Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #16,#9 Colin Tully (1945-2020)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:16 am
Post subject: Vale #16,#9 Colin Tully (1945-2020)Reply with quote

On Face Book his passing was posted but I searched Wickepedia and Death notice for no affirmation

But Bendigo Advitisor has a piece commemorating his sport achievement and passing

Please anyone can shed light on this as it’s been not brought to light on any TV sports and if untrue that’s disturbing

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at Bendigo Advertisor and it’s definitely in Bendigo Advertisor local news
With a photo of Colin taken early this year at Queen Elizabeth Oval

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:47 am

Notes his death September 25
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:47 am

Yeah i would say the article is correct he has passed. They have not updated Wikipedia yet..je only died yesterday it seems
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:48 am

Presumably, it is true or the Bendigo Adevrtiser wouldn't have published this: https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/6942716/vale-colin-tully-bendigo-sporting-great-passes-away/

It's behind a paywall but it's obvious what the story is.

Sad news. Like many players in those days, he didn't stay in the VFL for his entire career. He left Collingwood after 92 games at the age of 25. His last game for us was against the Old Enemy, exactly 50 years ago today.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks Pies4shaw —I don’t always take Face Book as creditable but The Bendigo Advertisor I felt must be fact

Thanks for uploading that link

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 am

Yes, as a Bendigo resident I can sadly confirm that Colin passed away. He was a popular taxi driver here for years and would occasionally attend the Bendigo Collingwood supporters club meetings. A truly decent man. RIP Colin.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 am

Colin was a great exponent of the Drop kick and together with Barry Price two of the best kicks of a football we have had

R.I.P Colin

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:06 am

Colin was involved with footy and in the late 70,s joined another Magpie John Henderson
Eastern Church Group a new club formed called Donvale in 1971 which John Henderson got into GF only to lose—but then won back to back 72 & 73. Again in 1977. Colin joined Hendo in 1979 and later went on to coach Donvale

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Bazboy is correct. Tully was probably the best exponent of the drop kick in the VFL. He would regularly kick the ball 60 metres out from full back.

Unfortunately, he was also a tad slow and this was exposed in the 1970 GF when he found himself manning the fast and nimble Ted Hopkins, who came on in the 2nd half and almost single handedly won the Flag for the blues. I can remember seeing Colin Tully looking to our coaching bench (on the boundary) almost pleading to be moved off Hopkins. Unfortunately Bobby Rose refused to make the change.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:10 pm

It was an era of the kick because the pace and play on ,play on not being uttered from umpires
There were together with Colin some brilliant exponents of the drop kick —I recall one day when Pies were playing at Geelong and I couldn’t get down there and as I lived 100 meters from Brunswick St ground I went with my Fitzroy mad mates
It was the early 60,s and Laurie Mithen of Melbourne said “I’ll do this and I’ll do that to those Fitzroy boys. —-at on stage Roy centre man Don Furness took a step around Mithen and with a big drop kick from centre put the ball thru the sticks for a goal ,the ball landing on tram tracks

Jack Hamilton our full back of the early 50,s used to drop kick the ball almost every time 50 to 60 yards

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:03 pm

How sad. I feel part of me is no longer 😱. He was obviously part of the reason for my username here based not just on the name watt price tully and not just the question what price, Tully? But the childhood hero who could kick the ball a country mile. I loved Colin Tully as kid.

How terribly sad.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Yes, I thought you’d take it hard, wpt. It’s really difficult when our sporting heroes go, not least because we can still them running, kicking, marking etc like they’re still 22.

His kicking was a joy. Apart from the wonderful drop kicks, I remember quite a few spirals towards the Yarra Falls End from the wing with the wind that we all thought went 90 yards (but probably really went about 125 yards or more...).

Very sad, indeed.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Of your treble user name I know Bubba Price still with us

Also Ricky Watt

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:21 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Of your treble user name I know Bubba Price still with us

Also Ricky Watt

watt price just doesn't have the same ring about it Wink

That was a mighy centreline.

Thomspon taps the ball to Tully who drop kicks a goal from more than 60 yards out. I was there; I heard it on 3KZ with Harry Beitzel and special comments from "Chicken Smallhorn" (unfortunate surname) the best way to watch the footy when you were young. Your imagination ran wild.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: