Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus II : The Virus Strikes Back

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I was just excited to get a haircut yesterday.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:39 am

On today’s 1 remaining case, the Premier just confirmed that it’s a “reinfection” of someone who previously tested positive. There is some question whether this is a new case at all.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:40 am

For anyone trying to keep track, we've only had 39 new cases since Sunday the 11th. That means that, over the next five days, we could have an average of six new cases per day and still fall under the five-case average by the 26th. In fact, given we've been hitting numbers like 0, 1 and 2 in recent days, I reckon we're going to hit that five-case fourteen-day average on Friday (and failing that, almost certainly on Saturday).
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
TBH I was just excited to get a haircut yesterday.

Haircuts are dangerous!

The bald look is the best solution.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Hear where you're coming from Jo. Everyone's different and copes differently.

I'm in a succession of meetings this morning to let people know if they have a job or not as a result of change processes. Fun and games when I'm unemployed after next week as well.

People have definitely been ground down by this but I haven't personally experienced much in public. I've had frequent positive comments on my Collingwood face masks and haven't had any grumpy experiences on my morning walk.

I've had both extremes on Facebook, the stand by dan evangalists and the give dan the boot shriekers, I generally ignore them both.

Personally, I've changed as a result of all this. I've enjoyed working from home and getting that commuting time back. I have zero desire to ever set foot on a train again, I just really want to be able to get back up to Toc and I want to be able to get my kids and grandson back over for a visit

Cheers, thats a horrible job to do, hope it went as well as it could. I like your new outlook too. I think I have learnt im a lot more resilient than I thought I was, And im better at standing up for myself, not just for others. And also how much I value Freedom!!

I cut my fringe this morning, im not a fan of queues!!

K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:29 pm

The Vaccine News That Really Matters
Soon COVID-19 vaccine makers will release early data from large clinical trials, and the results could be ambiguous.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/10/what-successful-vaccine-trial-looks-like/616775/

"In an unprecedented but much-applauded move, the leading vaccine companies have released detailed trial protocols. Moderna, for example, will conduct two interim analyses at about 53 and 106 infections. AstraZeneca is doing one at about 75 cases. Pfizer is doing four at 32, 62, 92, and 120 cases. “Pfizer’s, from what I can see, is the most aggressive,” Derek Lowe, a chemist who writes about drug discovery for his blog, In the Pipeline, says. Companies are not required to release interim analyses, but they might in this case, given the extraordinary public interest in a COVID-19 vaccine; promising results could also be the basis for applying for an emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration. This is why Pfizer was the only company to once suggest that its vaccine might be authorized before the election—though it has since said it will wait until at least mid-November to finish collecting safety data.

Recruiting large numbers of volunteers speeds up the trials significantly, but investigators will still have to wait to understand a vaccine’s long-term safety. While normal vaccine trials might run for years before going to the FDA, the agency says it will require at least two months’ worth of follow-up data before authorizing a COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use. (Emergency use authorization, or EUA, is a lower bar than formal approval.) Peter Marks, the director of the FDA division responsible for vaccines, has said that this time frame was chosen because most adverse events show up by the two-month mark. Experts agree that this is reasonable, given the pandemic, but regulators will continue monitoring the vaccine’s safety after emergency authorization and approval."
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Masks made Czech Republic the envy of Europe. Now they've blown it

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/19/europe/czech-republic-coronavirus-intl/index.html

"It's a stunning development. Less than two months ago, the Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis boasted his country was among the "best in Covid."

... what set the Czechs apart was the requirement to wear face masks by everyone, everywhere outside of the home.

Czech data scientist Petr Ludwig was among those pushing for that mask mandate back in mid-March, months before western health authorities or even the World Health Organization was recommending them.

... he dug through the scientific evidence supporting face coverings and made a YouTube video explaining why he was convinced masks were the answer. The Czech-language video attracted more than 600,000 views, in a country of only 10 million. An English version of the video has been viewed more than 5.7 million times.

Days later, Babis announced the mask mandate.

"We didn't convince the government, we convinced public by [social media] influencers and then government followed because our government is slightly populist. So they followed the opinion of the public," Ludwig told CNN.

Most Czechs obeyed the mask rule. The measure wasn't particularly popular with the masses, but it was wildly effective in controlling the spread of the virus. And it made the country an outlier.

"We didn't see dead people, we didn't see people with coronavirus in hospitals -- the Czech people thought that this is nonsense and we don't need to wear masks," said Dr. Sery.

When the government lifted the strict mask mandate over the summer, most people left theirs at home. The virus was slowly starting to make a comeback. Even the health minister conceded his country's victory lap was premature.

With an early October Czech Senate election approaching, Ludwig thinks Babis' decision was a populist political calculation.

"During the first wave, [the government] was convinced that people wanted masks, so they pushed masks. Now, they are convinced that people don't want to wear masks. So they are against [the mask mandate]," he said. "After the election, they started to push some harder rules again, but it was too late because we already had an exponential growth.""
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:44 pm

^ Petr Ludwig's video (English version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNo_IOPOtU
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm

anyone else sporting the 'no country for old men' hairstyle ?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:35 pm

man the queues outside of the hairdressers! i just went to point cook towncentre, three hairdressers, queues a mile long, stuff that!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 pm

I bought the clippers, keeping the hair tidy no problems.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:07 pm

https://youtu.be/is4whIJRP80
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:26 am

3 new cases and no new deaths reported in Victoria.

The 7-day rolling average of cases was over 10 for the week ending 14 October and is about 1.7 for the week ending today.

As reported by DHHS this morning:

- 14 day rolling averages: Metro 6.2; Regional 0.4.

- Unknown source cases: Metro 10 ; Regional 0.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:33 am

awesome, thanks for the updates!!

im off to the city for a day, meeting up with my sister @25klm!!! yippeeee!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:18 am

Down to 109 active cases.

Yesterday's case is currently thought to be a re-infection.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 174 of 202   

Jump to: