Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who replaces Howe?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who replaces Howe long term?
Matthew Scharenberg
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Mark Keanne
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Will Kelly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lynden Dunn
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Tom Langdon
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Isaac Quaynor
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

Rogue2k0 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:53 pm
Post subject: Who replaces Howe?Reply with quote

With Howe likely out for 12-18 months? Who replaces him in the team?

Keanne showed he can take high contested marks in the pre-season, Scharenberg is great at reading the play, good intercept mark and can get high possessions, Kelly has not shown what he can do due to injury and Langdon, and Dunn are still to be confirmed fit due to long term injuries.

Personally I think Scharenberg is the obvious choice, whom I think has been hard done by the coach, he has done nothing wrong other than being Knocked out by Greenwood. When he did play he was getting 20+ possessions and taking intercept marks.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:16 pm
Post subject: Re: Who replaces Howe?Reply with quote

Rogue2k0 wrote:

Personally I think Scharenberg is the obvious choice, whom I think has been hard done by the coach, he has done nothing wrong other than being Knocked out by Greenwood.

Now ain't that the truth! Very Happy

From the CFC website on the latest scratch match:
Quote:
Matt Scharenberg
Was really good in the backline for the whole game. His ball-use coming out of the back half is really good. He’s add some creative flair to his game and he’s really starting to open up the game for us with some of his ball-use, particularly through the corridor.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 pm

There was also this from the same match report on Will Kelly:
Quote:

Will Kelly
He played as a key forward all day and was one of our better players. It’s three weeks in a row now he’s been among our better players. He’s getting better each week and he’s putting a good block of form together. His workrate was outstanding and he’s starting to get some really good reward for his hard work.

So perhaps he is being groomed as a tall forward rather than a backman?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have at least added Nathan Murphy onto that list.
Similar build and has some good qualities that suit a drop off defender.

It’s a good question though. I think we will see a horses for courses approach depending on the opposition.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Why 12-18 months? The AFL did an in-depth review of PCLs a couple of seasons back and a related quoted a typical recovery time of 6 to 9 months after surgery:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/132894/footys-most-common-injury-how-it-happens-and-the-best-way-to-fix-it#:~:text=The%20recovery%20time%20from%20PCL,about%20six%20to%20nine%20months.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Rogue2k0 wrote:
With Howe likely out for 12-18 months? Who replaces him in the team?

Keanne showed he can take high contested marks in the pre-season, Scharenberg is great at reading the play, good intercept mark and can get high possessions, Kelly has not shown what he can do due to injury and Langdon, and Dunn are still to be confirmed fit due to long term injuries.

Personally I think Scharenberg is the obvious choice, whom I think has been hard done by the coach, he has done nothing wrong other than being Knocked out by Greenwood. When he did play he was getting 20+ possessions and taking intercept marks.

Sure it’s not 12-18 years
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:47 pm

Like to see Murphy given a go
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:59 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Why 12-18 months? The AFL did an in-depth review of PCLs a couple of seasons back and a related quoted a typical recovery time of 6 to 9 months after surgery:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/132894/footys-most-common-injury-how-it-happens-and-the-best-way-to-fix-it#:~:text=The%20recovery%20time%20from%20PCL,about%20six%20to%20nine%20months.

People like to exaggerate injuries here,as if they weren’t bad enough already.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Hoskin elliot

Preseason
Half-forward Will Hoskin-Elliott has also been used as a defender in match simulation through January in a similar role that he played throughout stages of 2019.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:49 pm

According to tonight's HS, Howe is hoping he can return before the end of the season. Scans have confirmed the prognosis of ruptured PCL and medial ligament damage, but it seems that there might be hope that he can get back before the season is over. And, in the same article, it was reported that Tom Langdon is shaping up for a return to AFL football. He is going to play in the scratch match against Essendon next week:

Forgotten defender Tom Langdon looms as a potential replacement for injured Collingwood high-flyer Jeremy Howe as he prepares to take a significant step towards an AFL return next weekend.

Langdon has not played an AFL game since Round 9 last season due to ongoing knee issues and returned to match simulation at training for the first time in 2020 on June 18.

However, the Magpies have been pleased with Langdon’s progress and plan to play him in a scratch-match against Essendon next week along with other players who miss out on AFL selection.

“Tommy’s done a few of our full-ground sessions and is pulling up okay,” Collingwood football boss Geoff Walsh told Fox Footy.

“He hasn’t yet tested it in the match simulations (against other teams).

“But he’s joining in the full training and he’s pulling up okay. So he’s certainly a fair way down the track of getting back to AFL fitness.”

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:10 pm

Langdon will be a very risky proposition but really, does anyone seriously worry about risk assessment at Collingwood anymore? I certainly used to now I couldn't care less. If he gets re-injured, so be it. It is what it is. He can join the likes of Danny Roach, Leigh Walker, Mark Orval and tons of others affected by our injury curse Rolling Eyes
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:58 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
According to tonight's HS, Howe is hoping he can return before the end of the season. Scans have confirmed the prognosis of ruptured PCL and medial ligament damage, but it seems that there might be hope that he can get back before the season is over. And, in the same article, it was reported that Tom Langdon is shaping up for a return to AFL football. He is going to play in the scratch match against Essendon next week:

Forgotten defender Tom Langdon looms as a potential replacement for injured Collingwood high-flyer Jeremy Howe as he prepares to take a significant step towards an AFL return next weekend.

Langdon has not played an AFL game since Round 9 last season due to ongoing knee issues and returned to match simulation at training for the first time in 2020 on June 18.

However, the Magpies have been pleased with Langdon’s progress and plan to play him in a scratch-match against Essendon next week along with other players who miss out on AFL selection.

“Tommy’s done a few of our full-ground sessions and is pulling up okay,” Collingwood football boss Geoff Walsh told Fox Footy.

“He hasn’t yet tested it in the match simulations (against other teams).

“But he’s joining in the full training and he’s pulling up okay. So he’s certainly a fair way down the track of getting back to AFL fitness.”

Now that’s weird he was shown walking laps during the week whilst others trained full field drills
Was sent for scans last week after 15 minutes of match sim
There’s something that stinks about injury reports from the club
I had the mail a week after his injury last year he needed surgery and club denied it for weeks then finally sent him
He was barely sighted in the preseason and silence from the club
Same goes with Scharenberg he wasn’t listed as injured but wasn’t training as well in preseason and was in rehab group at times
Why can’t they just be up front and honest for a change

Personally Scharenberg is logical replacement as at a minimum we know how high his standard is at AFL level and he’s at least playing scratch matches and performing well according to reports
Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am

I think the first in line to replace Howe will be Jack Magden. He has clearly done the most impressive training of all the possible contenders this year. However, if Jack struggles with the role at CHB then as soon as Mark Keane has another couple of weeks training under his belt I’d bring him in.
Clearly neither Magden or Keane has Howe’s ability for intercept marking or general one on one contested capacity, but by simply taking on the role of key defenders they can release Darcy Moore to take over Howe’s role as intercept marker / third man up.
Whilst Magden & Keane are holding the key defensive roles for the next month, hopefully Scharenberg & Langdon can return to full fitness and formto provide a closer level of class to what we have lost in Howe.
Now is the time for Darcy Moore to deliver. No doubt about his marking power, just has to improve his disposal, by hand & foot, so as to stop putting his target under too much pressure.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:10 am

Who replaces Howe? Why? Is this an Abbott and Costello sketch?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:11 am

Von Scharenberg, mein hosts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: