Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Eagles. Elimination Final.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The game will be won or lost in the midfield. While Nit Nat should easily win the hitouts, Grundy must become a monster ruck rover, throwing his body around to open up pathways for Pendles, Adams and Treloar. If we can at least hold our own in the midfield we can win the game. We have a great defence and De Goey, Cox and Mihocek are all capable of kicking multiple goals.

Pies by 8 points.

Modern football is all about ball movement. We could lose every single midfield confrontation and still win the game. The Nazis won every single battle engagement against the Russians in WWII and still lost the war. It's all about absorbing punishment, preventing decimation in the back line and moving the ball into the forward line and kicking the goals necessary to win the game. The first part we're good at. We have one of the best back lines in the league. We absorb punishment well and move the ball back from defense. The second bit we're bad at. We don't make position well against good defenders and don't move the ball fast enough back into attack to make the defenders pay. If we had younger players with faster legs we could beat WCE but with players like Varcoe who doesn't make position and players like Greenwood and Thomas who WCE are going to exploit because of their lack of pace, I don't think we're going to win.

I like it! That damn bird's nest can be our Battle of Stalingrad! [erm didn't the Russkies win that one...] Anyway, I hope Bucks isn't afraid to rotate Grundy and Cox through the middle for ball ups. Coxy seems angrier the last month and his holding his own better, he's going to need to be up and about against the pushing/holding of Barass though. And rotate De Goey through the middle as well. How this game goes down could well determine Buckley's future as coach, one way or another. His look in the coaches box late last game reminded me of Malthouse in 2011.

Yes, the Russians held on in their defence of Stalingrad but due to the lack of food & freezing conditions the death toll mounted, resulted in dead Russians being eaten by the living. Noble is probably the smallest, do his team mates start with him?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm

I watched a Foxtel replay of last years PF loss and the thing that impressed me about Buckley from a year ago is his development of Blue Steel in the coaches box. It’s not quite there yet, but he’s getting closer.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:22 pm

Every man and his dog tipping Wet Toast, so we are now officiallly rank underdogs, which Magpie teams for decades, have loved being. Even that Mulit cultural Foot Show on Channel 31 and the Indigenous footy show, all tipped the Weagles, and thats how i like it, put all pressure on them, not us.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:40 pm

Cam wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The game will be won or lost in the midfield. While Nit Nat should easily win the hitouts, Grundy must become a monster ruck rover, throwing his body around to open up pathways for Pendles, Adams and Treloar. If we can at least hold our own in the midfield we can win the game. We have a great defence and De Goey, Cox and Mihocek are all capable of kicking multiple goals.

Pies by 8 points.

Modern football is all about ball movement. We could lose every single midfield confrontation and still win the game. The Nazis won every single battle engagement against the Russians in WWII and still lost the war. It's all about absorbing punishment, preventing decimation in the back line and moving the ball into the forward line and kicking the goals necessary to win the game. The first part we're good at. We have one of the best back lines in the league. We absorb punishment well and move the ball back from defense. The second bit we're bad at. We don't make position well against good defenders and don't move the ball fast enough back into attack to make the defenders pay. If we had younger players with faster legs we could beat WCE but with players like Varcoe who doesn't make position and players like Greenwood and Thomas who WCE are going to exploit because of their lack of pace, I don't think we're going to win.

I like it! That damn bird's nest can be our Battle of Stalingrad! [erm didn't the Russkies win that one...] Anyway, I hope Bucks isn't afraid to rotate Grundy and Cox through the middle for ball ups. Coxy seems angrier the last month and his holding his own better, he's going to need to be up and about against the pushing/holding of Barass though. And rotate De Goey through the middle as well. How this game goes down could well determine Buckley's future as coach, one way or another. His look in the coaches box late last game reminded me of Malthouse in 2011.

Agree with Cam that he needs to try rotating Grundy and Cox against NicNat, maybe even giving Cox the majority of the centre clearances. We know NicNat will probably smash Grundy at the centre, so why not try Cox? Maybe Cox's height will have a negating impact on NicNat. It is true we need pace. That is why Stephenson must stay in, and why I think Ruscoe should come in. Make sure Stepho stays exclusively up forward. We don't have to ask him to smash packs. He is too thin and light to do that. He will get killed. His task is to purely kick goals. Nothing else. Why can;t we just go back to the expectations of him that we had in 2018?
If we play this game with our usual pattern of super slow ball movement, we will lose, without doubt. I am hoping that our focus is on moving it fast. Pendles identified decision-making as the biggest issue for us entering F50. No doubt thst is true, but our decision making becomes alot more complicated when we have moved the ball at the pace of a sloth, and by the time it gets to our F50 the defence has flooded our back line. Then it becomes extremely difficult to identify the best target.

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:43 am

We didn't play that bad against this seasons top team. They've lost to the Dogs, Tigers, Power, Lions and Sun. Since round 8 they've only had 1 win over 30pts. It hasn't been a great year for the Eagles and they're just hoping their premiership team minus Yeo (but add Kelly) will be able to get it done regardless of form/fitness.

We should be able to run harder, they will be worried about re-pinging hammies. If Maynard, Varcoe, Greenwood hit them hard doubts will start to develop. The stadium will only be half full, with plenty of Pies supporters no doubt. We can win this.

----------
------------
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:23 am

mackasmatt wrote:
We didn't play that bad against this seasons top team. They've lost to the Dogs, Tigers, Power, Lions and Sun. Since round 8 they've only had 1 win over 30pts. It hasn't been a great year for the Eagles and they're just hoping their premiership team minus Yeo (but add Kelly) will be able to get it done regardless of form/fitness.

We should be able to run harder, they will be worried about re-pinging hammies. If Maynard, Varcoe, Greenwood hit them hard doubts will start to develop. The stadium will only be half full, with plenty of Pies supporters no doubt. We can win this.

They’ve missed 5-6 top line players for the past two months, and have played one short many games with big in-game injuries to key players.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:05 pm

mackasmatt wrote:

Yes, true, and McGovern is the one we need to bump, hard, fairly but hard, make the bastard feel every jarring bump, something we should have done in the GF, when he played with that dicky knee, but we were too soft on him, and ultimately we paid the price. This time, hurt him, give him pain, real pain, providing its in the rules. Razz Exclamation

think better 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
mackasmatt wrote:

Yes, true, and McGovern is the one we need to bump, hard, fairly but hard, make the bastard feel every jarring bump, something we should have done in the GF, when he played with that dicky knee, but we were too soft on him, and ultimately we paid the price. This time, hurt him, give him pain, real pain, providing its in the rules. Razz Exclamation

Varcoe is the man for the job!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Every man and his dog tipping Wet Toast, so we are now officiallly rank underdogs, which Magpie teams for decades, have loved being. Even that Mulit cultural Foot Show on Channel 31 and the Indigenous footy show, all tipped the Weagles, and thats how i like it, put all pressure on them, not us.

Ahh........the old “Us verses Them” approach. I like it because with our backs to the wall, we can only go forward. They can easily a cacoon themselves in their bubble and play like there is no tomorrow. Win, lose or draw, give it their best shot. Grab the tiny chance others give them and put in 100% effort.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:06 pm

think better wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
mackasmatt wrote:

Varcoe is the man for the job!

We should look at the way GWS and North came out against us in the 2019 H&A and bring that level of physicality to this week's game.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:09 pm

We need a good start. Without a good start ( any sort of lead at half time ) then a difficult task against good opposition becomes close to impossible.
We will also get our looks on goal, so we need to take our chances in front of the sticks.
The way to remain in the hunt against good opposition doesn’t really change much.
- get off to a good start
- apply more pressure than the opposition for longer ( because pressure dictates ball movement )
- maximise your opportunities from inside 50 ( but you need deeper entries to make this an easier exercise )

That’s actually not too much to ask. Get those three points right and anything could happen but execute any one of them poorly and it’s game over by half time.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

Yep, absolutely. Would probably be our greatest finals win since the 2002 qualifying final against Port (which we won in similar circumstances) if we can pull this off.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
That’s actually not too much to ask. Get those three points right and anything could happen but execute any one of them poorly and it’s game over by half time.

With Collingwood this is easier said than done I reckon. Let’s hope they can.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Ahh........the old “Us verses Them” approach. I like it because with our backs to the wall, we can only go forward. They can easily a cacoon themselves in their bubble and play like there is no tomorrow. Win, lose or draw, give it their best shot. Grab the tiny chance others give them and put in 100% effort.

" When the going gest tough, the tough get going. " ! and, " Give em hell boys, give em Hell ! " - General Patton. 1944. Razz

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:01 pm

I just think of the Bombers and the Dees that went over there the past couple of seasons when they were rank underdogs. The game was over within the first 5 minutes. Then it was a parade.

Bad start MUST be avoided.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 10 of 23   

Jump to: