Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Essendon Player Issues

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:06 pm
Post subject: Essendon Player IssuesReply with quote

After this unsuccessful thread;( https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=87511 ) I thought I'd have a crack at Essendon.

After a strange end to the Worsfold chapter, the club finished their game against Melbourne and held their B&F the following night, where they just threw the medal around Jordan Ridleys neck and couldn't get out of the place fast enough.

They were also very quick to delist 5 players (McKernan, Hibberd, Mutch, Begley and Gown). Conor McKenna left the club a couple of weeks back and has headed home to Irleland.

I think they've found a couple of players in Zerk-Thatcher, Ridley and Draper, which will be players the Bombers fans will look forward to seeing in the future. Ridley is un0signed, but is expected to stay with the club.

But questions hang over;
Andrew McGrath - Suffered a season ending injury a few weeks back, but was named the captain of the 22-under-22 team. His contract has expired and the Bombers would be urgently trying to get his signature down. He is a player that is the future of that club, but has there been a sign that he wants out?

Joe Daniher - Will it ever end? We all know the saga that is Joe Daniher. Essendon have put a contract in front of him, but have also asked for an answer. In a contradicting move, they also said he can take his time. I'm sure teams will come calling.

Zach Merrett - He was their VC, but was ousted from their leadership group at the start of the season. In an odd move has removed all things Essendon from his social media accounts very recently. That could mean nothing, but some have suggested it is a sign he is upset with the club and wants to forget them for a while. Wether or not that means he's looking for a new club? Who knows? He is contracted until 2021.

Orazio Fantasia - Expected to request a trade home to South Australia. There's been issues between he (his gf) and the club for well over a year now and after a injury plagued 2020, he might get his wish.

Adam Saad - It's public knowledge that Saad has concerns about the club’s direction and has put off contract talks for that reason. It is expected that he leaves. Has now been linked to Carlton, Richmond, North and Melbourne. A big blow as I believe he is their best/most important player.

Aaron Phillips - Uncontracted, but surely required after Bellchambers is gone. May still get moved on.

Aaron Francis - Rumors in 2019 about wanting to return to SA. Will they resurface in the coming weeks? Is important to their back six setup I think.

Jayden Laverde - Is unhappy at the club. I believe may ask for a trade to North or Bulldogs. We'll see.

Kyle Langford - Minor whispers that he was unhappy. Is uncontracted, but grew up supporting Essendon.

Gleeson, Ham, Stewart, Townsend and Snelling are also uncontracted.

The club may tap these guys on the shoulder too:
David Zaharakis - coming up to 31 and having a bad run with injuries. Does another club come calling? I can't really see it.

Cale Hooker - 32 in a couple of weeks. Another who had a chance to leave the club but stayed loyal. Is upset with the club over the Bellchambers issue. However is contracted until 2021.

Michael Hurley - Now 30 and out of favour with the new coach. He was unhappy with the Bellchambers issue too. Could have left the club a few seasons back. Is contracted until 2022. Do they want him gone?

The Tom Bellchambers issue:
For me, they should have given him a send of match. He had the opportunity to leave Essendon three times. Once as his contract ended and once as a free agent and once when the drug saga hit. Each time other clubs came begging for him and there were a few looking for a quality ruck. But each time he stayed loyal. There was some angst between he and the club at one point too, but he stayed. And after going through the whole drug saga with the club where he could have walked away.... I think when a player does all that, you could at least send him of in style. And in a dead rubber for the club too. Disgraceful.

Darcy Parish, Devon Smith, Dylan Shiel, Jake Stringer and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti are all signed up and have not shown any sings of wanting to leave. With Dyson Heppell signed up, but also quiet during this time.

I dont know if this will be a player walkout, but wasn't that supposed to happen after WADA got their way? Couple years later and there could be a few on the way out.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:27 pm
Post subject: Re: Essendon Player IssuesReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
After this unsuccessful thread;( https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=87511 ) I thought I'd have a crack at Essendon.

How do you judge thread success?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Merrett and Saad are worth thinking about. McGrath, too, of course - but they couldn't be that stupid, could they?

Daniher should not be a target. Paradoxically, I see him as a better fit for a team that already has a good, fully-functioning forward-line. There is no doubt he is a great player when he's able to play but that has been too infrequently in the last 3 seasons. With his injury history, you can't build a forward line around him - but he could certainly compete with your existing forwards (and probably take their place, whoever they are, if he gets right). Port, if they had salary cap space, would be an ideal spot - they have a solid, reliable FF, with whom they appear to be competitive, but Daniher would be an immediate upgrade if he were fit. Collingwood doesn't have that luxury. We need two KPFs that are likely - at least on present evidence - to be durable.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:00 pm

K wrote:
How do you judge thread success?

Views and replies.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Merrett and Saad are worth thinking about. McGrath, too, of course - but they couldn't be that stupid, could they?

Daniher should not be a target. Paradoxically, I see him as a better fit for a team that already has a good, fully-functioning forward-line. There is no doubt he is a great player when he's able to play but that has been too infrequently in the last 3 seasons. With his injury history, you can't build a forward line around him - but he could certainly compete with your existing forwards (and probably take their place, whoever they are, if he gets right). Port, if they had salary cap space, would be an ideal spot - they have a solid, reliable FF, with whom they appear to be competitive, but Daniher would be an immediate upgrade if he were fit. Collingwood doesn't have that luxury. We need two KPFs that are likely - at least on present evidence - to be durable.

What's concerning is Dodoros stance in trade week. He is known to be very unaccommodating during negotiations. He won't look at reasonable deals and will only accept an offer that is 80% in Essendons favour.

I can't imagine what he's going to ask for when Saad and Merrett ask for trades. We wont have the picks.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Saad has officially requested a trade to Carlton.

Daniher to make his decision in the coming days. Fantasia too is expected to request a trade to Power/Crows.

Tim Watson declared that Saad will stay only a week or so ago on SEN. Tonight on Channel 7, he's about to report he's on the way out.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:53 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-06/adam-saad-requests-trade-to-carlton-essendon-confirms/12737084

Dodoro is already allegedly sniffing around Carlton's first round pick for the Saad trade, so I guess that will be one to get out the popcorn and watch.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Daniher will be requesting a move to the Lions.

We'll have to wait and see if Essendon force a trade or take the compo pick.

They'll be busing during trade week and may end up having a lot of good picks.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Fantasia will be the next player to request a trade, and Laverde may be looking at offers from the Dogs and Kangers. But I think Laverde stays.

McGrath will also extend his stay I think.

Zaharakis, Hooker and Hurley may all be unhappy, but is there any interest in these older players?

My question is all about Zach Merrett. Very keen to hear what he wants to do.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Devon Smith is the latest player in the news. Sounding like he's asking for a trade too.

If that becomes official, I wonder if Merrett will be next? Shocked

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:28 am

Fantasia has officially asked to be traded to Port: https://www.afl.com.au/news/520723/give-me-a-teal-deal-star-don-wants-power-switch-port-pursues-key-swan
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:37 pm

It's also been mentioned that both Merrett and Smith will remain with the club, for at least 2021.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Lets go back and have a look...

Quote:
I think they've found a couple of players in Zerk-Thatcher, Ridley and Draper, which will be players the Bombers fans will look forward to seeing in the future.
Correct with Ridley and Draper (even tho injured) Z-T got a bit of work to do to catch those 2.

Andrew McGrath - Playing good footy. Future captain.

Joe Daniher - Left. Playing good footy for the Lions tho. Dons would be happy with Cox/Reid coming through.

Zach Merrett - Playing unreal. Does he still want out??

Orazio Fantasia - Left. Playing ok for Port.

Adam Saad - Left. Hasn't turned it on at Carlton yet. Worrying signs for him.

Aaron Phillips - Stayed. Nothing special tho. Insurance ruckman.

Aaron Francis - Stayed.

Jayden Laverde - Stayed. Playing ok footy.

David Zaharakis - Retirement looming?

Cale Hooker - Retirement looming?

Michael Hurley - Retirement looming.

Sadly, they might have space to chase a free-agent of their own. Things can turn around quickly. And Bellchambers even stayed with the club as the ruck/bench coach. Still a way off finals, but I think letting Saad/Fantasia/Joe walk will be better for them in the long run. Can't afford to lose Merrett tho.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: