Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
https://www.iflscience.com/technology/company-offers-employees-pods-to-masturbate-in-complete-with-vr-headsets/

Look, I'd like to see afternoon siestas made mandatory first before we get to this, but this is a great idea and I'm 100% for it. Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:37 am

I wonder how many people have been caught in the process by an unexpected video call while working from home in the last 2 years. Laughing
David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:51 pm

At least one …

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epdgm4/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-zoom-dick-incident

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:24 pm

Laughing oops.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Watching Pawnstars. It never ceases to amaze me how people think they can get retail price by selling something to a Pawn Shop.

FFS, their business model is basically buy at <50% of retail and aim to sell at retail.

If you want retail price, put it on Facebook or ebay

Stu, as you know - the general rule of thumb is that a pawnbroker will give you 20% of the value of said item, IF they think they can move it.

I'm sure the producers of Pawnstars tell all potential sellers to aim for the stars when haggling commences with the floor staff, as it creates dramatic tension for each scenario, as they seem to have 2-3 cameras present when recording.
I like it when they pre-call the experts in to authenticate and appraise items, if unsure of their worth; that's great arbitration!

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:54 pm

This utterly depressing new ad for Facebook's VR pivot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8lthAAjxZc

I think this YouTube comment sums it up best: "If you're circling the drain, and ready to go down, why not circle that drain one more time in Meta!?"

I'm genuinely excited about VR and its possibilities, but Zuckerberg seems to be doing his best to make it seem like part of a dystopian hell-future.

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:56 pm

Driving through Fitzroy today, I saw campaign posters for a One Nation candidate who is running for the seat, of Melbourne, currently held by Adam Bandt. Stranger still was that no one had defaced the posters yet. I guess he's a chance if enough hipsters decide to vote for him ironically. Razz

https://www.onenation.org.au/melbourne
David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:14 pm

Interesting! I get the impression CBD-based seats do attract a few more randoms, though I'm not sure what exactly they're hoping to get from it. This year, it looks like not only One Nation but also the Palmer party and Lib Dems are standing in Melbourne.

Here are some previous results from right-wing minor party candidates in the seat:

2019: Tony Pecora (UAP) 1.16%
2016: –
2013: Martin Vrbnjak (UAP) 0.92%, Noelle Walker (Family First) 0.54%, Michael Murphy (DLP) 0.52%, Joyce Khoo (Rise Up Australia) 0.20%
2010: Georgia Pearson (Family First) 1.55%
2007: Georgia Pearson (Family First) 1.00%, Andrew Reed (Citizens Electoral Council) 0.67%
2004: Chris Willis (Family First) 0.88%, Rhys McGuckin (Citizens Electoral Council) 0.18%

Certainly not a lot of votes to share around! In all of the above cases, we're talking under 2000 out of around 90,000 votes collectively. To further illustrate how small that is, the seat's Sex/Reason Party candidates have doubled that entire primary vote on their own in the past two elections.

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:25 pm

Seems like a complete waste of time, considering that Adam Bandt got about 71% of the vote last time.
David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Not much of a moneymaker, either. You get a bit under $3 per primary vote, but have to pay a $2000 deposit to stand which you only get back if you poll more than 4% of the vote (which, of the smaller parties, only the Reason Party in 2019 have come close to achieving in Melbourne in the last two decades). Combine that with production of campaign materials, paying staff and other expenses, and I doubt the $1143 that the UAP made back from the AEC last election made it a worthwhile endeavour – though I guess it was a drop in the ocean for Clive.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:46 pm

Delusions of grandeur, perhaps?

Or maybe the optics of having candidates in multiple seats are better than the optics of only having candidates in a handful of seats
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:59 am

They were talking about the death of Kimberley Kitching on the ABC this morning and Michael Roland finished the discussion by saying Labor Party politics is not for the faint hearted. Rolling Eyes
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:56 am

That seems like a pretty accurate statement, isn't it? Or is the eyeroll because it's an understatement?

Rundle had a piece on Kitching today. I haven't posted anything here about her death (under the principle of if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all), but to put it bluntly I think the ALP and parliament as a whole is better for her absence:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2022/03/21/the-true-story-of-kimberley-kitching-and-the-labor-gang/

Quote:
Does any of this add up to anything huge? Not bit by bit. It’s the pathetic, squalid daily business of factional campaigning. But when Kitching’s dewy-eyed supporters euphemise her career as “playing hard”, this is what they mean. Look at the entitlement, look at the casual lying.

These are people who take over unions that represent low-paid health care workers, for God’s sake — the people who do the (literally) shitty jobs that keep you alive. They are repaid with union bosses who crush any possibility of rank-and-file candidates getting elected, or even standing — with darker methods than the ones I’m describing here — and then use it as a base for factional and career advancement while madly burning money on obsessive spats and indulgences. The left, liberal, white feminists eulogising Kitching should bear in mind that these health union members are in great numbers, women and men of colour, many recent migrants.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:04 am

Pretty accurate summation of the HSU and Asmar.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:42 am

David wrote:
That seems like a pretty accurate statement, isn't it? Or is the eyeroll because it's an understatement?

The woman died from a heart attack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 43 of 66   

Jump to: