Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Yeah but someone will go though his family history and find something! I wonder if street names are next on the agenda

Meanwhile how do you feel about the Kookaburra culls in Tassie?? Is it really necessary

As I very vaguely recall, Dr Coon was a right aresehole of a human being. But he was nothing compared to the utterly nasty Dr Kellog (the corn flakes man). No shortage of nasty family history on a Corn Flakes packet, that's for sure.

Culling kookaburras? Sure. They are feral, don't belong here, and endanger the native birds. But it's a bit of a waste of time if they aren't going to go the whole hog and wipe them out. (That is almost certainly impossible with any sensible budget. And if you did have that sort of money you'd go for House Sparrows and European Blackbirds.)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:08 am

What birds are native to Tassie that aren't in the rest of Aus where the Kookaburra is also native?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 pm

There may be a better answer - but here’s an article that identifies 12 Tasmanian endemic species that are found nowhere else on Earth:

https://tasmaniantimes.com/2018/06/all-about-tassies-endemic-birds-d1/
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:35 pm

think positive wrote:
Yeah but someone will go though his family history and find something! I wonder if street names are next on the agenda

Meanwhile how do you feel about the Kookaburra culls in Tassie?? Is it really necessary

Nup, these loonies won’t stop at street names, suburbs, dairy goods and beers.
They are going after the States of Victoria and Queensland.

Can’t post the link at the moment but it’s a Greens senator or candidate.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/politics/former-greens-mp-on-why-victoria-queensland-should-consider-changing-names/news-story/e4f0aa0e0da7308308c77e06aed1a496

I get it – it’s dumb and anachronistic to have places named after British royals, and symbolic of our colonial past – but also think it’s a waste of time and energy to discuss something nobody would ever support, and just a free kick to News Corp to allow them to run another "Crazy Greens" story. Like, we’re not even a republic yet? The queen is still our head of state and on all our coins? When your most ambitious political idea is to change place names, it kind of raises questions about your political priorities and seriousness, in my view.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:36 pm

David wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/politics/former-greens-mp-on-why-victoria-queensland-should-consider-changing-names/news-story/e4f0aa0e0da7308308c77e06aed1a496

I get it – it’s dumb and anachronistic to have places named after British royals, and symbolic of our colonial past – but also think it’s a waste of time and energy to discuss something nobody would ever support, and just a free kick to News Corp to allow them to run another "Crazy Greens" story. Like, we’re not even a republic yet? The queen is still our head of state and on all our coins? When your most ambitious political idea is to change place names, it kind of raises questions about your political priorities and seriousness, in my view.

Bingo.

Over the years lots of places have changed names, quietlym usually after community consultation and no show boating.

If we don't have more important things to consider and/or discuss than whether to change the name of the state, I'm he for tiggy.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:51 pm

What’s wrong with, say, “Kevin” and “Charlene” as names for these States?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 pm

I prefer names with character. eg

Tittybong

Mywee

wunghnu (pronounced one Ewe)

Poowong

Yorkey's Knob

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Yorkey must've had something pretty special going on to get a suburb named after him Laughing
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
What’s wrong with, say, “Kevin” and “Charlene” as names for these States?

We could all lobby for Victoria to be changed to Nicks.

We'll get black and white number plates with the logo. Nicks... the place to be or Nicks... we don't talk smoke and mirrors behind the shadows.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:32 pm

stui magpie wrote:
What birds are native to Tassie that aren't in the rest of Aus where the Kookaburra is also native?

Pies4shaw wrote:
There may be a better answer - but here’s an article that identifies 12 Tasmanian endemic species that are found nowhere else on Earth: https://tasmaniantimes.com/2018/06/all-about-tassies-endemic-birds-d1/

Not to mention the ones which are found on both islands (i.e., are not Tasmanian endemics like the 12 listed by P4S) and require both places for survival. The Swift Parrot and the Orange-bellied Parrot are two obvious examples, though there may be others. Note that both species are obligate hollow nesters - in other words, they can only breed in tree hollows (something that is in very short supply in Tasmania because crazy-inappropriate logging is practically a way of life here) and must compete for those very scarce hollows with introduced kookaburras, not to mention introduced Common Starlings.

I am not up to speed on the impact of kookaburras on Tasmanian wildlife, but it certainly has the potential to be a major problem. Whether it is already, I don't know. But look at it this way: no-one is going to spend money culling them if they don't feel it is essential. Environmental budgets are mega-tight, especially under this government.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:54 pm

The coco pops monkey is now under threat.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2020/06/disgraced-uk-mp-blasts-kellogg-s-as-racist-due-to-monkey-on-coco-pops-box.html

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm

I like Kookaburras.

I like Brumbies

I may have to go shopping and get some Coco Pops and Froot Loops, some C00n cheese, some chicos and redskins from the lolly aisle and get a slab of beer from the Colonial brewery, as long as it doesn't taste like Emu Export. WA can do wine well but only Adelaide does worse beer.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I like Kookaburras.

I like Brumbies

I may have to go shopping and get some Coco Pops and Froot Loops, some C00n cheese, some chicos and redskins from the lolly aisle and get a slab of beer from the Colonial brewery, as long as it doesn't taste like Emu Export. WA can do wine well but only Adelaide does worse beer.

I buy some fads and we’ll meet at the E.S Brown oval in Toowoomba and have some toasties...
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:15 pm

^ I loved the Big Boss and Fags lollies when I was a kid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 4 of 66   

Jump to: