Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Explosion in Beirut

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am
Post subject: Explosion in BeirutReply with quote

<split from "Our Hierarchy of Interest" thread>

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/04/898969935/massive-explosion-rocks-beirut-damaging-buildings-and-shattering-windows

Didn’t know where to put this, search Brough this up!

The footage looks scarily like 9/11 on a smaller scale. So who did this?
Sounds like Lebanon are already in the shit with Covid and their economy.

As for the title, I first heard of it as a photographer I learn from, Meg Bitton, posted on her page, one of her cameramen is making a film there and was slightly injured.

How nice would it be to wake up to a world as beautiful as the sky looks this morning? I mean, what next?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s an apt thread bump, as Lebanon has been in the grip of civil unrest for some time now – but yeah, it’s been a long way from the front pages of the newspapers here, and I’ve barely seen anything posted about the country’s struggles on social media. Seems like this explosion may have been an accident, surprisingly. Pretty awful stuff, and thoughts go out to the victims’ families.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:49 am

^

It was actually the top story on the Herald Sun website this morning and is also on the Aged.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:59 am

Yep, likely owing to the death of an Australian.

But while the death toll seems to be of a piece with some of the bombings I mentioned in the first post of this thread, the scale of the blast is also quite horrific. Someone posted this photo on Facebook:

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:03 am

Another day brings more bad news. It never stops.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:10 pm

It was an impressive explosion, possibly caused by ammonium nitrate.

Makes you also realise what a real State of Disaster is? Massive explosion, lots of deaths, lots of injured and huge amount of physical damage.

As opposed to lots of infections as dickheads don't do what they are told.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:15 pm

David wrote:
Yep, likely owing to the death of an Australian.

But while the death toll seems to be of a piece with some of the bombings I mentioned in the first post of this thread, the scale of the blast is also quite horrific. Someone posted this photo on Facebook:

yeah i have to say i now get a news update by email, and all i saw was "1 AUSTRALIAN DEAD"

hope it was an accident, doesnt make the loss of life and damage lesser, but well you know!! I had no idea this happened, until i saw Megs post and went looking for it. and even that oh so vague connection i guess in honesty makes it more real to me. more than a vague aussie dead. maybe that just says something about me, i dont know, but ive watched a tonne of his work on Megs site!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:32 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
It was an impressive explosion, possibly caused by ammonium nitrate.

Makes you also realise what a real State of Disaster is? Massive explosion, lots of deaths, lots of injured and huge amount of physical damage.

As opposed to lots of infections as dickheads don't do what they are told.

Apparently the explosion was in a warehouse that contained over 2,700 tonnes of ammonium nitrate.

The question is was the explosion accidental or deliberate, fkn hell of an explosion though.

By way of comparison:

Quote:
But ammonium nitrate has a potentially lethal downside: If it comes into contact with an open flame or other ignition source, it explodes violently. The explosive force occurs when solid ammonium nitrate decomposes very rapidly into two gases, nitrous oxide and water vapor.

The deadliest industrial accident in U.S. history occurred in the port of Texas City, Texas, in 1947. A carelessly tossed cigarette started a fire aboard a ship carrying about 2,300 tons (2,086,000 kilograms) of ammonium nitrate packed in paper sacks. [The 10 Greatest Explosions Ever]

When the chemical exploded, it caused a blast powerful enough to knock people to the ground in Galveston, Texas, 10 miles (16 kilometers) away.

https://www.livescience.com/28841-fertilizer-explosions-ammonium-nitrate.html

There's some early conjecture that some welders at the docks started a small fire which ignited the fertiliser. If so, there wouldn't be anything left of them to question.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 pm

I've seen some suggestion that this might have been the cause – basically, another country's problem (a Moldovan ship owned by a Cypriot crewed by Russians and Ukrainians that was abandoned a few years back in the midst of transferring explosives to Mozambique) that Lebanon got stuck with when no other governments wanted to deal with it.

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2014/4194/crew-kept-hostages-floating-bomb-mv-rhosus-beirut/

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Hmmm we support Animals Lebanon and follow them and someone posted this link last week - I didnt pay that much attention at that time and I don't know if it is a reputable site but ......

Gantz Instructs IDF to Bomb Lebanese Infrastructure If Hezbollah Harms Soldiers or Civilians

YERUSHALAYIM - Defense Minister Benny Gantz on Thursday instructed the IDF to bomb Lebanese infrastructure if Hezbollah harms IDF soldiers or Israeli civilians.

A senior defense official told Yisrael Hayom that Gantz issued the order to prepare such a response during meetings on Thursday with IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi and other members of the general staff.

Tensions have rapidly escalated between Israel and the terrorist organization since the death of Hezbollah terrorist Ali Kamel Mohsen Jawad, along with two other terrorists, during an airstrike on Damascus International Airport earlier this month.

Hezbollah has vowed revenge for Jawad’s death, leading the IDF to move reinforcements to the northern border in preparation for an attack by the Shiite terror organization.

In Thursday’s meetings, Kochavi presented the IDF’s position on the matter, saying Israel must hold Hezbollah and the Lebanese government responsible for any future attack and its consequences.

According to the defense official, Israel didn’t kill the Hezbollah terrorists who attempted to carry out an attack in the Har Dov area on Monday, and didn’t release footage of the incident, in order to give the terror group a chance to save face and de-escalate the situation, but that Hezbollah was not taking the opportunity.

“If [Hezbollah] tries perpetrating another attack, we will see an unusual response from the IDF against [the organization] and the country of Lebanon,” the official said.

https://hamodia.com/2020/07/31/gantz-instructs-idf-bomb-lebanese-infrastructure-hezbollah-harms-soldiers-civilians/

Just awful as if they didn't have enough to cope with already Sad

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Israel have certainly been responsible for a lot of atrocities in Lebanon, and have indeed been gearing up for more attacks, but it seems pretty much certain that they had nothing to do with this – even Hezbollah have said so.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-involvement-in-massive-beirut-blast-ruled-out-by-both-sides/

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 pm

Just seen the footage of the explosion, which was insane.

Being reported that Cyprus felt the ripples of the blast, and they're 240km away from Lebanon.

Lebanon's PM said that there was 2750 tonnes of stored ammonium nitrate. For comparison to demonstrate how powerful that is, the Oklahoma City Bombing in 1995 was just 2.5 tonnes.

Last edited by Jezza on Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm

https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1290676395316850688

Shocked

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 pm

Jezza wrote:
Just seen the footage of the explosion, which was insane.

It's pretty terrifying, yeah.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/i3lzc3/better_shot_of_the_beirut_explosion/

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:05 pm

^

It's pretty clear from that, that the fire that attracted the camera ignited the fertiliser.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: