Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Speculation about players who could be up for trade.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:21 pm
Post subject: Speculation about players who could be up for trade.Reply with quote

Worth looking at what the Roar said about some of our potential player trades.

Collingwood Magpies
Have a few big pieces to re-sign and will spend the player movement period focusing on getting those deals done. With several retirements expected, cap room is unlikely to be an issue.

Mason Cox – After allegedly being shopped around last season, has reportedly triggered a clause in his contract that extends him for another season. Contracted until 2021.

Jordan de Goey – Will be one of the hottest commodities on the market if he doesn’t re-sign beforehand. Has publicly claimed he wants to stay with the Magpies, but will command a good price and received huge offers from North Melbourne and St Kilda last time he was out of contract, while Essendon look to be very interested this time around. Split with his manager earlier in the year. Contract expiring, not a free agent.

Max Lynch – Ivan Soldo’s injury at Richmond has dramatically re-shaped the ruck market and now Lynch is a name in demand. Adelaide are interested. Contract expiring, not a free agent.

Brody Mihocek – Is down the list compared to De Goey and Darcy Moore, with the club and Mihocek reportedly a long ways off on a new deal. Other clubs are starting to circle. Contract expiring, not a free agent.

Darcy Moore – Reportedly at odds with Collingwood over the length of his new deal. Wants a long-term deal, but his history of soft-tissue injuries has made the Magpies wary. AFL.com.au reports he is ‘resigned’ to lengthy discussions. Has been linked with the Swans at various points over his career, while Hawthorn are also allegedly in the hunt. Contract expiring, not a free agent.

Tom Phillips – Could be squeezed out as the Magpies look to re-sign their big names. Contracted until 2021.

Jaidyn Stephenson – Can’t seem to hold his spot in the 22 and many commentators believe he could be up for grabs. No suitors have been named just yet. Contracted until 2021.

Some interesting comments there.
I wonder if we would get 2 first round picks each for Moore and JDG.
That would be 4 first round picks plus Reef McInness plus potentially anothe r first round pick if Reef doesn't go too early.
Wow, that might really set us up in 3 or 4 years time with 6 first round picks.
Worth thinking about.

Last edited by masoncox on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It would need to be the best draft in the last thirty 30 years if you were prepared to sell the farm house for six first rounders ..... and it’s not.
The first thirty odd supposedly pick themselves but that doesn’t always translate to the first thirty all being 200 game players either. And no one is raving about the talls, like they were in the 2 x King, Lukosuis, Allan draft.

I’m not convinced we have to re stump our list just yet.
One or two astute player trades, a normal preseason and the expected growth in some of our kids and I don’t see why we can’t be back in the hunt for 2021 / 2.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 pm

the 2001 and 2004 draft got the hawks multiple flags.
I don't think with our crop of players that we have a decent chance of winning the flag.
Pendles and Sidey are nearly at the end of the road and we have multiple players who are over the hill.
It is worth thinking about something radical.
Both Moore and JDG are at their highest market value this year.
I don't know myself.
But it maybe worth a shot.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:26 pm

The Treloar trade involved us giving up 2 first round picks.
Ended up at 2 pick 7's.
You would believe that Moore and JDG would be worth more.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 pm

I don't mind your thinking - but I am very concerned that instead of picking the next Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and Franklin, we might pick the next Kennedy, Broomhead, Freeman and Scharenberg. It isn't as if we don't have form.

Also, I think Moore and JdG are both too young to trade out - they could easily be part of a next flag assault.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 pm

How about trading JDG to North for their current pick 2 and pick 9 plus Ben Brown.
Now that is not a bad deal
Both Moore and JDG are 24. That is why they are so valuable.
If you want a lot then you have to give a lot.
You are not going to suck in a club with smoke and mirrors.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:56 pm

Cal Twomey's 2020 draft prospects comments for pick 2 and pick 9

Pick2
McDonald
196cm/85kg
4/4/02
Perth/Western Australia
Tall forward

The best performed draftee in the country this season has pushed himself up the order with every game he plays. McDonald is a hard-working key forward who takes contested marks and converts his chances in a similar form to Richmond gun Tom Lynch. McDonald has booted 17 goals in six games for Perth's senior WAFL side, leading the competition's goalkicking in what is an amazing effort for an 18-year-old. McDonald's run of form has seen him push right into top-three consideration.

PIck 9
Will Philips
180cm/79kg
22/5/02
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Midfielder

The only silver lining of this year for Phillips has been the extra time he has had to get his body right after some niggling injuries. Clubs know what they will get with Phillips: a tough, inside midfielder who competes, finds the footy and can also drift forward and contribute there. He's considered a leader within his teams and last year impressed in Oakleigh's NAB League premiership. In a season of uncertainty around some prospects, recruiters know what Phillips provides.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:39 am

I get where you’re coming from but there some aspects of that idea that remain problematic.
Remember that you have to spend something like at least 95 % ( or whatever ) of your T P P.
So by introducing a heap of kids and then moving on two of your soon to be highest paid players at your club, becomes an issue in itself. How do you go about spending all the money that is saved. You will automatically find it harder to attract plug and play players because they have just seen Moore and DeGoey walk out the door.

Having thought about it, if you did find yourself with 6 picks in the first round, I would prefer to then bundle those 6 first rounders into maybe three top 10 picks on the night. The closer you are to the pointy end, the less chance you have of getting it wrong ( which is pretty much what G C S did in order to pick up Lukosuis and King who where both identified as future AFL superstars at 16 )

In the case of McDonald, someone will always be identified as the best tall in the draft but that doesn’t mean you’re going to make it either. He could also be a 200 game K P P but his selection certainly comes with more risk than the crop of the 2018 top ten talls

I have felt for a while that this off season ( and the next ) will form the bulk of what defines us for the next 5 to 7 years.
It’s all about the balance of drafting for the future versus trading for the now. And that decision becomes all the more difficult this year when players like Pendlebury, Sidey and Howe, who are still all playing good footy, are also a lot closer to end of their careers than the beginning.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am

masoncox wrote:
The Treloar trade involved us giving up 2 first round picks.
Ended up at 2 pick 7's.
You would believe that Moore and JDG would be worth more.

Who are the players that were taken with the picks we gave up for Treloar?

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 am

While I admit that our club was stupid last year in extending the contracts of Reid, Varcoe, Greenwood and Dunn, which I put down to Ned Guy being new to the job, we’re not that stupid that we would consider trading De Goey, Moore or Stevo unless they wanted to go and I wouldn’t pay any attention to what Roar says.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 am

Sadly, I can see the case for trading Mihocek, particularly if we're planning to get someone like Gunston or Brown in. Phillips, too. They tick the boxes of players who might be in high demand at other clubs but who may be expendable here.

Stephenson, on the other hand, probably wouldn't have a lot of cache after a year like this, so we wouldn't even get much for him. We'd be much better off sticking with him and helping him to rediscover the form that made him such a brilliant forward in his first year.

Losing Moore or De Goey would be catastrophic, needless to say, and should be avoided at all costs.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:17 am

^^^^^
Just speculating but pick 2 and 9 plus Ben Brown is a great deal for JDG.
We are too attached at Collingwood.
Never hard nosed enough
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 am

masoncox wrote:
^^^^^
Just speculating but pick 2 and 9 plus Ben Brown is a great deal for JDG.
We are too attached at Collingwood.
Never hard nosed enough

If I was a Collingwood official it would be done over my dead body.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:33 am

David wrote:
Sadly, I can see the case for trading Mihocek, particularly if we're planning to get someone like Gunston.

Same for Mihocek who's a better player than Gunston.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:45 am

Just speculating again.
But if we got 6 first rounders this year by trading 2 A graders in JDG and Moore.
We could also get potentially 2 first rounders next year when we pick up nick daicos as a father /son.
That would be 8 in 2 drafts.
We have a number of good players in that early age group of 18 to 22.
Guys like IQ, Will Kelly, Stevo ...when mentally well, The Brown boys, Sier and a few others
Just setting the cat amongst the pigeons but hey that does sound mouth wathering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: