Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ben Brown

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Brown is a free agent. Although his contract ends this year, so that makes him....??

List of 2020 Free Agents here: https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=87398

Quote:
Free agent full-forwards;
Joe Daniher (Restricted)
Jeremy Cameron (Restricted)
Levi Casboult
Tom Hawkins
Josh Kennedy

Daniher has huge injury concerns and I dont think worth the risk. Cameron will be asking for a pretty penny, which we may not have. Casboult was a player we could have looked at a season or two ago. In fact, it was laughed at by some. It's too late to consider him now. Hawkins and Kennedy are both too old and will stay with their club or retire.

I was thinking about Brown when JB was talking about it during the North game a few weeks ago. A trade would need to be made. He kicked 64 goals in 2019, but his 2020 form has been off.

Who knows maybe he could come in and play "The Leigh Brown Role".
Laughing

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Also, with Will Kelly primed to become the clubs next young FF, it may be worth looking at someone who is around 28 to hold the reins for 2 years while Kelly gets a bit more experience.

It needs to be the right trade and his wage needs to be considered too. What's he on at North?

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm

No more recycled players thanks we have gone past those days. Time to develop raw young players please.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Presti35 wrote:
I'm not sure Brown is a free agent. Although his contract ends this year, so that makes him....??

List of 2020 Free Agents here: https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=87398

Quote:
Free agent full-forwards;
Joe Daniher (Restricted)
Jeremy Cameron (Restricted)
Levi Casboult
Tom Hawkins
Josh Kennedy

Daniher has huge injury concerns and I dont think worth the risk. Cameron will be asking for a pretty penny, which we may not have. Casboult was a player we could have looked at a season or two ago. In fact, it was laughed at by some. It's too late to consider him now. Hawkins and Kennedy are both too old and will stay with their club or retire.

I was thinking about Brown when JB was talking about it during the North game a few weeks ago. A trade would need to be made. He kicked 64 goals in 2019, but his 2020 form has been off.

Who knows maybe he could come in and play "The Leigh Brown Role".
Laughing

Sorry my bad. Out of contract, not free agent. Which makes his appeal not as great to me.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:42 pm

Another option is Paddy McCartin or Tom Boyd.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Melbourne have thrown themselves into the Daniher race. I thought they may have thrown the towel in on Weideman, but he's finally come into their side and has played pretty well.

I have faith in Will Kelly when he comes back. I just want to pair him up with someone. Kelly-Weideman would have been interesting, but thats not going to happen. Looking at KPP's, we'll need to replace Roughead in a year or 2 as well. If Jake Kelly comes cheap, is he someone to look at? (Even tho we could have father-son him 5 years back)

What's happened to Two-Metre-Peter? We showed interest in him a couple seasons ago.

Getting back to Ben Brown, I'd only be interested if the trade was fair. And North will probably want 1st round picks, so that's going to end that. Mind you, we traded Marley Williams for pick 105 not too long ago, maybe they'll feel like doing us a favour too... but I doubt it. Laughing

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 pm

Ben Brown is a star on song, he took us apart last season, the night Norf kicked our arses. Since then, Nth have gone downhill rapidly, very poor this year, cant win a game. Ben might be willing to leave them, if offrered a good deal, cos i cant see North improving for a long time, not on recent efforts.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:18 am

The only one in the list above is Jeremy Cameron.
Our greatest weakness in our two losses has been the lack of a forward (be it key or medium size) to kick a set shot goal from 50m.

Both Cameron and Stringer did this against us to ice the game.
Mason Cox also let us down in 2018 GF from 40m out if you recall - when a goal would have put us 8 points up before Sheed goaled.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm

JC on a million a year? At 27, still has at least 4 seasons in him, but will his skill start to decline, or will he be one of the ones that keep it going into their 30s? It's practically impossible he comes here, we just dont have the coin.

Daniher will demand less cash, but the injury concerns and the fact he doesn't want to play for a big Victorian club put us out anyway. He is 26 and probably Sydney bound.

After those two, is Ben Brown the best available? He will be 28 in November.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:49 pm

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/26/report-ben-brown-set-for-big-pay-day-in-new-roos-deal/

This article from February, suggests Brown will likely receive up to $800,000 on a two or three year deal.

Is that something we can afford?

mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm

I think we could spend better than $800k on BB - if JC is worth the extra $200k we need to find it and sacrifice something else.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:45 pm

I like Ben Brown, but he does have obvious weaknesses as a player, even without taking into account the dire midfield situation at North this year. He's great if he has space to lead into, he's much less useful in one-on-one situations, and you can only really play him at full-forward. His asking price will probably also be too high for a side like us with a tight cap. Probably better off looking at whichever club he might end up at, and assess whether that club has a young forward who'll be pushed out by Brown's arrival.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:18 pm

At the right price, I would consider Brown and he fills a void up forward as I don't think Cox is up to it anymore.

The media is suggesting that the Roos are shopping him around to any potential suitors.

He also has a Collingwood link with him being the nephew of James Manson.

themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:45 am

mattdally wrote:
Was really good for a few seasons, but that seems to me that his best footy is behind him. I am not sure he would be the best option. Too similar to Mason. Not sure BB could provide support in the ruck if needed.

Would love to think we're pushing very hard to land Jeremy Cameron.

One would hope, big pies fan
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:13 pm

He could swap vegetarian recipes with Chris Mayne.

Plus we'd also have three Browns in team making life difficult for the commentators. Very Happy
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
BB the one-trick pony who is averaging the same # goals per game as Mason in 2020 and has a total of ONE goal assist for the entire season to date?

He’s playing in one of the bottom 4 teams in the comp. missing a bunch of players, with horrible delivery, in a shortened, highly defensive game this year

It would shit me to tears having to watch his ridiculous runup every week

I still think he is too one-dimensional, even more so than Mason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: