Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

5150 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I like Kookaburras.

I like Brumbies

I may have to go shopping and get some Coco Pops and Froot Loops, some C00n cheese, some chicos and redskins from the lolly aisle and get a slab of beer from the Colonial brewery, as long as it doesn't taste like Emu Export. WA can do wine well but only Adelaide does worse beer.

I buy some fads and we’ll meet at the E.S Brown oval in Toowoomba and have some toasties...

Lets meet in Tittybong. I'll bring the bong...... Razz

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^ I loved the Big Boss and Fags lollies when I was a kid

Big boss with the sugary red tip and the chocolate cigarettes were awesome.
It’s funny I had heaps of each as a tin lid but never smoked a single cigarette In my life.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:28 pm

The Big Boss Cigar was good. I never liked the chocolate cigs, the paper was a PITA, the fags were good.

And yeah I smoked, but both parents smoked, I was a passive smoker from a real early age.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
The coco pops monkey is now under threat.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2020/06/disgraced-uk-mp-blasts-kellogg-s-as-racist-due-to-monkey-on-coco-pops-box.html

Remind me - what accent did he speak with in the TV ads? I can’t recall but I do have him bracketed with “Lime Fresh, Fresh Lime” - and that’s not a good thing.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 pm

^

40 years of Coco Pops ads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PMZ2oVN6CE

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 pm

I’m not watching 27 minutes of ads - but those aren’t the Coco Pops Monkey we had/have, more like a gorilla - the advertising was obviously different in the UK. What I had in mind was Coco saying “Just like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy” - my recollection was that he must’ve been a Central or South American monkey because he had a pronounced Hispanic accent (not unlike Speedy Gonzalez to my childish ears). No doubt, Coco’s dress-style was intended to connote some stereotype, too. I don’t think there’s much doubt he was a racist caricature in the form we had him. Whatever he was, he wasn’t really a “monkey”.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:43 pm

OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't.

Try this one, it seems to have all the elements you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ksutTdZWM

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm

Can’t decide whether that MP is a genius or an idiot, lol. This certainly never occurred to me as a possibility until now...

Whatever you do, though, don’t try the special edition white chocolate Coco Pops. Take it from me.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
The coco pops monkey is now under threat.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2020/06/disgraced-uk-mp-blasts-kellogg-s-as-racist-due-to-monkey-on-coco-pops-box.html

how $$%^%%$ ridiculous! did anyone seriously see this add and think RACIST!!

not me, i thought crunchy chocolate milkshake, and yum, i mean smack some on some good quality valilla icecream, its da bomb, add some Kahlua, oh man!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't

Well that’s obviously because you are drinking from the wrong glass - get thee some of these and bang - the light will shine down on thee and you will be enlightened and understand that this is the way forward ( the only way and the only voice) .......

https://www.cafepress.com.au/+drinking_glass,46246442

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:02 am

David wrote:
Whatever you do, though, don’t try the special edition white chocolate Coco Pops. Take it from me.

They're awful. 2 preteens here + me who all love sweet cereal and nobody wants them Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 am

stui magpie wrote:
OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't.

Try this one, it seems to have all the elements you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ksutTdZWM

That’s at least a decade too late. It looks like the advertisers understood the problem, according to their own lights, and by 1982 had got rid of the thick, caricature accent.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 am

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:

They're awful. 2 preteens here + me who all love sweet cereal and nobody wants them Laughing

Agreed! Just revolting. I can do Nutri Grain, Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes, even Froot Loops on a good day, but I’d love to know how many times over the decades "Coco Pops ... but white chocolate" has come up in Kellogg’s committee meetings and been shot down before they finally succumbed. Sadly, I’m a sucker for novelty. Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:20 am

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't

Well that’s obviously because you are drinking from the wrong glass - get thee some of these and bang - the light will shine down on thee and you will be enlightened and understand that this is the way forward ( the only way and the only voice) .......

https://www.cafepress.com.au/+drinking_glass,46246442

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:25 am

All dickheads like Josh Thomas, that former MP and now the Coco pops clan are doing is trivialising the issue.

Doing that just makes people who are sympathetic to the real issue become less sympathetic and eventually resentful of the whole thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 5 of 66   

Jump to: