Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Age differences in relationships: good or bad?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are relationships with large (however you perceive that) age differences okay?
Yes, consenting adults can do what they like.
93%
 93%  [ 15 ]
In some cases, but as a general rule they should be avoided.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, they are always wrong.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:15 pm
Post subject: Age differences in relationships: good or bad?Reply with quote

For a while now, I've noticed a trend in some progressive circles – the same ones that might be open-minded towards non-normative arrangements like polyamory, BDSM, sex work and (needless to say) same-sex and interracial relationships – of people taking an extremely hostile approach towards relationships with large age differences, particularly if they involve older men and younger women, which is seen by some as a commonly (or even inherently) predatory dynamic.

Of course, this isn't exactly a position unique to progressives; I'd argue that, even if they're somewhat more normalised than, say, relationships between older women and younger men (and not uncommonly depicted in popular culture), social stigma has nonetheless existed around such relationships for a very long time. Whatever the circumstances, if you're a 40-year-old man dating a 19-year-old woman, I suspect you're going to be dealing with a lot of raised eyebrows (and more than a little open animosity and mockery). So I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this: are such arrangements generally unhealthy and deserving of suspicion and social judgement, or is prejudice against them just another kind of bigotry?

This post was triggered by two things that happened over the past couple of days. The first was an attack by left-wing journalist Naomi Lachance on Twitter on Glenn Greenwald (for those who don't know, a US journalist who was a key player in the Edward Snowden leaks, and later went on to found news site The Intercept) for his marriage to Brazilian politician David Miranda, who was 19 when they started going out (Greenwald was 37 at the time). You can grab some popcorn and read the exchange here, if you're so inclined: https://twitter.com/lachancenaomi/status/1273949314574942209

The first thing to know about this relationship is that Greenwald and Miranda been together for 15 years and Miranda, now a prominent Brazilian politician, hardly seems a victim of exploitation (and, as you might expect, both he and Greenwald have responded angrily in the Twitter thread above, denouncing the criticism as homophobic). So it seems a pretty odd thing to go after someone for, on many levels. But in many respects, Lachance was merely being consistent in applying the same standards to a gay relationship that many apply to straight relationships (at least, when the man is older).

That brings in the second trigger for this: a long Facebook rant the other day by a female Facebook friend, who is generally open-minded towards unconventional relationships but has nonetheless often expressed hostility towards relationships between older men and younger women. Some of her post deals with personal stuff, which I've left out, but here's the rest of it:

Quote:
The older I get, the more fiercely protective of young women I become. I am careful to not make them feel judged or shamed for their decisions. However, I refuse to extend the same courtesy towards men in their $$%^%%$ forties. Age isn’t “just a number”, it is an indication of experience, maturity, self confidence and power.

[…]

I see 18 year olds, only just graduating highschool, only just settling out into the world, looking like young adults with baby faces and I just want to keep adult men away from them. To me, an 18 year old is still a child in so many ways. I know that I was.

When I was 18, I had crushes on older men. I had online romances with them. I was excited by all the things they were able to teach me and all the amazing stories of things they have done with their lives. And this is exactly why I’m glad I never met these men in real life because student/teacher is not a $$%^%%$ romantic relationship. The power imbalance is profound, the potential for damage is horrifying.

So **** being “open minded”. I’m not going to judge young people who date older people but I sure as hell am going to look sideways at older people who date significantly younger people.

[…]

Not looking to debate this with any dudes by the way. I’ve had this debate all my life and I’m over it. If you’re going to date young women, I will judge you. I will judge you severely and so will many others... including the young women when they grow up and see you in a different light.

A lot of men seem to think that dating young women is like winning a prize. […] You see it world over, old, gross, pompous and boring men with young women attached to their arm. It’s a symbol of status and power and if you question this, you’re being “close minded and jealous”.

Yeah, nah. I’m done with young women being treated as a status symbol, an object to prove a man’s power and value. I‘m tired of older women’s protectiveness and discomfort being dismissed as “jealousy.” Let’s start talking more openly about what many of us see when we see a man dating a young woman; we see a man who is an emotionally undeveloped, insecure little boy who can’t keep up with women their own age* and are therefore often inclined towards being misogynistic, abusive, shitty humans. Maybe we’re not jealous, maybe we’re disgusted.

I think she's deeply wrong about this, but I've learned from unpleasant experience not to bother getting into debates (as a so-called "dude") on such subjects on her Facebook page. Nonetheless, I think it's fair to allow someone on the other side of the argument to present their case at length, and I dare say some here will agree with parts of her argument.

So, where do you stand on all this? Personally, I believe in the right of consenting adults to get into a relationship with anyone they please, and think it's very sad that such relationships should be subjected to the judgement of outsiders. Most 18 and 19 year olds are already either sexually active or psychologically ready to be, and if some are drawn to an older partner as part of an experimental phase or whatever – or maybe they're just genuinely impressed by them and attracted to them – then I guess I just don't see the inherent problem. Of course it goes without saying that some relationships with large age gaps can be abusive and fundamentally unequal, but the same is true for any relationship. I don't see how you can approach these things on anything other than a case-by-case basis.

It's true that some such relationships seem somewhat transactional: think Donald and Melania Trump, or the ancient Geoffrey Edelsten and whichever large-bosomed 25-year-old peroxided blonde is on his arm this week. It's easy to look down on the tackiness of those arrangements, but I don't believe for a moment that the women those men marry are victims or that they necessarily are either. In those two cases, each partner seems fairly clear about what they want (him, a "hot" young chick; her, getting to live like a princess for a few years), and while ultimately I don't know if they're really making themselves happy, I respect their freedom to choose to pursue such an arrangement. And who knows? Maybe they even do love each other and are content with their lot in life. And either way, even if we were to conclude that the dynamics are obviously unhealthy, they have a fundamental right to make bad choices.

Either way, such relationships are the outlier. Most relationships with significant age gaps are not between millionaires and supermodels. They're between ordinary people who meet and, despite the risk of social judgement, fall in love with each other. Like my father and mother, who were 33 and 19 when they met, or my sister and her boyfriend, who are 24 and (I think) 39, respectively. As some of you know, I'm 9 years younger than my partner and started going out with her when I was only 21. Mutual love is a beautiful thing wherever it is found (and sometimes even more beautiful for occurring in unexpected contexts), and anyone who wants to cast judgement on these relationships from afar can, in my view, take their self-righteousness and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

What I think my Facebook friend overlooks is that unequal power dynamics are commonplace in relationships, and that no relationships are perfect. So the idea that you should set up or in any way socially enforce boundaries around them (divide your age by two and add seven, or whatever metric people want to mandate) seems very sad and limiting. Ultimately, it's entirely possible that either Lola and I or both of us could have internalised the social judgement that my Facebook friend is advocating from the beginning, considered 21 and 30 to be too much of a gap, and thus missed out on something that, for all its flaws, has been, I think, a healthy, equal and loving relationship (ten years in August, along with a now-five-year-old son whom I think we take pretty good care of). And the same may go for a given relationship between a 19-year-old woman and a 45-year-old man: if it works and they're happy, who are we to judge?

PS: I understand that some will see a nine-year gap as no big deal but one in which you're old enough to be the other person's parent as deeply objectionable and creepy. As suggested in the poll question, I'm less interested in exactly where you draw the line than if you do, and, if so, how you feel about those relationships that cross it.

Another thing is that some people are particularly queasy about such relationships involving late teenagers (which both examples I've referred to specifically mention), and perhaps feel less disgusted once the younger partner is out of, say, their early 20s. So perhaps in those cases, the issue for them revolves more around whether 18 and 19-year-olds are fully emotionally able to consent. And I won't deny that, in my dealings with people of that age, say, when I went back to university a few years ago, they can come across as innocent and emotionally immature. But it also strikes me that people are, in general, way too obsessed with sex as an ethical issue and have a tendency to put it on a pedestal – perhaps a function of Anglo-American puritanism and infantilisation. You can believe both that someone is relatively innocent and still finding their way in the world but also that them consenting to go out with with some hot "silver fox" in a midlife crisis with a sports car isn't necessarily going to break them. Even if that doesn't always turn out well in the long run, mistakes are just a part of growing up, and not everything has to be either unmitigatedly wonderful or traumatising. But that's just my opinion …

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So I selected the first option, don't care, as I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with an age difference or that it automatically has a power imbalance. The only thing unbalanced is your Facebook friend.

Having said that, whenever I see the rich old farts with the standard big titted blonde, I roll my eyes, but like you said both parties are getting what they want from that arrangement. It's more of a transactional relationship rather than one based on "love"

It used to be reasonably common back in the day when women didn't have careers other than being a housewife. Bloke would get established in a job first, get an income stream then look to marry, regularly some one 10 years younger.

There can be predatory behaviour from blokes against younger women and the same from young women toward older blokes relying on the brain not working properly when dick is stiff

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:39 pm

I think people can do what they like. By way of brief comment, though, I am concerned:

- that the distinction between 17 and 18 is a largely spurious and merely legal one, so that people who are 19 are probably in many cases too impressionable to be capable of making decisions that will not prove to be destructive for them in the long run, so I am always concerned for the people in such relationships, even though I think they should be allowed to ruin their lives in any way they choose;

- by the phenomenon of narcissistic sociopaths trading in their wives for a newer model. That may be good in some cases for the newer model but it tends to be life-changingly awful for the.older model. Of course, relationships can fade over time but, too often, “We grew apart” is code for “I’d like a prettier, younger one, please”;

- that some men simply prefer to exploit the power that comes with their position and status than to try to reach an accommodation with themselves about being old. This is not the place for a discussion about well-heeled professionals who can’t keep their hands to themselves - but it is fair to say that there is a demanding two-year old screaming to get out of many successful people and more of them than one would wish do try to satisfy their two-year old brain by reaching for things they shouldn’t. Sometimes that manifests with apparent consent, sometimes it doesn’t (Hi Dyson). In many cases, the power imbalance is such that consent is probably not really possible. Typical examples that I could neither confirm nor deny that I had seen in my professional life might include wealthy partners in large commercial law firms trading in their wives, once the children have left home, for the new secretary or graduate solicitor, or public servants who start out in relatively modest positions and climb the greasy pole of success and decide that they are “entitled” to renegotiate an arrangement that, in many cases, has required their other partner to sacrifice their life chances to carry the burden, so the other person could get get where they are.

How one views such things will tend to be influenced by (apart from the obvious question of whether the person doing the judging is also on the lookout for a younger model) how one views the purpose of a relationship and whether one is or is not interested in the cruel financial consequences that frequently flow from the ending of relationships. In that respect, it is important to recognise that the social relationship between two people also carries with it a raft of economic consequences.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:12 pm

To be fair, as I implied in my post, not all the predatory behaviour is one sided.

I've seen examples of the lecherous bloke after the pretty young things while the missus raises the kids,

I've seen examples of the pretty young thing deciding she likes the look of that wallet with legs and enticing him away from the older model

And I've seen examples of the bloke in a loveless marriage, waiting until the kids are 18 so that he can move on, as well as the missus turning off the tap to everything once the kids leave home.

Regardless, and this may come across as cold, the "older model" doesn't exactly end up out on the street the way the law works, she'd at minimum get a decent house.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Be Okay as long as it's not Stupid like a 30 something going out with someone in there 70's or 80's
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:11 pm

I live in Thailand with a girl 21 years my younger and that is comsidered normal. Most rich asians have concubines etc . Donald Trump and Boris also have gone for younger moldels. A German bloke here about mid 60s is married to a Thai woman near his age. He4 has an arrangement that his 30 year old girlfriend lives in one room and his wife in the other bedroom. It seems to work. The younger one stays home watching tv while his wife goes to the bar with Horst . One girl does the cooking, the other cleaning. They seem happy so why let it bother anyone including journalists and social commentators.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:11 pm

A 30 something going out with someone in their 70's + is a business strategy,

Fvck them to death, inherit cash, enjoy never having to spend time in an office.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Interesting points, Stui and P4S – I didn’t mention married guys having affairs with younger women, but that’s obviously a big factor in many of these stories and also likely a key part of a lot of the vitriol that’s aimed at these relationships in popular discourse.

Obviously the ethics of such affairs will vary considerably (particularly if they involve underlings at work), but I would tend to take a slightly more forgiving approach to them, without dismissing any of the issues you raise in your post, P4S. Here are a few (perhaps unpopular) counterpoints that I think are worth considering:

1) I get people’s instinctive disapproval at the trope of the father skipping out the moment the kids leave school, and how much of a betrayal that must feel for the wife left alone with her youth in the rearview mirror, in a society that renders older women invisible and desexualised. I also understand that, for many men in dysfunctional and unhappy relationships, there’s a feeling of responsibility towards children and family that means they don’t leave years earlier. There’s still a lot of stigma against divorce, both external and internalised, and I think many unhappy couples are too afraid of traumatising their children – and there’s no doubt that it is often traumatic – to do what they should do and allow each other to go their separate ways. So I suspect that at least some of these men have genuinely emotionally checked out and are probably helping nobody by sticking around; and if, once they have left, they have a second shot at happiness with a women who does (or doesn’t) happen to be younger and both are entering the relationship for the right reasons, then I don’t necessarily see that sequence of events as an ethical transgression. The "replaced" wife deserves the chance to find someone else too, rather than growing old in a loveless marriage.

2) I think, to some extent, biology plays a role in all this – I think it’s pretty widely accepted that, in evolutionary terms, men of all ages are geared towards finding younger women sexually attractive, and that younger women are often much more amenable to the idea of being with older men, and I think we all accept the important place sexual desire plays in partner choice. That’s a pretty unpleasant dynamic for older women to have to negotiate, and I can see why, sometimes, they stand to lose a lot more from a forty- or fiftysomething divorce than their male partners do (cue perhaps debatable ev-psych observations about the societal purpose and function of marriage). Of course, lest we get too carried away with this stuff, it’s obviously perfectly commonplace for people to continue to find their partners attractive as they grow old together, and there are certain forms of emotional connection that you’re much more likely to find with your wife of forty years than with a woman old enough to be your daughter. So I have no doubt that quite a lot of these men are a little too fixated on the physical and sacrificing the possibility of deeper attachment. But if that’s all a sign of lacking emotional maturity, then in some ways maybe a younger woman is more on their level anyway! (And unlike my Facebook friend, I don’t necessarily see that as inherently evil; immature men need love too!)

3) I mentioned polyamory offhand at the beginning of my post, and honestly nothing makes me feel more supportive of it than the scenarios being discussed above. I’ve had the somewhat bewildering experience of talking to a co-worker in her 40s who admitted to no longer being sexually attracted to her husband, continually rejects his sexual advances and yet is still horrified about the idea of him cheating on her! I’m not saying sex is everything in a relationship, but it astonishes me that anyone, male or female, could tolerate the idea of such a lifelong arrangement, even with love and companionship. This is where I think monogamy can end up being kind of pathological, and where totally deciding your relationship arrangement based on who you want to have sex with at a given point in time leads to so much chaos and heartbreak. Here, the less-than-progressive cliché of the French wife who allows her husband to have mistresses so long as she remains no. 1 has some appeal, but of course it’s not all about men; I think women need to feel liberated to explore other sexual experience too, and it needn’t necessarily come at the cost of a stable marriage or family. Anyhow, that’s all something that every couple (and the individuals therein) has to wrestle with on their own and come to their own conclusions about, but I feel like it could be a way to satisfy some of the misery and dissatisfaction that leads to so many marriage breakdowns.

If there’s a prevailing sentiment that I try to bring to these matters, it’s empathy. Life is short, and it’s a beautiful thing to fall in love and feel desire for someone. So if two people can achieve happiness together and are being honest with themselves and those around them, I don’t feel that I’m in a position to judge.

Edit: only just saw your post now, ronrat – that’s another sometimes-frowned-upon kind of relationship (the older white Australian guy with the younger South-East Asian woman) that I think no-one has the right to judge, even if some such relationships lean a little towards the transactional. Again, no-one’s forcing you or your partner to be there, and you both have a right to pursue whatever you feel will make you happy (I hope that’s not too obvious, but I think it’s worth saying).

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Often those relationships come down to people understanding their own value and finding a partner in their 'ball park'. Men's sexual value often comes down to status, power and money and women's to youth and beauty. I certainly don't begrudge people using their assets to get what they want out of life.

It's biologically ingrained in some sense for men to seek young, fertile women and young women to find men who can provide for them and any offspring that eventuate. Expecting humans to ignore millions of years of evolution is pretty crazy.

As for your Facebook friend it sounds like she has the desire to "cock block" potential suitors for young women, that's really creepy and weird as it is and reeks of jealousy. Hating that men her age find young pretty things attractive and the hot younger women reciprocating. The side she doesn't seem to notice or care about is the young men left hanging with nobody to pair up with. They want the young women too, and unless they have shall we say a physical advantage then they're shit out of luck. Thankfully there's many, many humans with all kinds of preferences Laughing

As for comments about relationships I think that the best thing for society is monogamous male and female pairs raising children in stable homes wherever possible. In saying that there has always been polyamory in its various guises within that framework. Couples who swing, men who have mistresses and affairs, women who do the same, Couples where both parties are sleeping around either secretly or with knowledge. Hell there are even couples who like to watch their significant other get it on and they just enjoy a drink and a live show. Let a thousand flowers bloom as they say, but they should probably bloom behind closed doors while children think mum and dad love each other and them and that's the whole world.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 am

My simplistic life strategy is to live and let live. To each their own when making legal choices.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:44 pm

I thought of this thread when I saw this article. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/former-lord-mayor-robert-doyle-moves-on-with-new-partner/news-story/6c5bf9063eb7f5d014825da214f4f376

Ex Lord Mayor Robert Doyl has a new missus after his second marriage broke up. The 67 year old's new squeeze is in her 30s.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Ewwww

Only 'ewwww' because what right minded woman of ANY age would go there? Ewww

(reminded immediately of David's post some years ago about Doyle wishing he was important, red faced, something about a salami... can't remember all of it but know I laughed at it)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:38 pm

^ That was an epic rant indeed, LD. Laughing All the same, whether he wants to have sweaty, red-faced, Liberal Party-style sexual relations with a 30-year-old or someone his own age or older doesn't really concern me, haha.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am

Here's a piece that reflects many of my thoughts on the topic:

http://bostonreview.net/gender-sexuality/jessa-crispin-pathologizing-desire

Quote:
When Florence Pugh, twenty-four, went public with her relationship with Zach Braff, forty-five, fans quickly launched a harassment campaign. Whenever their relationship was referenced, both of their social media accounts were inundated with negative and abusive comments (of course, “ugh” and “gross” showed up a lot). Pugh has given furious interviews on the subject and still failed to tame the outrage or the surveillance of their romantic relationship. Much of the harassment cites “concern” for Pugh due to the perceived wrongness of Braff’s age, although any current or ensuing harm Pugh might endure is left ambiguous.

Pugh and Braff share in the unwanted attention bestowed upon most age gap celebrity relationships these days, subjected to the “What is wrong with men?” commentary. Indeed, “What is wrong with men?” has replaced “What do women want?” as the question for our age. And while the older man's desire for the younger woman has been explored, derided, and satirized for centuries, viewed sometimes as natural and other times as unnerving, only recently has it been pathologized in this way. The old cliches about men’s middle-aged crises turned a little more frantic with the mainstreaming of divorce, transforming from jokes to shouts of outrage.

[...]

The language introduced in the conversations around #MeToo and other mainstream feminist campaigns revealed the power imbalances and types of coercion that might exist within these heterosexual age-gap couplings. But while this language helped to illuminate how men in positions of authority can use their power to coerce or circumvent consent, it also implied that a small segment of the movement believes that men inherently hold authority or power. Implying that all men possess inherent power also implies that they must possess power over something or someone else. The harm in this is that it necessarily insinuates that all women have a power deficit, if not total powerlessness. Through this lens, every heterosexual coupling is subject to scrutiny, lest a man get away with abusing his power over a defenseless young woman. Of course the female subject, awash in feelings and hormones and femininity, is insufficient as the primary judge of whether her relationship is problematic.

This judgement is based on a retrograde notion of how the genders amass power. Traditionally, men gain power as they age, as the source of their power is their assumed ascending financial and social status. Conversely, women lose power as they age, as their source of power has been relegated to their youthfulness, their sexiness. Yet the power dynamics between the older man and the younger woman are still perceived as asymmetrical, seemingly because young women are still seen as naive and dependent, while men are seen as predatory and exploitative. But surely a couple like Florence Pugh, one of the most in-demand actresses, and Zach Braff, a has-been actor, should be seen as equal in power, even once the age discrepancy is factored in.

Rarely interrogated is what a younger woman might be getting out of these relationships. (Unless the age gap is enormous. Then the younger woman is re-cast as the gold-digging predator of old men, especially if the man’s estate plans suddenly change.) While a younger woman might reject suitors of her own age due to unmatched emotional maturity or cultural sophistication, looking to an older man to provide what a younger man cannot is often dismissed as indicative of “daddy issues.” This renders young women trapped within a childlike psychological complex.

The whole thing is well worth a read. And Pugh's short Instagram video responding to the comments is a really dignified and well-worded backhand to the small-mindedness of, honestly, people like my Facebook friend who think it's okay to pass judgement on adult relationships from afar: https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-vBzJ6FyoU/

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:53 am

You seem very interested in this topic, David. You're not thinking about trading the ol girl in for a newer model are you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: