Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies dump Blues. All comments, please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A brilliant win, given our depleted stocks and the supposed rising form of the scum.

The best things to come out of it was the improved form of Cox, Thomas and Stevo. None of them starred, but they each made significant contributions and gave our midfielders confidence going forward.

We are lucky we have a few generals who deliver week in, week out in Moore, Maynard, Adams, Crisp and Grundy. Then there's Pendles. They are our dependables. Add Mihocek to that list.

Quaynor has come on in leaps and bounds and he and Noble are giving us terrific run from defence.

Tyler Brown is going to be a beauty and already offers us much more than Callum. Young Daics is going from strength to strength and oozes class. God knows where he got that from.

To be honest, my only negatives were the performance of Cameron and Callum Brown. I'd rather have Ruscoe than Cameron and Greenwood than C. Brown.

Overall it was a great performance and showed that bucks and the boys are on the right track. If we can keep improving and gain De Goey, Treloar, Sidey and possibly even Howe back in time, we have the talent to challenge for the Flag.
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:41 pm

Collingwood have strengthened their grip on playing finals to prevail against Carlton by 24 points. The first three quarters were tight and hard-fought, before the Magpies put the Blues to the sword in the last quarter by dominating field position and the scoreboard, while denying Carlton goals at vital times to protect the lead before extending it to ice the contest, and equal Carlton on 127 victories each, which will finally allow the Woods a very good chance to go ahead of the Blues in 2021. The last time Collingwood were in front of Carlton in this rivalry was in 1981.

Collingwood won their categories from disposals by +28 (321 - 293), kicks were won by +18 (190 - 172), handballs were +10 (131 - 121), while contested possessions had a differential of +10 (123 - 113), +26 for uncontested possessions (198 - 172), and intercept possessions were won by +6 ( 64 - 58 ). Hit-outs were +16 (39 - 23), +7 from clearances (30 - 23), with centre clearances won by +3 (10 - 7), and stoppage clearances by +4 (20 - 16). Marks were won by +6 (83 - 77), with uncontested marks won by +1 (73 - 72), while Contested Marks were +5 (10 - 5), and Marks Inside 50 had a margin of +1 (8 - 7). Carlton won the Inside 50s by +3 (43 - 40), tackles by +5 (65 - 60), and Tackles Inside 50 were won by +3 (12 - 9). Worth noting that Collingwood were able score goals from 25% of their forward entries (10 goals from 40 Inside 50s) which had not been happening for several weeks prior to this game. A welcome return to form as a team, which will be required against stiffer opponents in the remaining three matches.

Taylor Adams (23 disposals @ 74%, 229 metres gained, 17 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 tackles, 6 score involvements, 7 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 4 stoppage clearances) did the heavy lifting in the midfield once again. Started slowly but picked up the pace of the game in the second half to win the ball at ground level countless times to allow his team to thrive when it counted most and when the game was there to be won.

Josh Daicos (21 disposals @ 76%, 389 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) displayed composure and footy smarts on the wing which he has been displaying all season in 2020. Took opportunities to switch the play into the centre square to allow fluent ball movement, pumped it forward when the switch wasn't on, and he was able to drift forward to kick a vital goal from a left-foot snap at the top of the square in the last quarter that broke Carlton's back, and they never recovered from it once that moment happened.

Jamie Elliott (19 disposals @ 42%, 454 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 3 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 6 Inside 50s) played his best game for the club as a midfielder, by being a point of difference at centre bounces, where he won the ball out of the middle, stuck his tackles, and generated ball movement even though he didn't hit targets every time, as he had 8 turnovers. Tidy up your ball use against the Lions, Billy.

Scott Pendlebury (19 dispsoals @ 79%, 327 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 6 score involvements, 6 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) sacrificed his natural game to shut down Patrick Cripps who had 16 disposals, but only 4 of his 16 possessions were kicks, which indicated that Pendlebury won his position comprehensively. Pendlebury was able to find time and space to kick the ball 13 times, while Cripps was not given any time and space to be as effective.

Tom Phillips (19 disposals @ 74%, 256 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) made an impact on the scoreboard early, and stayed involved in scoring chains which were very important. Phillips is not setting the world on fire compared to his previous two seasons (2018 & 2019), but the score involvement numbers against the Blues suggest that he has found a bit of form.

Brodie Grundy (12 dispsoals @ 75%, 10 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 34 hit-outs, 7 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 tackles, 3 clearances & 2 stoppage clearances) had a relatively quiet game, until he exploded in the final term, where he won his taps to give his midfield first-use and had 6 disposals in the process. Take your form from the last quarter into Friday's game, Brodie.

Jack Crisp (25 disposals @ 88%, 495 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 9 handballs, 12 marks, 4 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) had a sublime second half with aggressive ball movement and marking making him an integral part of Collingwood's success.

Isaac Quaynor (20 disposals @ 65%, 306 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 7 Rebound 50s) recovered from a poor first half against Eddie Betts, with Brayden Maynard being moved to Betts after half time, which allowed Quaynor to play off his opponent, which enabled him to play on with dare at every opportunity which allowed the side to look very dangerous.

John Noble (20 disposals @ 85%, 189 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) stood up again in defence by using his dashing skills to maintain possession at every opportunity.

Darcy Moore (18 disposals @ 83%, 414 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks, 3 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) was irrepressible in his aerial contests against the Blues. Also displayed attacking flair and boldness through the centre square when he wasn't taking intercept marks to potentially become another goalkicking option for the remainder of the season.

Brayden Maynard (18 disposals @ 67%, 238 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 7 Rebound 50s) had a modest first half, before putting the clamps on Eddie Betts in the second half, and provided excellent ball movement from defence when he won the ball.

Josh Thomas (12 disposals @ 67%, 169 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 9 score involvements & 2 goals) played his best game of the 2020 season, by scoring early goals and stayed involved in the play as the game progressed. Deserved to kick two goals, and should have had 4 to be frank, an potentially 5 if Thomas was really on top of his game.

Jaidyn Stephenson (11 disposals @ 46%, 176 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 5 marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 8 score involvements & 2 goals) had a much better return in his 50th game, with crucial goals at the right time and linked up scoring chains throughout the game. Could easily have had 5 goals, Jaidyn. Make the most of your opportunities against the Lions.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (11 disposals @ 73%, 130 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles & 4 score involvements) played his role well without kicking any goals. Made a couple of errors that could've been costly, but still kept presenting at the ball carrier to open up space behind him for his cohorts in attack to thrive.

Brody Mihocek (9 disposals @ 89%, 155 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) made the most of his limited chances in his return from injury.

Mason Cox (8 disposals @ 75%, 5 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 3 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 2 goals) had a very poor first half, before bouncing back in the second half to kick 2 goals and won his fair share of contests.

Collingwood's next game will be against Brisbane on September 4 at the Gabba. Big opportunity to stay in the hunt for a place in the top four, and give the Lions a run for their money before the bye.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:01 pm

inxs88 wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Sicks Bux wrote:
Jack Crisp 25 disposals, 12 marks, 4 tackles, game high of 495 metres gained.

https://www.afl.com.au/matches/2882#player-stats

FWIW, and I might be mis-remembering his overall game, I said at half time it was the worst game I'd seen him play in defence of him (i.e., because he's usually so reliable). He had a better second half, but the fumbling, ineffectiveness, getting turned, getting beaten in one-on-ones, etc. were noticeable because they were uncharacteristic. But there you go.

Thanks for the seconder. Jack fumbled, spilt and shanked and sliced several disposals today. Did he improve as the game went on? Yes, but it was the efforts of Daicos, Adams, Moore, Quaynor, Grundy and Elliott that were critical to the victory.

As above: 'Jack Crisp: 25 disposals @ 88%'

Last edited by Sicks Bux on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:01 pm

I thought we controlled the game for the majority of the day-in general play that is
Scum score,s came mostly from our error/turning ball over so their purported ascendancy was flattering
Once we tightened up and got those errors out of our game they were outclassed
The Pig in for Mayne & Ruscoe for Callum Brown or Flip—with Cox coming into form and the Crisp -Adams and now IQ using long kicking into the goal square
straight away I like Ruscoe under Cox feet with JT. Not so much Stevo as I reckon even early doors Trey gets his own ball better

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:03 pm

Crisp was definitely one of our best.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Crisp was definitely one of our best.

yep he was brilliant

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Bet he got the p;:-ss taken with the ball bounce that wasn’t

He really takes the game on. He and Bruzz are my hero,s 🏆🏆

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:27 pm

that was so funny !
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Sicks Bux wrote:
Jack Crisp 25 disposals, 12 marks, 4 tackles, game high of 495 metres gained.

https://www.afl.com.au/matches/2882#player-stats

FWIW, and I might be mis-remembering his overall game, I said at half time it was the worst game I'd seen him play in defence of him (i.e., because he's usually so reliable). He had a better second half, but the fumbling, ineffectiveness, getting turned, getting beaten in one-on-ones, etc. were noticeable because they were uncharacteristic. But there you go.

Thanks for the seconder. Jack fumbled, spilt and shanked and sliced several disposals today. Did he improve as the game went on? Yes, but it was the efforts of Daicos, Adams, Moore, Quaynor, Grundy and Elliott that were critical to the victory.

As above: 'Jack Crisp: 25 disposals @ 88%'

Anyone who churns out 500 metres gained has made a major contribution to the result. It’s a lot easier to win a game of footy in your own half than it is from the back half. It also gives the defenders some relief and allows them to regroup.
Treloar is in the same boat and is unfairly maligned all to often. Probably averages around 450 metres gained per game. See above.

Statistically, the team who totals the most metres gained, wins the match more often than not ( bad goal kicking aside )
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:32 pm

INteresting that one of melb players interviewed at 1/2 time called collingwood "an incredibly good team".
haven't heard a player say that about an oppo team in - maybe ever.

OF course have to take with a grain of salt. Might be one of those people who habitually calls things incredible, eg "Had an incredibly fun time at the dentist the other day".
But seems to indicate we are right up there and might have a chance of clean sweep for rest of H&A which would mean top 4.
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
The little things. Watch Mihocek’s timely shepherd of Martin to release Daicos for his final quarter goal. It’s these little, often unrewarded or unnoticed acts that win games and ultimately finals/flags.

No doubt the coaching staff notice.

Yep I watched it about 4 times to see who it was but Checkers does the blocking all the time.

He and Coxy set screens for each other regularly this is why Checkers average goals per game increases significantly when Coxy playsand if Jordy gets back it is still our best three medium tall attack.

Having the three then allows for our smalls to find some room.

So I digress but lovely shepherd by Checkers I expect it was recorded in his 5 assists

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:43 pm

I’ll add to the current forward setup —-De Goey and Elliott shared time forward but when mid duties required it was JDG

Well when Jordan does come back he may not be pulled to mid after Elliott stamped his mark on mid clearance on Sunday

Does the word FLEXIBLE come to mind ✔️

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 pm

I actually thought Phillips played a lot better, certainly helps when he kicks the goals that he shouldn't miss

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Enjoyed listening to the talk back about Carlton today. What a contrast to the way they were getting pumped up last week.

'Six years into a rebuild, even twenty years into a rebuild and this is where they're at'

'Still too many missing pieces'

'After Cripps, who else have they got in their midfield?'

Well and truly put back in their place. Laughing

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:53 pm

It's interesting that a number of the players who were being picked on by supporters in the match thread yesterday got votes from the coaches - in particular, Crisp was ranked equal second-best (after Adams, 7) with Moore, on 6 votes, Grundy was next, followed by Pendlebury and Thomas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: