langdon L.Dunn, B.Reid, T.Varcoe, T.Broomhead, M.Scharenberg, T.Lynch, A. Tohill, M.Keane (release $1.5-$2m)

Trade: W.Hoskin-Elliott, T.Phillips, B.Sier, C.Mayne, J.Thomas (release $1.5m)

Must be a nervous queue outside Buck's hotel room. Next...

I don't have any special knowledge about Keane but Buckley did talk him up as a potential KPF/KPD i9n his post-match press conference. It'd be a bit bizarre if he were to be delisted on the back of that - almost cruel, actually.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Are there any players not associated with nor mentioned as regular mids or cameo mids that we can cap as a mid down the track

I have one that could become one with more AFL experience—certainly too early in his career to consider
I speak of I Q. Biggish of body and excellent kick of a Sherrin

Collingwood requested the Chargers trial Quaynor as a midfielder in the second half of his last year in the 18s.
He went just ok but he was in the company of royalty in that Chargers midfield at the time ( Rowell and Anderson were both bottom agers in that year )
That at least suggests Collingwood have entertained the idea.
Might be a watch this space, Baz.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks for that history on IQ
jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Might have played his guts out. but that's exactly the point.
Did not impact the game in any way, shape or form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: