Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely ScoMo was misquoted, otherwise he has seriously lost the plot:

https://junkee.com/forklift-license-children-scott-morrison/319965

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:18 pm

The source of the story seems to be The Guardian which immediately puts it's integrity at doubt, also the mischievous term "Children" which while technically correct implies that he wants to let primary school kids drive forklifts.

Currently Vic and NSW have minimum age of 18 for a forklift licence, yet NSW lets you get your P's and drive a car on the road at 17.

No reason why a 16 or 17 year old shouldn't be able to get a forklift licence, even though they are legally "children"

Last edited by stui magpie on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:50 pm

This is my thought too, Stui. I don't have a strong opinion either way – it might be that 18 is the right age to start being able to safely drive heavy machinery – but as you say, we literally already let "children" as young as 15 (supervised) or 17 (unsupervised) drive cars, which are no less prone to lethal accidents. People in this age range are also able to work a good many other jobs, so talking about this as "child labour" is more than a little mischievous.

One thing I will say against this, though, is that employee shortages are not a good reason to start watering down safety rules. I'd feel a lot more comfortable about a proposal like this if it wasn't happening during a supply chain crisis. As it is, I think it's reasonable to look on this as an instance of companies putting profits over safety, and that always needs to be opposed on principle.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:41 pm

I agree with safety over profit but I wasn't considering it from a profit point of view, more supply chain and product shortages.

None of that would be magically fixed by allowing 17 year olds to get a forklift licence, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

It's a moot discussion anyway as it's a state decision, not Morrisons, all he can do is make a suggestion and ask them to consider it. With the different licensing conditions and restrictions applying to Cars in different states and territories, I'd suggest there's zero chance of getting a uniform approach.

Quote:
The minimum driving age for drivers varies between states and territories. Learner drivers may drive, under the supervision of a fully licensed driver, from 15 years and 9 months in the ACT,[5] and 16 years in the other states and the Northern Territory. The minimum unsupervised driving age is 18 years in Victoria, 16 years and 6 months in the Northern Territory, and 17 years in all other states and the ACT.

After obtaining a licence, drivers continue to be subject to restrictions during a probationary period, which is two years in the Northern Territory and Western Australia, three years in the ACT, New South Wales and South Australia, and four years in Victoria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_licences_in_Australia

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Booked prior to Christmas.

Now other places, such as the Windsor, are booked out.

Update:
After my sister ringing around other venues, the Windsor has been very helpful and has been able to accomodate our booking for High tea, albeit in a separate room. Definitely much better customer service than Crown.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:10 pm

Great news, enjoy xx
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:22 pm

The Windsor is cool.

Back in 96, my Dad spent 6 weeks as an in/out patient at Peter Mac which back then was just down the road a bit. (I'd take him in Monday morning on the way to work and pick him up and take him back to my place Saturday morning) He was getting radiation treatment weekdays on his face post cancer surgery which left him looking like The Elephant man. (so called plastic surgeon was a drunk with a chainsaw)

Anyway, each afternoon after lunch, he'd get out of bed, put on his good clothes and Akubra, light up a Marlboro and walk up hill to the Windsor for a few pots. The staff there always made him welcome, after a bit they'd see him coming in and pour him a pot in anticipation, with a plastic straw in it without being asked (his mouth was so mangled he couldn't drink without one).

Old fashioned class with old fashioned manners and customer service.

Enjoy your High Tea.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:47 am

So week 2 with the new role, been doing a lot of meets and greets with execs and snr managers, all online of course.

This place has it's own Op Shop and apparently they have some pretty high end donors. One of the items they get regularly are the paper bags that high end shops like Chanel give you when you buy stuff.

People will pay $40 for a high end brand name paper bag. Shocked

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 pm

WTF, that’s nuts! Where is the op shop? Any fancy dresses?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:03 pm

Enjoy the link.

Drove to Tocumwal this morning, fkn he'll it's humid, worse than Melbourne, Confused Whippersnipped the yard and I was drenched. Put the tools away, I'll mow early tomorrow morning, instead installed a new air con in the bedroom and went for a swim

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:10 pm

Listening to a chat about the Olympics on the radio and was reminded that Brisbane will be hosting the 2032 Olympics. WTF? I thought Melbourne was suppossed to be the sporting capital of Australia!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:06 pm

We were until 2014.

But apparently could be hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games with a lot of interest from Regional Victoria.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:37 pm

#26 wrote:
Listening to a chat about the Olympics on the radio and was reminded that Brisbane will be hosting the 2032 Olympics. WTF? I thought Melbourne was suppossed to be the sporting capital of Australia!

Oh god, what a nightmare that would have been! Happy for that circus to stay out of this city for the next century.

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:33 pm

^ Nah. You'd dig it the most, David. Wink
roar 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:42 am

David wrote:
#26 wrote:

Oh god, what a nightmare that would have been! Happy for that circus to stay out of this city for the next century.

Amen to that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 40 of 66   

Jump to: