Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies Destroy Hawks. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people forget the AFL (yet again), changed their rules (well, flipped them with a 180), and allowed hands on back again last year, the very next season after which acid dominated Richmond.

2002-03, Steve McKee holds his own. The next year, a line is painted across the centre circle.

2010, Collingwood dominates with ‘ice hickey’ like ‘line’ changes. The next season, the dreaded red vest is introduced, and affects our premiership chance after Podsiadly goes down in the 2011 GF.

20XX, interchange capped. Collingwood’s point of difference ends because some ‘old school’ pseudo experts don’t like the ‘look’ of multiple interchanges.

2019, the AFL backflips on a very recently introduced ‘hands in / on the back’ rule, which helped big bodied key forwards like Cox contest balls in flight unimpeded, and allows defenders to shove Cox.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:04 am

princem007 wrote:
Don’t give up on Cox, remember that prelim against Richmond he absolutely destroyed them that night. Our delivery to him that night was perfect , they sat it up so he could take it at highest point. Atm we are not kicking it to his advantage and there are 3 defenders hanging off him. We need to get him one out and put it up high so defenders have no chance to spoil him. I think the slippery conditions don’t suit his marking and maybe he needs look at glove ala Trav Cloke.

Come on now, we can't keep hanging our hats on one great game nearly 2 years ago. If Cox needs perfect conditions with the ball delivered laces out at the highest point without an opponent then we may as well give him the nickname "Orchid" and play Sam Pang out of the square for a fraction of the price. Cox needs to pull his finger out and find a way to deliver under stress like all good forwards do.

MONCO: Your life.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:06 am

Nice to finally dominate the Hawks, after many years of them owning us.

The game was won in the first half, and I think the final margin flattered the Hawks.

Really impressed with both Quaynor and Bosenavulagi. The run and carry of both players was refreshing to watch and something the team needed after last week's poor performance. After tonight, I prefer Quaynor over Noble in defence.

Beautiful first goal to start Kelly's career. Always looked good when he was involved in the contest. A real shame to have suffered an injury in the latter stages of the match so wishing him a speedy recovery.

Cox remains a big problem. I think his best days are behind him now, and we couldn't do any worse than playing Cameron ahead of him. Cox struggle to hold marks and provides very little for the team unfortunately.

Great to see Checkers hit the scoreboard, as he remains our most reliable and prolific goalscorer at this stage.

Finally Moore is receiving the recognition he deserves for his consistent and reliable performances. Carey noted that he was AA material based on what he's produced so far this year.

It was good to see Buckley experiment a bit, and try players in different positions. I think playing Stephenson up the ground can only be beneficial for his development and diversify his skill set.

Magpies035 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:07 am

Great effort much better than last week. Still need to improve our goal kicking. Finally a Win over Hawthorn. Great effort by the two first gamers and IQ just so much potential. Keep him in the side. Put Stephenson back in the forward line. Elliott in the middle was great.

Go Pies

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 am

I am rapt with this win. What a triumph, given the disruptions of this last week. A master class performance. I am impressed with the coaching . I have never seen before such imagination and creativity as tonight. We were entirely unpredictable. Throwing Elliot into the midfield and Stephenson roaming around the ground was brilliant. This created space in our forward line, which Mihocek, Atu, WHE, and even Cox, were able to enjoy. The rebound of IQ from half back became very significant as a result of this space in F50.
Atu and IQ were fantastic. Exhilarating to watch the speed and dynamism they displayed. The plan I think was for Stephenson to draw defenders away from F50 and allow Atu to create chaos in F50. While Atu didn't kick a goal, he was brilliant in terms of his creativity and the threat he posed to the Hawthorn defence.
Wills played a fantastic game. The wombat is back.
Elliott in the midfield was fantastic.
Grundy and the midfield seemed much more in sync tonight. Not sure why. Hopefully, Bucks and our midfield coach know why.
The only down side from this game is the injury to Kelly. He was really good in his first game. His mobility, his excellent kicking and marking, are a fantastic addition to our forward line. I am really hoping the injury wont sideline him for too long.
Some here are saying the game was unwatchable. Not to me. I was riveted.
Our defensive systems are brilliant, totally strangling the opposition - even in the absence of Howe. Moore is a star. As someone said, poetry in motion. The run and carry of IQ, and the speed and skills of Atu in F50, were something our team has desperately needed for a while.
Well done boys. You should be very proud of this win. Go Pies!!

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:18 am

Mason Cox - In my opinion I thought he was really important tonight. Played his role, giving them structure, taking 2 defenders, making space for Checkers to lead into and when they did kick to him, he brought it to ground.

Getting an early free kick and goal meant Dawks players had to change their tactics knowing they couldnt get away with those tactics thru the night, scene was set by umpires putting defenders under pressure.

No Cox means less headaches for most opposition.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:24 am

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Mason Cox - In my opinion I thought he was really important tonight. Played his role, giving them structure, taking 2 defenders, making space for Checkers to lead into and when they did kick to him, he brought it to ground.

Getting an early free kick and goal meant Dawks players had to change their tactics knowing they couldnt get away with those tactics thru the night, scene was set by umpires putting defenders under pressure.

I agree totally. Particulary with how we played tonight. The space in our F50 made us look much more dangerous than in previous weeks. Cox is a major threat to opposition defences, and if we are focussed on exploiting space, as we were tonight, we will be very dangerous in F50. I know our score was still low, but tonight we looked far more likely to score and far more aggressive in F50 than in most of our games.
...and by the way, the ability to exploit this space was also the result of our much improved ball movement, and willingness to go through the corridor much more frequently.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:43 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:

I agree totally. Particulary with how we played tonight. The space in our F50 made us look much more dangerous than in previous weeks. Cox is a major threat to opposition defences, and if we are focussed on exploiting space, as we were tonight, we will be very dangerous in F50. I know our score was still low, but tonight we looked far more likely to score and far more aggressive in F50 than in most of our games.
...and by the way, the ability to exploit this space was also the result of our much improved ball movement, and willingness to go through the corridor much more frequently.

Excellent comments above from kymbo5 and MTTM. I agree. Smile
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:46 am

Much better. Although we didn't exactly pepper the big sticks, we had no goalless quarters, which is a relief.

Impressive debut from Kelly, and Bosenavulagi looked like one of the 22 and not a first-gamer. Looking forward to seeing more of them! And although not a debutant, I thought Quaynor's first game of 2020 was successful.

Varcoe and Cox may not have set the game alight, but they played solid roles after unimpressive games last week. Good on them.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:51 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Greening gold wrote:
He moves like a panther, so beautifully balanced and athletic..

Doesn't he just!! He runs like his Dad, but does have more of a synergy and grace about him than Peter did.

Darcy is great, a star, but can still improve even more, and lets not forget, his dad did win TWO Brownlows, only the best of the best, take home two Charlies. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:56 am

Piesnchess wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Greening gold wrote:

Doesn't he just!! He runs like his Dad, but does have more of a synergy and grace about him than Peter did.

Darcy is great, a star, but can still improve even more, and lets not forget, his dad did win TWO Brownlows, only the best of the best, take home two Charlies. Surprised

But only one really counted Piesnchess. Wink Laughing Laughing He was a wonderful player.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:57 am

princem007 wrote:
Don’t give up on Cox, remember that prelim against Richmond he absolutely destroyed them that night. Our delivery to him that night was perfect , they sat it up so he could take it at highest point. Atm we are not kicking it to his advantage and there are 3 defenders hanging off him. We need to get him one out and put it up high so defenders have no chance to spoil him. I think the slippery conditions don’t suit his marking and maybe he needs look at glove ala Trav Cloke.

Yes, spot on, im happy if Coxy just contestst the mark, then taps it down from his great height, to our smaller forwards, like billy, stevo, de goey, sidey etc and gives Grundy a spell in the ruck. Cox is a fair ruckman, taps it out ok, he plays his role, i reckon. Idea

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:57 am

the fuzz wrote:
90 nice wrote:
Is it me or is Wills looking really over weight? Ill put Sier ahead of wills currently

Wills was fantastic tonight

Like a few players it was his best game by far for the season so far. No more tentativeness.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:07 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Greening gold wrote:

But only one really counted Piesnchess. Wink Laughing Laughing He was a wonderful player.

Yeh, Peter is a great bloke, some yrs ago, my daughter,works for American Express , they had Corporate night at Ethihad, Pies were playing Saints, Anyway, she met Moore in the bar area, told him she had a mad Magpie fan, her Dad, watching the game at home, could he say hi to him, on her cell phone.? My phone goes, she says, "Dad, Peter Moore wants to say hi too you" and im thinking, nah, its bullshit, -this was at halftime,-anyway, i answer and he goes, " hey Steve, its Peter Moore here how ya going mate "? we talked bout the game for next five mins, i was bloody chuffed, really nice bloke.! Very Happy

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:23 am

^ Great story Piesnchess. That would've kept you on a high for quite a while Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: