Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Films and TV shows removed from streaming services

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:21 pm
Post subject: Films and TV shows removed from streaming servicesReply with quote

<split from the "Things that make you go WTF? Part II" and "What should or shouldn’t be shown on TV?" threads. Thanks, David for BBMods.>

ffs now this

Basil Fawlty ; cancelled.

https://7news.com.au/the-morning-show/fawlty-towers-episode-the-germans-pulled-from-bbc-owned-streaming-service-uktv--c-1096148?fbclid=IwAR1ktAoWzEKHEBuiwg5-26JTX5OdBy5rv1G0-QlNue3BLtgreogTsWtIGdA

Gone with the wind removed, pending some probable editing

https://www.distractify.com/p/why-gone-with-the-wind-banned

bring out your movie collection, it needs to be edited / erased. year zero approaches. Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

so bloody ridiculous.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:46 pm

I've posted before comparing this dysfunctional, dying society to ancient Byzantium. Now we are up to the iconoclast stage. (Look it up. Same script as today, only more than a thousand years ago.)
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Pi wrote:
ffs now this

https://7news.com.au/the-morning-show/fawlty-towers-episode-the-germans-pulled-from-bbc-owned-streaming-service-uktv--c-1096148?fbclid=IwAR1ktAoWzEKHEBuiwg5-26JTX5OdBy5rv1G0-QlNue3BLtgreogTsWtIGdA

Getting seriously ridiculous now! One of my favourite episodes it's hilarious Laughing Laughing Glad we have the DVDs tucked away!

Surely the whole series has to go now - "he's from Barcelona" must be racist! Razz

Wonder what's next Rolling Eyes

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Pi wrote:
ffs now this

Gone with the wind removed, pending some probable editing

https://www.distractify.com/p/why-gone-with-the-wind-banned

bring out your movie collection, it needs to be edited / erased. year zero approaches. Rolling Eyes

The world has gone mad in trying to demonstrate how "woke" they are Rolling Eyes

I find the whole thing pathetic.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
I've posted before comparing this dysfunctional, dying society to ancient Byzantium. Now we are up to the iconoclast stage. (Look it up. Same script as today, only more than a thousand years ago.)

Once society reaches the point that it has it's head firmly lodged in it's own arse, it's just a matter of time.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:12 pm

I demand all copies of The Castle be destroyed and this show never to be shown again because of its racist overtones.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:45 am

https://www.theage.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/john-cleese-slams-uktv-decision-to-remove-fawlty-towers-episode-as-stupid-20200612-p5523w.html

Apart from Cleese not being comparable to Newton, Socrates & Caravaggio, they are irrelevant anyway, because Caravaggio didn't film a movie of himself murdering someone, etc. (I don't know if Socrates wrote in praise of slavery -- no talk of Socrates here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/slavery/ethics/philosophers_1.shtml .)
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:18 am

I’m really in shock over this shit, and wishing I had a copy of Gone with the wind! Not something I’d watch often but still! Doing a mental check making sure I have a copy of all my favourites! Die hard 3, I guess when Bruce Willis calls a black man a racist (he was!) will be gone!

How about those bad pizza shows, vaguely remember I show with w*g in the title, is that out too? Every war movie ever made, bye bye, I mean if the goose step in a comedy upsets people, you can can a shit load of docos too.

How do you learn from something if you simply erase history? I guess much as the One country apparently did in their history books in school, and it’s not Germany. Or the US.

Stu I hope you have a copy of Django Unchained

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:13 am

A few things to clarify here:

1) Gone with the Wind is only temporarily being pulled from one streaming service (HBO Max in the US) so that a short disclaimer can be added at the beginning of this kind:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcReBG9s5MndpkmSPE7JIm1uqoo0_Wl0kgVtCZ-hnkQGmbx-Mnvu&usqp=CAU

So I think that one is largely a beat-up and not exactly a pressing case of censorship or artistic suppression. As these things go, I don’t think such disclaimers are so bad.

2) The TV episodes, in contrast, are, presumably, gone for good, or at least until a time when this has all blown over and they can be quietly reinstated (as often happens). I don’t love that, but it’s not exactly a new trend; TV networks have selectively avoided re-airing controversial episodes of TV shows for decades, and to this day networks like Disney+ censor scenes from shows like The Simpsons for innocuous reasons (something far more unforgivable, in my books). What bothers me is that streaming companies are angling to be the dominant means of accessing films and TV shows, and thus in effect are engaged in acts of suppression (particularly if they hold exclusive copyright over a show that’s been disappeared). This is just one reason why I continue to support physical media, and, to be honest, piracy, because I think people have a right to see what they choose to, and there are many ways in which work gets suppressed – including simply not being considered commercially viable enough to be made available in the first place. Ironically, in cases of Little Britain et al, this is where a Gone with the Wind-style disclaimer can come in handy, although I suspect companies feel a little more comfortable doing that for eighty-year-old films and TV shows than they do for things made, say, five years ago.

3) I hope that no-one for a minute thinks that streaming companies have gone "woke" (whether one is inclined to see that as a good or bad thing). They’re only looking out for themselves, and would simply rather whitewash history than be associated with anything that could net them bad PR. And this also gets them free press (who here had heard of HBO Max before this? Now we’re all talking about them). So to say their motives are less than pure here would be an understatement. And if one is less interested in motivation than outcome, it’s worth considering the negative effects of selectively suppressing old work that doesn’t flatter contemporary viewpoints and paints the past in a rose-coloured light – beyond, of course, valid questions over whether adults ought to be treated like children who are incapable of thinking for themselves.

4) Ultimately, I think this is a reminder that the streaming company model is capricious. Something that’s there today may be gone tomorrow and never come back, for any number of reasons. So maybe something to think about before putting your DVD player on the nature strip.

Otherwise, I think this is a very good response to HBO’s Gone with the Wind removal:

https://www.vulture.com/article/the-absolutist-case-for-gone-with-the-wind.html

Quote:
Was this really just about one movie? It’s so easy — a film now further removed from the present day than it is from the Civil War itself. Yes, it’s a pernicious attempt to rewrite history in a way all too familiar to bigots of our own era, but also one that feels like a relic of a different world. Denouncing it is a way of saying, We’re not like that anymore. But problematic pop culture isn’t a historical phenomenon; it’s a timeline, with new points charted on it every year. (Lest anyone forget, the top-grossing movie of 2020 is a celebration of cops who don’t play by the rules called Bad Boys for Life. That aged well.)

At a moment when practically every one of your favorite brands — and any number of people in trouble — have their “We are now going to take some time to reflect and grow” statements ready to Instagram, we should all cast a skeptical glance at gestures that cost nobody a dime and change nothing. Removing Gone With the Wind was one. Bringing it back with a label may just be another. Like all streaming services, HBO Max is a strange combination of old and new — it’s a repository of existing content that, combined with HBO, is also allocating more than a billion dollars to the creation of original content. If you think of it as a vast museum that has a huge store filled with new products in the front, maybe its mission should be non-interventionist in the museum and activist in the store. In other words, if HBO Max really believes we’re “not like that anymore,” money talks, and funding new shows by BIPOC creators will speak louder than any words that will now precede Gone With the Wind.

Last edited by David on Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm

It's not just the streaming companies, there's others keen to appear woke atm, I think the whole thing is fkn ridiculous.

And yeah TP, I'm hanging onto my copy of Django unchained, might have to check around for a copy of Tropic Thunder too.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:51 pm

I think I've got a copy of Gone with the Wind somewhere, better hang onto it. Laughing

As for streaming services not being woke, Netflix is one of the wokest companies out there. Hence a whole lot of memes like this:

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:54 pm

What about The Club?

It has anti-Tasmanian tones throughout the film.

#ErrolFlynn

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Guess we won't be seeing Love Thy Neighbour anytime soon Wink

My God people would have a field day with that one now, honky tonk, nig nog, whitey, all used regularly.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:27 pm

Seems the best place to put this

Penny Lane signs defaced in Liverpool over slavery claims

Road signs on Penny Lane in Liverpool have been defaced over claims they are linked to slave merchant James Penny.
The markers had the word Penny blacked out and the word racist written above them on Thursday night.

The city's International Slavery Museum said it was not certain whether the street, which was immortalised in a song by The Beatles in 1967, was named after the 18th Century slave merchant.
A spokeswoman said "more research is needed" to clarify the name's origin.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-52992669

I always thought it was so named because there was a bridge at the end that cost a penny to cross - like the Ha'penny (Liffey) Bridge in Dublin?

Either way what do they hope to achieve with actions such as these Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: