Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vaping - e-cigarettes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:10 pm
Post subject: Vaping - e-cigarettesReply with quote

Time to put this up. The government has decided, with the support of all the usual health nuffies, to ban vaping and the importation of nicotine liquid.

I have no dog in this fight anymore, I quite cigarettes 5 months ago but before that I used vaping as a way to cut down. I know several people who have given up cigarettes completely using vaping, I couldn't.

For those going WTF right now, vaping is the term applied to people using an e-cigarette.

When you buy the liquid from a reputable source, you have food grade glycerol with nicotine and flavours added. The device you use mimic's a cigarette in that you inhale heated vapour and expel "smoke". Nothing burns, you get a nicotine hit in a way that mimics smoking a cigarette but it's a lot better for you than smoking and an absolute fuckload cheaper.

So now it's going to be illegal to import nicotine liquid, a lot of people who've been managing their nicotine addiction with vaping are facing replacing a $40 per month habit (after set up costs) with a $40 per day habit that is worse for their health.

A couple of articles.

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/will-the-july-1-vaping-ban-push-people-back-to-cigarettes/12385698?

Quote:
Nicotine e-cigarettes and refills will be banned in Australia from July 1 under pain of a $220,000 fine. In the United Kingdom, they're advertised and sold in hospital foyers. What's going on?

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/06/why-does-big-public-health-want-to-keep-us-smoking/?fbclid=IwAR3bYYGRKjLJzRmwe-RdFKpUjSchiWc2kyL393KIZv2xX2iPRAnZTkUDyKI

Quote:
My partner started smoking cigarettes in high school. A little over a year ago, he quit, thanks to nicotine vaping. But last week, the Therapeutic Goods Administration, at the behest of Health Minister Greg Hunt, robbed him and thousands of other Australians of the most effective nicotine replacement therapy available. As of 1 July, vapers will face a $220,000 fine if they try to import their nicotine vape liquid from vape shops abroad — even if they have a prescription.

I personally have 2 different devices and enough e-liquid to last 3 months, if I used it. I don't. I don't smoke or vape any more I quit cold turkey and after 5 months still have moments I could stab someone just to steal their cigarette.

Read the articles, the science suggests that while you can't claim vaping is healthy, it's a lots less bad for you than smoking and the UK, Canada and NZ are promoting it successfully as a a way to give up cigarettes.

If you want, sign the petition here https://www.vapepetition.com.au/?recruiter_id=403011

Yeah, it's from the Libs Nats, 2 people I know shared this link on facebook, 1 is a paid up Labor member, the other would stab you if you implied he voted Liberal.

This is bullshit. We have a whole thread talking about the prospect of legalising drugs when we're about to criminalise nicotine replacement thereapy

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This has my full support. (I don't smoke and have never vaped.) On my way to sign it now.

And you know my politics.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:21 pm

PS: Matt Canavan and George Christensen are two of the worst a-holes ever seen in Australian politics. But even a stopped clock is right sometimes. I signed it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Yeah, I’m with you, Stui. Seems like nanny statism and a move lacking in common sense. Obviously I understand concerns that it could be a way for people to get addicted without the financial deterrent of cigarettes, but surely we know by now that bans aren’t an effective way of dealing with this stuff.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:44 pm

Cheers David and Tannin
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 pm

Yep Stui signed from J’s post - ridiculous policy!!!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:23 pm

Vaping was a huge step forward, immediately improving life for non-smokers, let alone smokers themselves. Risking those gains is idiotic. Good petition.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:14 pm

I want it banned. We need vaping like we need CornaVirus and cigarettes
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:49 am

^Yes, but it's a classic vice. Wouldn't the more effective path be to lessen the evils of vaping over time?
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:32 am

watt price tully wrote:

I think it's better to be rid of the nicotine addiction, overall, but don't you believe it is better for someone to vape than smoke, if they are aren't managing to give up?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:58 am

roar wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I think it's better to be rid of the nicotine addiction, overall, but don't you believe it is better for someone to vape than smoke, if they are aren't managing to give up?

Nope. Vaping is also damaging.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:45 pm

^ Vastly less so to the user, and enormously less so to all others. What do you have against doing vastly less damage?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:33 pm

watt price tully wrote:

If you don't like vaping, then don't vape. Stop begging big daddy Government to ban things you don't like, because eventually they'll ban things you do.

Personally I think vaping is horrible and people doing it look like tools but I signed the petition because tools should have the freedom to be tools if they want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: