Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I can kind of understand that argument when it comes to physical sports where someone with XY chromosomes might have inherent strength advantages. But this is a beauty contest; I don't see how being trans gives you an unfair advantage in this context. Opposing participation in this context seems like chauvinism, pure and simple.

But the real question is....

Did she win because she is trans or did she win on merit?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:02 am

I think it’s only fair to assume the latter unless there’s evidence to the contrary:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12282589/amp/Who-Rikkie-Valerie-Kolle-transgender-woman-crowned-Miss-Netherlands.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:44 am

You can, I don’t
Not for a minute

Aldo note You can photoshop any photo but not a video

Quite frankly any woman who looked like that would never have got as far as the stage and that’s the brutal honest truth

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:10 am

Well, here’s a video then:
https://youtu.be/CGdfBsplhQ4

She’s not exactly the Hunchback of Notre Dame: https://youtu.be/E7i1eS9i78M

It’s literally impossible to win an argument over whether someone’s hot enough to be a beauty contest competitor, because perception of beauty is subjective, and it’s ultimately up to the judges to make that call, not you or me. Personally, if it did transpire that they’d relaxed their standards, that would sound like modest progress to me. I hope that all of us here have been able to find beauty in people who don’t meet the conventionally attractive ideal, so a narrow interpretation of that is hardly something to celebrate.

But it’s amazing to me that the internet schoolyard bullies (search "Miss Universe" on Twitter and you’ll see what I mean) who are so vigorously asserting Rikkie’s ugliness based on one or two badly lit photos may have convinced themselves that they have the moral high ground here, and that they’re standing up for women by policing this space. There’s ugliness here alright, but it’s certainly not in the trans women who dare to try to be accepted in places where they’ve always been told they don’t belong.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:08 pm

I also said I don’t care how attractive she is, the contest only be open to women, not trans women, they can have their own contest.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:25 pm

You've said that, but haven't provided a justification for that exclusion. The debate about participation in women's sport is about things like testosterone and muscle mass and the question of whether there can be fair competition if certain biological advantages are present. We have very different views on that, but I can appreciate your position there at least.

This, on the other hand, is a contest about looking pretty and making nice speeches. In what world is a trans woman unfairly advantaged in that field? Or do you just want transgender people left out of anything to do with women regardless?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:44 pm

David wrote:
I think it’s only fair to assume the latter unless there’s evidence to the contrary:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12282589/amp/Who-Rikkie-Valerie-Kolle-transgender-woman-crowned-Miss-Netherlands.html

Except for the bee sting lips which I generally hate, she's quite attractive.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:28 pm

I don’t feel the need to justify it, it’s a competition for woman, not women who used to be men.

You might as well let drag queens and cross dressers in

Biologically she will always be a he

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:46 pm

David wrote:
Unlike what you and Stui suggest above, I can handle diametrically opposed views to me on this issue and many others (and it probably helps that I have no skin in the game, so stuff like that doesn’t hurt me the way it might hurt others). But whatever our views, respect and empathy is the place we have to start from.

I don't think you handle diametrically opposed views as well as you think you do to be honest.

I have no skin in this game, but it seems that you do and that's fine, just acknowledge it.

I completely agree that empathy and respect are the starting points.

I personally have no opinion on a Trans woman entering a beauty competition, but I do respect that TP does.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:13 pm

Thankyou Stu.

I do have empathy and respect for just about everyone on the planet. I don’t exclude anyone for race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, from that at all.

I also don’t believe one part of society should have their level playing field ripped out from under them for the sake of another part.

I am a woman, I have daughters, I both seen and felt discrimination for that fact. I doubt there is a woman on earth who hasn’t.

The trans section of society have certainly dealt with this and much more, however, it’s still undeniable that they were once the opposite gender. I don’t want them excluded, I want them separate, as men and woman are. That doesn’t mean I think they are less than, it means I think they are different.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:11 am

stui magpie wrote:
I have no skin in this game, but it seems that you do and that's fine, just acknowledge it.

Not especially. I have friends who are trans but I’m hardly Robinson Crusoe on that front. Unfortunately they’re just a popular punching bag right now in certain quarters and that pisses me off.

You’ll recall that Muslims were a constant object of loathing in here a few years back and I got in a lot of arguments over that, but it seems like the carousel has moved on from that front for the time being. We all have choices in how we respond to bigotry, whether that’s to push back, shrug it off or join in the kicking.

stui magpie wrote:
I personally have no opinion on a Trans woman entering a beauty competition, but I do respect that TP does.

"No opinion" is still an opinion. You’re also entitled to it, just as others are allowed to take a firmer stance.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:25 am

I’m not a bigot, and I don’t use anyone for a punching bag, i am simply standing up for a gender related level playing field every natural born woman.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:11 pm

Quote:
A former childcare worker has been charged with 1,623 child abuse offences against 91 children, police have revealed.

Key points:
The AFP says the offences occurred at childcare centres in Brisbane, Sydney and overseas
Police will allege all offences were against pre-pubescent girls
The AFP is "highly confident" all 87 Australian children involved have been identified
A Gold Coast man, 45, has been charged with 136 counts of rape and 110 counts of sexual intercourse with a child under 10

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-01/qld-afp-child-abuse-police-investigation-child-care-worker/102672216

WTAF? If found guilty, cut his balls off and lock him up until he dies

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:41 pm

Yep let him bleed out slowly
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:02 pm

On a positive WTF, in 2015 I think it was I bought a Kobo eReader. It's an electronic book. Back then before the torrent sites all got blocked, you could go on and search and download books in .pdf version which the Kobo could read. That's why I got it instead of the Kindle which had a special format you could only read on a Kindle.

Anyway, took it to the USA in 2015 and 2016. Very handy on the 15 hour flight to LA, kick back, have a few drinks and read a book.

Several years ago I threw it in a drawer and forgot about it but pulled it out a few days ago, charged it up and the fkn thing still works fine. Shocked Very Happy

I thought the battery would have shit itself or something but nope, charged up quickly, held a charge while sitting on the desk for a few days, connected it to Wifi and it updated the software and it still fkn works. You bewdy, she's coming to Darwin with me next month.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 62 of 66   

Jump to: