Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who replaces Howe?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who replaces Howe long term?
Matthew Scharenberg
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Mark Keanne
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Will Kelly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lynden Dunn
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Tom Langdon
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Isaac Quaynor
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring in the Irish man.
He has a bit of mongrel about him.
He also seems to have the hunger.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Langdon is the obvious answer long-term, but until he’s ready I think Scharenberg or Quaynor are worth a try. Would love to see Dunn back in too, but it won’t be to replace Howe – his role is very different.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:33 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
There’s something that stinks about injury reports from the club
I had the mail a week after his injury last year he needed surgery and club denied it for weeks then finally sent him
He was barely sighted in the preseason and silence from the club
Same goes with Scharenberg he wasn’t listed as injured but wasn’t training as well in preseason and was in rehab group at times
Why can’t they just be up front and honest for a change

I've always said I'm not bothered by the club lying if they think that lying will help on-field performance in some way. What is bothersome is that they have so many injuries they need to lie about.

You know you're doing well on injuries when your club's lies are the opposite, i.e. when they start exaggerating and making up injuries. That's what Dimma does at Tiggerland. e.g. Media challenged him going into finals to name who at Richmond was injured. He came up with a VFL player (one with a high media profile, I admit) with a short-term injury.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:26 pm

Nathan Murphy. Cannot believe he was not on your list...
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 am

Philips to replace Howe.

He's wasted up forward (an especially poor set shot kick) and a move down back allows Thomas to return up forward.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:05 am

Uncle Jack wrote:
Philips to replace Howe.

He's wasted up forward (an especially poor set shot kick) and a move down back allows Thomas to return up forward.

Isn’t Phillips just a tad small to replace Howe?

Phillips is a wingman not an intercept marking defender. I also want Thomas in. His work off the ball is underrated in my view.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Jack Madgen might be the replacement. He’s barely put a foot wrong, does the right thing and is growing in the role as he gets more game time.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:06 am

Surely the obvious option (aside from langdon, if he were fit) would be Dunn to replace Moore as a key defender, and Moore to fill Howe's intercept role. Moore isn't a spectacular mark, but at his height, he doesn't need to be. He's a very reliable contested mark in the back half, and quick enough to get to contests.

I think that would result in a much stronger backline than Scharenberg or Madgen coming in (both too slow for the Howe/Moore intercept role, and not strong enough for a key defence post). Quaynor will be great, but is competing will Noble and Maynard for a spot.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am

watt price tully wrote:
Jack Madgen might be the replacement. He’s barely put a foot wrong, does the right thing and is growing in the role as he gets more game time.

While it may be the boring or least spectacular choice, it's the most realistic (barring a reshuffle).

Last man out first man in type of thing. He didn't put a foot wrong while in the team, and was only left out for team balance - with Stevo and Wills returning.

A return to the seniors for team balance seems about right.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Looking at our injury list;

Reid is no more than 2 weeks away, but can he slot straight back in and not get injured again?

Langdon is making good progress and is getting closer and closer as the days roll on. Is still listed as indefinite, but hopefully we'll see him in these scratch matches very soon. Does anyone know how he's pulled up after the last two training sessions?

Greenwood is not far off either. Not that he is a intercept defender, but he will give us that toughness we've needed in the back half.

Looking at the rest of the list;
Scharenberg, could be a good option. He won't offer the high flying pack marks, but can take an opponent out of the contest.

Murphy, Keane and Quaynor are still very green as far as games played goes. All are 20 years old too. Murph and IQ are considered medium-defenders that can also spend time in the middle, whilst Keane is a 194cm defender that's been likened to Tyson Goldsack. Youth could be the answer.

Madgen/Dunn, gives us the option to reshuffle the backline and give Moore the "Howe Role". Dunn is 33 and coming back from another knee which is a worry.

Kelly, I'm excited about this player. But I think he'll be more of a forward than a defender. He is going to be our contested marking, goal kicking FF in the near future.

We're not going to be able to replace the huge pack grabs Howe takes. But we can find someone to be accountable for an opponent. Are we confident in Reid/Langdon? Those two could almost come in and play Howe's position, but are either match fit and can either stay on the park? Then there's the youth option in IQ/Murph/Keane. If we're confident one of those guys can come in and do the job. I'm leaning towards freeing up Moore by bringing in Madgen/Dunn to team up with Roughead as the FB/CHB combo, but at the same time, I know that we have better overall players than those two guys, but not as a one-on-one defender.

I think the point is, Howe will be hard to replace. We wont be seeing anyone taking those big grabs. But we do have a few roads we can take, we just have to find the right one.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:37 pm

What question would be better... "How will they reshape our backline?" Because there will likely be a reshuffle of roles rather than just a ready made replacement methinks.
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Looking at our injury list;

Reid is no more than 2 weeks away, but can he slot straight back in and not get injured again?

Langdon is making good progress and is getting closer and closer as the days roll on. Is still listed as indefinite, but hopefully we'll see him in these scratch matches very soon. Does anyone know how he's pulled up after the last two training sessions?

Greenwood is not far off either. Not that he is a intercept defender, but he will give us that toughness we've needed in the back half.

Looking at the rest of the list;
Scharenberg, could be a good option. He won't offer the high flying pack marks, but can take an opponent out of the contest.

Murphy, Keane and Quaynor are still very green as far as games played goes. All are 20 years old too. Murph and IQ are considered medium-defenders that can also spend time in the middle, whilst Keane is a 194cm defender that's been likened to Tyson Goldsack. Youth could be the answer.

Madgen/Dunn, gives us the option to reshuffle the backline and give Moore the "Howe Role". Dunn is 33 and coming back from another knee which is a worry.

Kelly, I'm excited about this player. But I think he'll be more of a forward than a defender. He is going to be our contested marking, goal kicking FF in the near future.

We're not going to be able to replace the huge pack grabs Howe takes. But we can find someone to be accountable for an opponent. Are we confident in Reid/Langdon? Those two could almost come in and play Howe's position, but are either match fit and can either stay on the park? Then there's the youth option in IQ/Murph/Keane. If we're confident one of those guys can come in and do the job. I'm leaning towards freeing up Moore by bringing in Madgen/Dunn to team up with Roughead as the FB/CHB combo, but at the same time, I know that we have better overall players than those two guys, but not as a one-on-one defender.

I think the point is, Howe will be hard to replace. We wont be seeing anyone taking those big grabs. But we do have a few roads we can take, we just have to find the right one.

To me when Reid, Langdon and Dunn after they have all played 3 scratch matches in defence they should be considered.

The safe answers are Scharenberg or Madgen

But I would like "The Irishmen" (sorry good movie) so either Murphy or Keane they could be 2020 versions of "2018 Checkers" where 17 clubs would say "Who" but we might unearth "The Future"!!!

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Love it to be Langdon get back playing again asap
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Madgen with Moore in the Howe role.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 am

Looks like the field has just narrowed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: