Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Selling footy records as a kid and record memories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:56 pm
Post subject: Selling footy records as a kid and record memoriesReply with quote

Can anyone remember if they sold footy records as a kid. I did it though the 1980's when I was a kid at primary school. I sold records at Moorabbin Oval and Vic Park and later on at Waverley park too. I remember those days I made some buddies too back then and was an easy job. It was one of my first jobs I had along with the local newspaper run like all kids did.
The record was heaps cheaper back then but had all the main info in it and was pocket size too easy to put in you pocket. Also made of rougher paper back then not the glossy stuff these days.
We used to get into the matches at 1/4 time free and used to mark down scores and stats in the record to was great fun.
Did anyone record the scores in their record while watching the footy at the game. I did.
I know a mate of mine that's got a huge collection of records through the 70's 80's and 90's.
I did the same when I moved to Sydney in 1991-1995 in high school in the rugby league their mag was called big league.
Great times.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't sell footy records but it sure was one of life's little pleasures to mark down the scores as a kid.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:57 pm

When i was a teen, bored on saturday arvos, i used to wander down to Moorabbin, we lived in Highett, to watch the saints play, always hoping the other side would win. Anyway, back then the Footy Record was 20 cents, and was small and only in black n white print. I dont buy it now, bloody ripoff if you ask me.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
I didn't sell footy records but it sure was one of life's little pleasures to mark down the scores as a kid.

Trying to work out E vs J and S vs T For the other games was always a task until you got the hang of things.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:37 pm
Post subject: Re: Selling footy records as a kid and record memoriesReply with quote

90 nice wrote:
Can anyone remember if they sold footy records as a kid.

If I did I can’t remember. I did however sell pies at VFL Park.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:50 pm

The pies were better back then too more actual meat chunks and less runny gravy. These days they are just filled with hot runny gravy these are the pies at the footy. The best pies come from the old country bakery too. If at the mcg footy I like the sausage rolls better made by 4 n 20. Pies I like mrs macs and Herbert Adams. Must have Angus beef.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Didn't sell Records, but sold the afternoon Herald on intersections. Started the day Gough Whitlam was sacked, sold the most papers ever, thought how easy is this! The call was, 'EE Er-ald'.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:21 pm

Amazing so easy to get a job back then too everyone had one
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm

No, I didn't sell them but I have kept a large pile of them from the early 1970's.

It was probably about 15 years ago that the son of a friend wanted to see his team play in the GF but missed out on a ticket so it was time for a bit of ingenuity. He went to the ground, bought a few Footy Records outside, then slipped on his home made replica Footy Record seller's clothes and walked straight in!
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Mrs macs should be renamed Mrs MSG. They are awful. Almost as bad as Sargents pies.

I thought the crisp pie crust that the old 4'n'20 pies had when they were in foil trays was peak footy pie.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:02 pm

4 and 20 were great pies too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: