Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://7news.com.au/news/crime/driver-ran-red-light-killed-10-year-old-c-6594122
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:24 pm

Imagine having that on your conscience. Probably a greater punishment than any jail time he could have served.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:16 pm

Maybe maybe not. It should. But some people are utter scum and still play the victim.

Throw away the key

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:41 pm

So I've read the article, it doesn't say that he won't face jail time, just that he might not, that decision hasn't been made.

There's no indication that he was speeding or under the influence, he just lost concentration and didn't see the pedestrian light go red. Anyone who says they haven't been not concentrating while driving is lying.

He stopped at the scene, tried to render assistance and called 000 and has expressed sincere remorse. Hardly comes across as someone evil, I personally wouldn't object to a community corrections order rather than a custodial sentence, locking him up won't bring the kid back.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:40 pm

^ Agreed.

Don't know if this one is a "pisses me off" or just "mildly annoying" thing, but something that I've noticed of late. I don't particularly care about Grace Tame or any other Australian of the Year barracking for Labor – she's entitled to publicly support whichever party she likes, of course – but all this fawning over Albo (and the accompanying social media commentary about how amazing and surprising the difference between her treatment of him vs Morrison is) is a bit much. No doubt preselection isn’t too many election cycles away.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10761329/Grace-Tame-reduced-TEARS-interviews-Anthony-Albanese.html?fr=operanews

Last edited by David on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:58 pm

My view is simple.

Grace Tame is a victim/survivor of sexual assault. I'll value her opinion on that topic just like I'd value the opinion of an athlete on the sport they competed in, an actor on acting or a musician on music.

When they stray outside their wheelhouse and intellect I lose interest.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:59 am

stui magpie wrote:
So I've read the article, it doesn't say that he won't face jail time, just that he might not, that decision hasn't been made.

There's no indication that he was speeding or under the influence, he just lost concentration and didn't see the pedestrian light go red. Anyone who says they haven't been not concentrating while driving is lying.

He stopped at the scene, tried to render assistance and called 000 and has expressed sincere remorse. Hardly comes across as someone evil, I personally wouldn't object to a community corrections order rather than a custodial sentence, locking him up won't bring the kid back.

To hit someone already in the crossing and the other people had time to hear him coming and pull back suggests it wasn’t a case of just missing the light.

Distracted makes me assume mobile phone usage most likely to blame.

Yes we all do it, but fact is if I ran a red light and killed someone because I was distracted by a phone, I’d be expecting jail time.

But it seems typical of Victoria’s justice system finding some excuse to let people off for killing someone. If it’s as simple as pleading guilty and acting remorseful, anyone can do that. Guess it’d free up the prison system pretty quickly!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:44 am

not often i agree with you but here, 110%
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:05 pm

If he was on his phone then I'd agree, but there's no evidence of that. My assumption was he was tired, on the way home from work and lost concentration at the wrong time.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:55 am

Got a call from the parents-in-law yesterday expressing "concern" about us choosing to have a refugee stay with us. "You don't know what you might be getting yourself into", etc. This is, by the way, in regard to a lovely young woman who's been staying with us for a month-and-a-half now – one of many people who are in desperate need of a place to stay and are relying solely on the kindness and trust of strangers – and has been no trouble at all.

Beyond the small-mindedness and prejudice (and, like, failure to understand that Lola and I are adults fully capable of navigating the world and its dangers on our own), what really gets me riled up is that these are people who go months without contacting us, never seem to want to see their grandson, have never offered to help with anything and – not to be too hung up the past – um, one time disappeared off to another country without even telling their daughter they were leaving. And they want to express concern for our safety now?!

We've long learned to never expect anything from them (and I find it a good approach in life not to, generally). But honestly, there's useless, and then there's worse than useless, and these people are firmly in the latter category.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:06 pm

OK, Wow. Shocked

Apart from the other stuff is there a bit of politics in this? They're siding with Russia and have problems with you sheltering a Ukranian?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:18 pm

Yeah, I’m not sure if that’s a factor, though the possibility did cross my mind. I think they watch Russian news, so they’ve probably been exposed to a lot of propaganda. But given Lola’s mother is Ukrainian herself and her own city is being bombed to smithereens, I’d find it pretty astonishing if she’s taking Putin’s side in this. (And yes, it goes to show the quality of our relationship that I have no idea what their stance is on it; until yesterday, we hadn't talked since before the war began.)

I think they’re just deeply paranoid and miserable people, honestly.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:32 pm

OK, so you won't be inviting them to come over and stay for a holiday here any time soon. Razz Wink
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:47 pm

Oh, they currently live five minutes’ drive from us! Forgot to mention that. Rolling Eyes
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:15 pm

That belongs in the WTF thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 25 of 46   

Jump to: