Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

SuperCoach Buckley

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Article on Longmuir:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/508363/-you-don-t-need-to-be-superman-how-freo-taught-their-new-game-plan
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:30 pm

Raw Hammer they were informative and intriguing comments. I respect you for being asked to train at Collingwood, no small deal although your humility comes through. I’m a cricket man but would have given my eye tooth to train there. Also I gleaned a lot from your comments about the club administration. Looking in from outside, I kinda suspected that it was chaos and turmoil in there but you have confirmed it. To me this also reinforces my belief that Eddie clearly came in at the right time to help sort out the bloody mess. That is why I get a tad annoyed at some newbies here who want Eddie to be pissed off. They show their ignorance and lack of insight into where Collingwood would have ended up if not for him taking the reigns. I still shiver at how the club was during the Ernie Clarke days.
I’m an unabashed Eddie and Bucks supporter but realise that nothing in life is forever (except possibly death) but hope that any replacement is appointed after a rigorous process so that we get the best available coach.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:26 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Yeah at 80 years of age, Eddie finally retires, we get a new president, new coach and go on to win the next 5 premierships

Buckley’s brigade shouts from their nursing home beds we won because of Buckley...

Good cultures take time.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Reading Jake Niall article in the age. We have handballed A staggering 495 more times than our opposition in games and kicked it 23 fewer times. We rank last in meters gained per possession. Ranked in bottom 4 for scores from clearance and scores from the back half which doesn’t surprise me given how handball happy we are. Like I have said before when watching the Pies this year it seems many especially our back half seem to have an instinct to handball first almost like they are robots.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:21 pm

^The handballing around the centre bounces drove me insane last night. Why an onballer would elect to handpass it to a teammate, in a congested area, rather than boot it towards our forward line has got me beat.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:28 pm

The overuse of handball is an issue in part because the quality of those handballs has regressed to its pre-2018 state, where we would invariably handball too high or too low, giving the opposition extra time to cover. In 2018 and 2019, we actually managed to use handball effectively because we actually managed to handball properly.

This year, apart from the regression in that skill (and clean ball-handling in general), I think teams have also learned to cover the chain of short outlet handballs better. I think I really noticed this in the Carlton game (and probably the GWS game before that), where instead of just reacting to the sequence of play, the opposition would anticipate the progression of the handball chain.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 pm

'And clean ball handling in general'

Yep. That was the other issue. The players receiving the handballs often fumbled allowing the Port players to put them under immense pressure, although, as I previously said, a lot of those handballs shouldn't have been going to them in the first place

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
Reading Jake Niall article in the age. We have handballed A staggering 495 more times than our opposition in games and kicked it 23 fewer times. We rank last in meters gained per possession. Ranked in bottom 4 for scores from clearance and scores from the back half which doesn’t surprise me given how handball happy we are. Like I have said before when watching the Pies this year it seems many especially our back half seem to have an instinct to handball first almost like they are robots.

I just read that article. I'm tipping the boys will go out against the Eagles determined to kick it more. But the question will be whether or not they'll have the testicular fortitude to stick with it or if they'll crumble and fall back into bad habits when the pressure is on.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:20 pm

For anyone who hasn't read it, here's the link:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/what-s-wrong-with-collingwood-buckley-knows-20200922-p55y6r.html
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:26 pm

^ the problems are much deeper...
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:36 pm

^ Well, in other articles, Jake has pointed the finger at the president, for example.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:29 pm
Post subject: Jake Niall - on what is going wrong with CollingwoodReply with quote

I think he has summed up our issues fairly aptly. We simply WONT beat West Coast if we can't score.....and nothing is looking like changing. we can have all the heart in the world...as we did against Port...but if you can't put pressure on the score board, well, we might as well pack up and go back to Melbourne now and save the trip.

The article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/what-s-wrong-with-collingwood-buckley-knows-20200922-p55y6r.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:51 pm

I was just about to post it.

Sad but true and tells us what we know about our Pies.

".....Here's an ugly season stat for Collingwood. They've handballed 495 times more than their opposition this year, and kicked 23 fewer times. Geelong, which also can go slow with the footy, have had 450 more marks.

The Cats kick it. The Pies handball it to one another, until they run into pressure and cough it up.

Hence they are last for metres gained per possession. Richmond are first.

Here's another unattractive set of numbers: Collingwood are the only top eight team that doesn't rank in the top eight for scoring. They're 13th.

Brodie Grundy, the premier ruckman in the game in 2018 and for much of 2019, has been a packhorse in 2020. He's been gallant - playing every game - but also much less effective....."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/what-s-wrong-with-collingwood-buckley-knows-20200922-p55y6r.html

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:13 pm

To be fair, many sides have struggled to score goals this season, Port beat us with only 9, tigers beat swans with FOUR, ! Cats won a game with only 6, the Lions beat us with 8 i recall, most sides have had low forward line scores. But, yes, our forward line has been erratic, bit dysfunctional at times, which is weird, cos on song, they can kick goals, but just have not done it up too now.

All of which i say, we should move heaven an earth to get Ben Brown, be a new lease of life for him at with us, and i have heard on the rumour mill that we now are imaking a play for him.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Jake is spot on its a sad case but true for collingwood
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 21 of 39   

Jump to: