Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Ruck

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So what was Grundy's ruckwork like in that bruise-free "State of Origin" practice/exhibition game this year?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:05 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Some of the statements and comparisons in this thread are ridiculous.

I like Grundy, a lot, but some of his tap work is just plain poor.

That tap that Dixon sharked to kick a goal is a classic example. He did a soft tap straight in front of him, aimed at Pendlebury who was standing still facing him with an opponent so close behind he risked being charged with sexual assault.

tapping to a stationary target who is covered, right in front of goal is a NO on every level. He does those kind of taps too often and they are predictable to opposition. He needs to be looking more for moving targets wider from the congestion.

I also hate seeing him using 2 handed soft taps like a volleyball player just tapping it over the net.

Get a decent ruck coach for him and the sky is the limit.

Some of it is disastrous to watch. Much of it is exacerbated by poor midfield play. I have said before that he is obviously rucking to instructions and doing exactly what is asked of him. He didn't start out rucking this way, by any means - I watched every VFL game he played before he came into the senior side and he didn't then do what is now asked of him.

What worries me more than his occasional howler, though, are the appalling stuff ups by our midfielders, most notably Adams and Treloar, when the ball is hit to their advantage. There was one centre contest against Port, straight after we'd scored (Pendlebury to de Goey) and had a last chance to get inton the game - Grundy put the ball down Treloar's throat. A competent mid (say Bont, Cotchin, Dangerfield, Pendlebury) would have streamed to CHF and hit our FF lace-up. Treloar sploshed the thing, lost the run of it and it went straight into the Port forward line.

I wrote this in the Game On thread at 9.12 pm:

Pies4shaw wrote:
.... I can’t believe how so many of you fail to notice that we’re winning all the hitouts and the hitouts to advantage (at the ratio of 2 to 1) but we keep losing the clearances because the opposition players second to the ball take it off Treloar and Adams. Week after week for 4 years. It’s annoying.

and this at 9.17 pm (straight after the de Goey goal and the Treloar spud-effort):
Pies4shaw wrote:
There. Treloar just did it again. Grundy palmed it down his throat and he coughed it straight up for yet another Port centre clearance.

The ball then spent the next few minutes bouncing between Port's forward line and the wing. All momentum was lost, along with any chance of being in the game.

I remember that well
My view is Grundy is a fine ruck playing injured I believe because without him I would hate to see the scoreboard
Your dislike of Treloar is bordering on a obsession now
Treloar has never been and should never be a inside mid. His hands aren’t and have never been that clean. He is a outside mid who’s best is running with the ball and handing it off to someone to deliver inside 50 or taking a shot himself
Was his strength as a junior and at GWS but we have decided to play him out of position
Adams best is a in and under mid bringing massive pressure to the contest which is what he does all day every day
I know people don’t believe it but our clearance work is actually better when Wills is in the team because his physical presence around the contest frees up Treloar to be outside and he clears players around the contest for Grundy to hit Pendles more often.
For whatever reason we recruit players or draft players and try to change them away from there strengths
Sidey is a perfect example he was a gifted small forward as a junior who occasionally went up field. When he moves forward for us he kicks goals or sets them up yet we decided to use him in the centre or off half back flank for the majority of his career
Our obsession with changing players is dumbfounding at times
If we had a half decent forward option other than JDG he would be the ideal fit for Grundy hard, quick and highly skilled and along with Adams and Pendles we would hardly lose a clearance
We have ample backs and a good system, a AA ruck man who coupled with Adams JDG Pendles would be hard to beat. Put Treloar Daicos on the wings all we need then is a decent forward line and structure and we would be a real chance
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
and this at 9.17 pm (straight after the de Goey goal and the Treloar spud-effort):
Pies4shaw wrote:
There. Treloar just did it again. Grundy palmed it down his throat and he coughed it straight up for yet another Port centre clearance.

I remember something else: Adams on hands and knees firing a 15m handball backwards. I thought, where's this going? It went straight to Grundy, who fumbled it and coughed it up.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Gleeson:

Can Grundy rise again or is he all tapped out?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/4-points-can-grundy-rise-again-or-is-he-all-tapped-out-20200927-p55zoi.html

"Grundy's tap work is so predictable now that a forward, non-ruck could accurately anticipate what he would do. With free access to the ball, Grundy regularly seems uncertain about what to do with it, so he does nothing. He drops the ball to his feet.

This problem was most glaringly evident in last year's preliminary final when Collingwood's hitouts and clearance numbers wanted nothing to do with one another.

Grundy said he had learnt from that experience in the off-season and responded in round one against Tim English with an authoritative display, but the rest of his year suggests more education is needed. From being a great asset and point of difference, Grundy has been mediocre.

Admittedly, he has not looked fully fit for most of the year. This does not explain why when he is offered the opportunity to palm the ball to someone, he drops it to his feet, but in terms of Grundy's total game, he has not looked comfortable. He plainly avoided kicking the ball in several late-season games and has not moved around the ground freely.

He has always struggled in the hitouts against athletic, high-jumping rucks, and so Naitanui presents a significant problem for him at stoppages. But Grundy, after the bye and hopefully fresher, needs to compensate for the hitouts and run Naitanui off his legs."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: