Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Ruck

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall one of my fellow Nicksters (can't remember who) a year or so ago suggesting that we play Cox in the ruck and use Grundy as a ruck-rover. At the time I discounted this as a silly idea, but right now we have to do something radical or we will simply fall out of the finals without a whimper.

The fact is, we have regularly been smashed at centre clearances for some years now, mainly (imo) because our midfielders are generally not big enough to smash the packs. We have tried Wills, but he has proven to be a pretty ordinary footballer, and Sier never seems to be fit enough. Obviously De Goey could play that role, but we desperately need him up forward. Maynard has been tried there, but he is playing brilliantly in defence. Crisp has been used a bit, but his best footy is as a running back flanker.

So could Grundy become the biggest, strongest (non ruck) midfielder in the comp? Having Cox in the ruck, with Grundy, Pendles and Treloar as our first choice mids, would cause problems for our opponents.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:47 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I recall one of my fellow Nicksters (can't remember who) a year or so ago suggesting that we play Cox in the ruck and use Grundy as a ruck-rover. At the time I discounted this as a silly idea, but right now we have to do something radical or we will simply fall out of the finals without a whimper.

The fact is, we have regularly been smashed at centre clearances for some years now, mainly (imo) because our midfielders are generally not big enough to smash the packs. We have tried Wills, but he has proven to be a pretty ordinary footballer, and Sier never seems to be fit enough. Obviously De Goey could play that role, but we desperately need him up forward. Maynard has been tried there, but he is playing brilliantly in defence. Crisp has been used a bit, but his best footy is as a running back flanker.

So could Grundy become the biggest, strongest (non ruck) midfielder in the comp? Having Cox in the ruck, with Grundy, Pendles and Treloar as our first choice mids, would cause problems for our opponents.

I don't think it would work. He has advantages over a lot of ruckman but those advantages disappear when he is compared to ruck rover types. He is too slow, both physically and in decision making, and can't kick. How would he match up on Dangerfield, Cripps or Dusty? We know the answer to that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 am

Rudeboy, that is almost as weird a call as when you proposed that we put Marley Williams into the midfield.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Rudeboy, that is almost as weird a call as when you proposed that we put Marley Williams into the midfield.

It could well (and probably will) be a total disaster, but honestly, I don't think we have any hope if we just keep doing the same thing. We know that simply ain't good enough. Crying or Very sad
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:26 pm

I remember Jim Jess being interviewed after playing against us and he almost couldn't stop laughing because for a part of the game Tony Shaw was played at CHF against him. Jim had a good game.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I remember Jim Jess being interviewed after playing against us and he almost couldn't stop laughing because for a part of the game Tony Shaw was played at CHF against him. Jim had a good game.

Sometimes you think collingwood do part of their recruiting at the circus...looking for the next midget.
RatsaK Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Play Grundy at CHF, he takes a good mark and can kick accurately. Use one of the other muppets (Cox, Cameron) as ruck. So far we win the hitouts but lose the clearances, could it be any worse? What have we got to lose? We won't beat WCE doing things the same as we always do.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm

For reference, the notion that Grundy could be used as a pure mid-fielder was first mentioned by Buckley in an SEN Radio interview in May 2018 following a win over the Dogs.

Buckley said: "He [Grundy] could be a midfielder in his own right around stoppages if we needed him to be. We've toyed with the idea of putting Mason in the ruck and just letting Brody go to town at ground level..."

podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=199442
(skip forward to the 10:45 min mark)
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

P4S, Rudey meant put Marley into North's midfield. Cool
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Woods wrote:
For reference, the notion that Grundy could be used as a pure mid-fielder was first mentioned by Buckley in an SEN Radio interview in May 2018 following a win over the Dogs.

Thanks for that. That's very interesting. (It's been mentioned on here by several Nicksters, I don't know if earlier or later than that.)
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:39 pm

RatsaK wrote:
Play Grundy at CHF, he takes a good mark and can kick accurately. ...

Sadly, I don't reckon Grundy can take a good mark. I can't remember the last time he took a strong contested mark.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
... Whatever one thinks about the importance of rucking, Grundy has - yet again - dominated the statistics in his position. ...

According to stats, Grundy is supposedly not in the top half dozen ruckmen this season, and over all players is about 60th in the AFL.

I don't think Grundy supporters should be looking to stats for help. They should be looking to possible injury.
RatsaK Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:54 pm

K wrote:
RatsaK wrote:

Sadly, I don't reckon Grundy can take a good mark. I can't remember the last time he took a strong contested mark.

Sadly you might be wrong. His stats suggest he takes 30 contested marks per full length season playing as a ruckman. He played CHF as an 18 yo and was outstanding before being recruited to Collingwood.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brodie_Grundy.html

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:54 pm

K wrote:
RatsaK wrote:

That's one of the reasons that I was so stunned at the deal he received. He averages about two marks per game over his career, most of which are against the opposition ruckman who are a pace behind him, or against smaller midfielders. That's not bad by modern standards for a ruckman though, as the only one a long way ahead of the rest with contested marking is Tim English. Grundy has never shown an ability to play forward,take contested marks in a crowded forward line and kick goals. He's not on his own in that regard. Who was the last pure ruckman that could play forward and regularly kick goals? I really can't think of one. Salmon, Moore and Teasdale all commenced as forwards. Probably have to go back to Thompson in the 70's for us.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:59 pm

RatsaK wrote:
Sadly you might be wrong. His stats suggest he takes 30 contested marks per full length season playing as a ruckman. He played CHF as an 18 yo and was outstanding before being recruited to Collingwood. ...

It's not like it hasn't been tried before. Collingwood tried Witts and Grundy up forward. The experiment failed.

What was the last strong contested mark you remember Grundy taking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: